Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Responsible Reefkeeping
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/01/2006, 07:08 AM
RC Staff
American

Quote:
Originally posted by NCreefwannabe
Ive been on alot of hobby forums. Cars mainly, other fish sites, games even lol. This site is by far the nicest ive seen. If you really wan to see flaming on noobs.... go to Your post is in violation of the terms and conditions of use of this web site and has been edited. Further violations will result in revocation of your posting privileges. That place i left after 1 day. Horrible things happen to new guys lol.

I just noticed the link in your post. Let's just say not appropriate. Try to keep that in mind from here forward.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved

at the same level of thinking we were at when we

created them." Albert Einstein

I'm pretty sure it's Mike's fault.....
Old 04/01/2006, 10:21 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wfrost
I actually had a guy a couple of years ago when I was researching my first SW tank tell me I shouldnt get into this hobby if I couldnt afford to spend the thousands of dollars he thought was neccessary to buy all the best, most popular at the time gadgets.

if i could go back and time and tell myself how much i would spend in the next 5 months. i think id back out of it as well lol. i shoulda stuck with the 90 gal discus tank...
Old 04/03/2006, 03:27 AM
Registered Member

People need to remember its a hobby and should be enjoyable. dont take it or yourself to seriously. No one is forcing you to post on this forum! If you have a problem and no good advice to give please dont post a reply to questions you think are stupid. Remember there are countless different ways to setup and take care of reef tanks. Your way is not the only way. It may be or may not be the best way. Be calm and dont rip people apart because they do thing diferent then you do. So far ive had a great experence here and my hats off to the RC staff for looking out for all of us. Thank you all and remember have fun.
Old 04/08/2006, 07:14 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jpfelix
j if you don't relax you'll end up shooting someone for walking on your lawn!
that was an accident i tell you, i didnt know it was loaded!!
Old 04/10/2006, 01:18 AM
Registered Member

I subscribe to an Australian marine forum and it astounded me that quite a few "experts" were so narrow in their thinking and so venomous in their attacks on any lateral thinking. I took it upon myself to PM some of the newbies that were so under attack to offer some hopefully helpful advice. On more than one occasion, those that I PMed were on the point of giving up. What a loss this would be to our hobby. Thank God this forum has some restraint. Even if you disagree with a posting, what is the harm in doing so nicely? Flaming is not a sport!
Old 04/10/2006, 02:38 AM
RC Staff
American

Quote:
Originally posted by impulse
Even if you disagree with a posting, what is the harm in doing so nicely? Flaming is not a sport!

Well said!

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved

at the same level of thinking we were at when we

created them." Albert Einstein

I'm pretty sure it's Mike's fault.....
Old 04/14/2006, 10:52 AM
Registered Member

I'm not new to the hobby either, but I even get grilled by other members if I ask a question or post something they might not understand or don't agree with. I have a beautiful tank and it is doing quite well. Everybody at one time or another has almost given up on the hobby. I was at that point at one time myself. Thanks to good a friend that owns the LFS down the street and helpful members here on RC, my tank is doing great. This is the whole point of RC. Everyone that flames a noob, at one time or another was a noob too. It's funny how so many people forget that.
Old 04/21/2006, 01:54 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by gnrlee
I'm not new to the hobby either, but I even get grilled by other members if I ask a question or post something they might not understand or don't agree with. I have a beautiful tank and it is doing quite well. Everybody at one time or another has almost given up on the hobby. I was at that point at one time myself. Thanks to good a friend that owns the LFS down the street and helpful members here on RC, my tank is doing great. This is the whole point of RC. Everyone that flames a noob, at one time or another was a noob too. It's funny how so many people forget that.
was he your friend before or after you found out you had salt water :P i have friends also at any fish store i go into who wants bussiness .

sorry had to say it. just me being stupid

all boards have flamers. ( rc just seems to have more because... it does have more its the biggest of all the sites) when you see some one flaming just think. this is probobly a guy who yells at people cause he thinks the louder he is the smarter he sounds
Old 04/21/2006, 03:07 PM
XenMaster

This is one thing I constantly remind people of, we are reading words on a screen. You can not hear the tone someone is using, and whatever tone is used for that statement is your own interpretation in your own head. If you ask a question, and you read a reply and feel bashed on, you're going to think that person's using a bashing tone against you when in reality he isn't. It's very hard to just take words at face value because we're typically emotional when we talk to each other. That's why sometimes when I know I'm about to make a comment that can be taken negatively, I will add a word of positive reinforcement at the end of the statement like bro, or buddy.

One thing that I will say that will make me sound like I'd come down on someone, especially noobs, are the ones who just get the equipment because they got it cheap although it's totally impractical like 250W on a 10g tank? See, that can be taken as a bash, but truth is, it really is impractical! A personal friend of mine picks up a 29g tall tank, and asked me to convert it to a reef for him w/ flourescent lighting. Fortunately he's my friend and I can just laugh at him in front of his face w/o his feelings being too bruised, but again, ppl see a good deal before proper husbandry.

Sometimes we don't mean to bite people's heads off, but as more experienced hobbyists, there are certain things that we are aware of that you should not do at all. If a person is about to treat their reef tank w/ copper, and we know that's not good at all, and despite our best efforts to be nice, if that person still wants to do it, then what becomes the "responsibility" on our part? Do we just let them go and destroy their tank? Or do we take a firmer stance? These instances do happen on many occassions, and although it is "their" tank, I feel as an experienced hobbyist, to help save some n00bs from the agonizing growing pains that I've gone through. But then my "give up" statement is "some ppl just gotta learn their lesson on their own", and then they get upset at me for saying that...
Rio1700 w/ SWCD return
2 Rio600 w/ HydorFl0 attachments.
Powered by Seachem;Verified by Salifert
Old 04/21/2006, 03:27 PM
Moved On

nicly said but jus tto be clear. what i posted about i ment things like "WTH ARE YOUR STUPID YOU NEVER DOTHAT" type flame :P

anyways. back to the tank ^^ check out my thread for the 130 im setting up and feel free to flame. a post is a post lmao
Old 04/21/2006, 03:31 PM
I'm the Dude.

Old 04/21/2006, 03:45 PM
XenMaster

Eyes are a bit hard to see..
Rio1700 w/ SWCD return
Powered by Seachem;Verified by Salifert
Old 04/25/2006, 11:27 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wfrost
I actually had a guy a couple of years ago when I was researching my first SW tank tell me I shouldnt get into this hobby if I couldnt afford to spend the thousands of dollars he thought was neccessary to buy all the best, most popular at the time gadgets.
And this was really good advice, meant to stop you from buying what you thought was 'good enough' only to discover later that it really wasn't.

Most people I know who counsel this way have a closet full of crap, all of it replaced with the stuff they should have gotten in the first place.

It isn't hostile to Newbies, but good advice.

Regards.
Mike Kirda
Old 04/25/2006, 11:56 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by gnrlee
i was never a noob
i was an ultra noob!

what about the fishers to what ever there called. people who try to start flaming on purpos
" iv had 6 tangs in my 5 gallon for a year no probloms" no real question just an obviusly stupid post ment to start flames
Old 04/25/2006, 12:00 PM
XenMaster

Quote:
Originally posted by goda
i was never a noob
i was an ultra noob!

what about the fishers to what ever there called. people who try to start flaming on purpos
" iv had 6 tangs in my 5 gallon for a year no probloms" no real question just an obviusly stupid post ment to start flames
Desperate souls with a desperate cry out for attention I'd say..
Rio1700 w/ SWCD return