Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Responsible Reefkeeping

Old 12/27/2007, 03:05 AM
Registered Member

Conservation (continued)$$$

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1279108

This is a continuation of the above post.

First of all, I think that saving as many as possible from each category would be a start, which I think as home Aquarists.. We are already at a head start. But we need to ensure the survival contractually..

So my next question is, how does one save coral. Does it have to be entire colonies, or could we freeze tissue samples of each.

I am almost certain that the so called "next trillion dollar industry" nanotechnology will come to appreciate the chemical defense systems as the biomedical industry has already begun to. And if there's nothing to look at, I fear we will miss out on breakthrough advancement in our own survival.

So aside from aesthetics, (which I think corals are way prettier than koala bears). But regardless of reintroduction into the wild or even some food source. But purely for science.

I might be wrong so anyone with a PHD in biology feel free to tell me so. But isn't nature the most valuable of resources for understanding technology of health and prosperity. And to that effect isn't coral and all the biodiversity on a warm tropical reef which is so hard to identify... one of the most important resources.
Also, if it so hard to identify isn't that a testament to it's value. For if we found a new metal we couldn't "figure out" would science not afford every effort to understand it.

I fear we do not have 50 years but like one of you said more like 10 before this opportunity is gone. And I know there are some philanthropists out there that have some pretty deep pockets for projects like this. So never say never. So do you guys think it's worth it? For science?
Old 12/27/2007, 01:36 PM
Registered Member

how does one save coral. Does it have to be entire colonies

yes - freezing tissue won't work. coral tissue is more fragile and if we did freeze it, we have no way to "unfreeze" it and get it to live

"But isn't nature the most valuable of resources for understanding technology of health and prosperity."

probably... but keep in mind that saving rainforest species (which is probably 100x easier than corals) is a stretch for many humans.

"So do you guys think it's worth it? For science?"

of course - and not only for science... for the health of the planet and thus the survival of many ecosystems. again, funding is still the biggest issue. social security, national debt and this war that weve spent 500+ billion on still hold higher priority to most americans and government.

We live with each other, not for ourselves - Protect our planet
Old 12/27/2007, 09:59 PM
10 & Over Club

The best thing is to save the environment

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 12/28/2007, 01:12 AM
Registered Member

I wish I could have more faith in fixing the environment but if you compare the ratio of ecologically sound action in government to time, I am sure we can agree that time is of the essence.

And if we had a red line which today is 2060 for (GLOBAL) fall back assuringly. But what was that prediction 20 years ago....(150 years??) I don't know but I don't remember hearing anything... Although I was 5 years old.

So yes I believe it's up to us (that are aware) of the value of life on this planet to find a way to preserve biology outside of the environment which is subject to politics and time frames which are currently unacceptable...

I truly appreciate the work that go's into fixing the environment and i believe it's helping loads, I wouldn't suggest changing the priority here but I believe it requires an appendage as insurance.

I believe that what we have right now is a group of young adults that are much more aware of this reality than the older crowd. And now is the time to take decisive action to preserve something that may not survive the political generation gap.

I signed the petition at www.reefcheck.org If anyone reading this hasn't please do so now

Meanwhile I propose a project at reefcentral. Maybe some of us could put together the logistics for a project lining the requirements for a noah's ark approach, which will be open to discussion and at least propose something in another direction.... Reefcentral and it's most valuable member base could probably gain some good publicity from this and it would be an act of good faith from one of the largest groups of reef keeping aquarist on the internet.

Regardless if it actually materializes. Things are much easier to swallow when they have a price tag. And let's think out of the box. I couldn't think of a better way to demonstrate some of the emerging clean energy companies. I am obliged to put as much of my time as possible to furthering this effort. If I have any sign of support here I will be the first to throw out a proposal which I'm sure will be faulty but you get the idea...

happy reef keeping

Last edited by billsreef; 12/28/2007 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12/28/2007, 12:49 PM
10 & Over Club

I fixed it your link It's .org, not .com for Reef Check.

I don't have a link handy, but there is a group doing something similar with native North American fish that are endangered. The fish are kept by qualified hobbyist's and institutions that breed them in order to keep the species going.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)