Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > SCUBA/Snorkeling

Old 01/06/2008, 01:15 AM
Registered Member

Snokeling @ Hotel

Anyone know a good hotel in the carribean/mexico that you can get decent, don't need great, snorkeling right off the hotel beach? I'm looking for a place I can go out for an hour or two, go have a beer, go out later, repeat. Rather than having a big production of getting on a boat, driving to another beach, etc. etc.
Old 01/07/2008, 03:54 PM
Registered Member

Cozumel Palace in Cozumel, Mexico has a sea wall with glass panes overlooking a small reef. They have steps down the seawall into the water.

Not bad snorkelling for free and no boat ride. Close to bars and all inclusive so you can get a head start at the hotel bar before heading to the club.

The small reef area is full of tangs, parrotfish, snapper, and various other small fish. It ranges from around 3 feet to down around 20 feet. We also saw some snake eels, urchins, etc. etc.

They also offer free snorkelling tours via boat if the urge strikes you. We really liked the resort as well for what it's worth. No beach but, they do have their own little reef. They did bring in some sand for an artificial beach overlooking the sea walls and the snorkeling areas
Old 01/07/2008, 04:01 PM
reefaholic

Hyatt Cerromar and Hyatt Dorado in Puerto Rico have snorkeling at the beach, fish and coral. I used to get sent there on business trips, and would snorkel there before and after work. Way cool snorkeling. The Cerromar has a river pool in addition to the regular pools - way cool to float around the river pool with a drink

The Marriott in Curacao also has snorkeling at the beach, very good fish and coral.

Visit our CTARS club website by clicking the 'red house' icon above :)
Old 01/07/2008, 11:33 PM
Registered Member

Cool, thanks for the ideas guys. Cozumel Palace looks pretty cool. You like the food?
Old 01/08/2008, 09:27 AM
Registered Member

I liked the food, my wife wasn't crazy about it. She thought it was a bit bland, but when cooking for a few hundred people, I suppose that can be expected.

I actually thought some of the food was very good. Other was so, so, but for an all-inclusive, I enjoyed most of it.
Old 01/08/2008, 07:06 PM
10 & Over Club

Several of the Hotels in Bonaire, Sand Dollar, Capt Don's, etc. have excellent snorkeling right in front. Some of the Hotels in Grand Cayman as well.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 01/08/2008, 07:21 PM
Premium Member

marking this thread for my fantasy trip
Old 01/09/2008, 07:22 PM
Registered Member

I just got back from Couples resort in Negril Jamaica snorkeling and diving were included they pick you up on the beach outside your room (now thats what I call all inclusive) snorkeling wasnt to bad diving was ok not alot of large sea life in Jamaica they tend to eat anything that makes a meal. I did however come across a pod of dolphins on 2 of the dives that was pretty cool, they were interested in the divers for a few minutes did a night snorkel and dive there as well overall great experience. I send alot of clients here and am glad to see the quality is still there.
Old 01/10/2008, 12:37 AM
Premium Member

If you like to rough it a bit,

there's a place called Kitty's Resort in Placencia, Belize. I stayed there and it's a wonderful, quiet beach. However, for reef snorkeling you either have to do a boat excursion to the reef (45 minutes of bumpy boat ride), OR...they have a "private island" you can stay at with just a rustic cabin and a caretaker to provide food. I'm pretty sure that this island has snorkeling from the beach. If you decide to look into it, make sure you ask if the beach has sand fleas. Some of the beaches in that neck of the woods have them.
The water sure is beautiful, there.
Old 01/10/2008, 11:46 AM
Keeper of Tangs

wow great listing of places guys. Cozumel is a great place to go.
Old 01/10/2008, 02:05 PM
Registered Member

I fell in love with Cozumel on our honeymoon. I liked it so much better than Cancun/Riviera just because it seemed safe yet more authentic.

Great place.