Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/07/2007, 11:43 AM
Registered Member

I don't hav pics of mine, but I like to give the fish plenty of room to swim around. It is only a 55. but I also noticed a lot of people pack a ton a rock in theirs and I wonder how much room the fish have to actually swim around. I like all these tanks tho, very nice
Old 12/08/2007, 06:55 AM
Registered Member

CWard's tank has always been one of my favorites.
It's comprised of a smaller number of large colonies, rather than tens or hundres of mini colonies. Looks more natural to me.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-10/totm/index.php
Old 12/08/2007, 09:16 AM
King of the Apes

CWard's tank has always been one of my favorite tanks ever.

It truly looks like a slice of the ocean.
Old 12/09/2007, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fras
clean and minimalist to me means rimless with as little equipment as possible on show. I think invincibles tank certainly qualifies, it's really beautiful:

His blog is a great read, I'd highly recommend it if you're interested in this kind of thing:

http://www.islaescondido.com/

Thanks for the positive feedback! There definitely has to be a balance on the amount of liverock, the presentation, and its overall surroundings.
Old 12/09/2007, 09:04 AM
problem algae grower

heres mine
Old 12/10/2007, 07:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by invincible569
Thanks for the positive feedback! There definitely has to be a balance on the amount of liverock, the presentation, and its overall surroundings.
I agree, your tank looks awesome!
Old 12/10/2007, 07:03 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by King-Kong
Lost any?... how about 20!

Overall I had 20 die in order to get 7 that eat. Once they eat, theyre home free (I think../hope )

They are very very very very docile. and, in fact, other fish ignore them more than other fish! For example, my lineatus wrasse attacks my chromis from time to time, but he totally ignores my threadfins... no one seems them as any kind of threat.
Is that pretty common with those fish? I really love the look of them, but dont really feel comfortable losing so many...

anyone else kept these?
Old 12/10/2007, 07:04 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by adtravels
heres mine
Your tank looks awesome, what kinda nem is that? does it stay put?
Old 12/10/2007, 08:48 PM
King of the Apes

Quote:
Originally posted by chelskisw6
Is that pretty common with those fish? I really love the look of them, but dont really feel comfortable losing so many...

anyone else kept these?
Based on a lot of the information I've gathered, it's very common.

Your best bets would be:

-Find a LFS willing to "acclimate" them for you, before you have to pay for a single one
-Purchase them from Live Aquaria's Diver Den

..and also, I would suggest housing them in a low-flow, low-light, and low-stress environment (such as a fuge) until they begin to eat.

These fish were harder to get to eat than my Dispar anthias, but once they started eating, they wouldnt stop; flake, live, or frozen, they eat it.
Old 12/11/2007, 06:26 AM
Registered Member

good advice... my only issue with live aquaria is im in London now... I dont think they ship that far, and even if they did it wouldnt be cost effective.

I guess i could order them into a shop here and just wait a week or so to see if they eat.
Old 12/11/2007, 09:22 AM
g l a s s b o x

they dont ship well...best bet is to find them at a LFS eating and acclimated.jme.

"i like bubbly, and i love animals - so it works out well"

"there are a lot of people out there who think they have a modern house simply because they have alot of steel in it"
Old 12/11/2007, 09:49 AM
Premium Member

After reading this thread, I want to take more rock out of my tank! Anyone see a problem with this? I hate to hijack this thread, but less is more seems to make a very nice concept. I just don't want to take out a bunch of rock and have everything go crazy because I removed a bunch of biological filtration.. should I be worried?

Go SunDevils...there's always next year!
Old 12/11/2007, 10:04 AM
Premium Member

Do you have a sump? If so, you could put the liverock in there and I believe you'll get the same biological filtration.
Old 12/11/2007, 10:14 AM
Nothing to put here

Quote:
Originally posted by dzeadow
After reading this thread, I want to take more rock out of my tank! Anyone see a problem with this? I hate to hijack this thread, but less is more seems to make a very nice concept. I just don't want to take out a bunch of rock and have everything go crazy because I removed a bunch of biological filtration.. should I be worried?
Depending on the porosity of your rock, your bioload, how much you feed, and your other means of filtration, I would say most tanks can go down to about 1/2 lb per gallon with no ill effects.
Old 12/11/2007, 10:17 AM
Premium Member

I unfortunately don't have a sump. As far as filtration, just an octopus hang on skimmer and a phosphate reactor. What if I took out like one piece a week? That'd let the bacteria on the other left over rocks catch up slowly right?

Old 12/11/2007, 10:26 AM
King of the Apes

Quote:
Originally posted by dzeadow
No -- no worries

Ever seen how little rock Bomber has in his tank? What about Leonardo's tank? Tons of fish, and a really small amount of LR.

I removed a lot of the LR in my tank, and all of my corals are doing quite fine: http://www.d3f.org/misc/fish/90g/a11-full-tank.jpg
Old 12/11/2007, 10:29 AM
Premium Member

do you have any LR in your sump though? Or is that all the LR you have in your entire system?

Old 12/11/2007, 10:41 AM
King of the Apes

that's all of it.
Old 12/11/2007, 10:42 AM
King of the Apes

My sump: (older shot) http://www.d3f.org/misc/fish/90g/a08-bm250-3.jpg
Old 12/11/2007, 10:57 AM
Premium Member

King-Kong - that is a nice setup. Approx. how much live rock do you have? Obviously, your setup is doing well.
Old 12/11/2007, 12:07 PM
King of the Apes

Thanks -- if I had to guess, i'd say somewhere around 35-40lbs of LR.