Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Responsible Reefkeeping
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/04/2006, 12:37 AM
Moved On

reefcentral getting hostile?

I've noticed on several threads including my own of people getting hostile I mean like people saying stuff to the newbies that is cruel and people acting like the bigshots is it just me or has anyone else noticed this sorry if this is a bad thread RC mods feel free to delete this if it is bad
Old 03/04/2006, 07:00 PM
How YOU doin?

It happens some times. I've noticed some of that in the past but not for a few weeks.

Reefcentral Folding@Home team 37251 - Click my little red house to learn more and help medical science!
Old 03/04/2006, 09:59 PM
Fragaholic

I've noticed a lot of newbie posts in responsible reefkeeping that really belong in the new to the hobby forum. This can raise peoples dander. Also, certain forums (I believe you posted in the lounge recently) tend to be more argumentative than others.
Old 03/05/2006, 09:36 AM
Registered Member

Yes i agree. what happened to i've been in the hobby 15 years and i'm still learning!!
Old 03/05/2006, 09:49 AM
RC Staff
American

New to the hobby forum is Moderated with a heavier hand than most other forums. We don't want to scare noobs away, and for that reason, what appears to many as a "stupid" question gets attention there. People do not get away with treating noobs in a way that says "You should already know..." on my watch.
This forum is a bit quieter, and it does appear that some of the new to the hobby crowd are migrating in here. I actually see that as a good thing. Noobs with a desire to learn how to keep a reef with a degree of responsible thrown in.
I'll take a look, and see if there are threads that should be moved, but I see no problem in teaching people to reef responsibly right from the start.
As far as "I've been in the hobby 15 years and i'm still learning!!" Even the most knowledgeable "experts" in this hobby are not done learning about this hobby. I have no problem telling everyone here that I have a LOT to learn about marine animals and how to keep them healthy in my glass box.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved

at the same level of thinking we were at when we

created them." Albert Einstein

I'm pretty sure it's Mike's fault.....
Old 03/12/2006, 11:13 PM
Registered Member

It happens
Old 03/14/2006, 03:59 PM
Aquatic Philosopher

actually, I have noticed more hostility towards noobs on all the forums that participate in. (Sorry, I do participate in forums that are not reef related) Although RC isnt nearly as bad as some other forums (RC is actually extremely nice) I have seen a rise in the "you should know better" comment plus a decrease in answering noob's questions. Most of the tme when a noob asks a question about whats best for them, I see alot of people showing off their method rather than actually thinking about what is best for the person asking the question. Although I am "new" to the reef hobby, I do alot of academic research on marine life in my spare time (Im a student) but I still I get a lot of comments about my lack of experience... go figure. I think alot of people are just trying to one up each other and it is easy to do that to a noob. When beginning the hobby, noobs are going to do dumb stuff and might kill some wildlife by accident because they do not quite understand the limits of a tank/creature, but people shouldn't attck the noob and question their moral soul, but try and educate and empower the noob towards more realistic goals.

University of Mary Washington Alumnus
Clemson University
Old 03/14/2006, 09:21 PM
RC Sponsor

I'm new to reef central but not to reef keeping. And, I've got to tell you, the kind of impolite stuff that is said blows me away. We are hobbyists aren't we? We're trying to share information aren't we? Our goal is keeping these animals alive in what is an inherently problematic venture--reefkeeping. Just because you know a little and are essentially anonimous doesn't mean that you have any more power than you do in your normal life. OK. . .so you're a genious. My tank is still nicer than yours.
Old 03/15/2006, 12:48 AM
Registered Member

I have been on other salt forums, where the guys with more posting feel like their opinon is like they are Gods when they speak. Even if they are wrong their buddies jump in and stand up for them, and whole bunch of the regulars belittle the NOOB. I read the post and give my head a shake and never would ever post on those forums.
Or one forum the person with a million post acts like an Axx hxxx and shoots his mouth off and argues with everyone and thinks he is very constructive and his way of aquarium keeping is the only way and if anyone disagrees he takes a HISSY FIT!, anyone with more knowledge than him and gets into an arguement or disagreement, he gets them ban!
Remember there is always different ways to do things, as long it get you the results you want!
We are all hear to learn from each other and share the knowledge with each other so we all can enjoy this hobby!
When you start belittling noobs its time for you to move on and start your own forum or start a new hobby!
But notice every forum has their ignorant know it all member!
Remember everyone was a noob at one time, and was mistreated by a ignorant member at one time or another, but why repeat the cycle!!!!!!!!!
Old 03/15/2006, 05:35 AM
RC Staff
American

I think an awful lot of what you guys are describing is in perception. This board is probably the most moderated BB out there, at least the most moderated marine hobby board. We catch a lot of flack for that, but the membership numbers don't lie. We moderate with a heavy hand when it's necessary, and most members seem to appreciate that.
A tip for you, that really helps us is Please, use the "report this post to a moderator" link at the bottom of any post you find inappropriate We can't find them all, and certainly not as fast as the membership can find them. This goes for all forums, but the tolerance is lower in the newbie forum. We don't want people, especially noobs scared away from asking questions.

One more thing, post count is an indication of how active a person is on the board, it doesn't mean that person is always right. I have a pretty high post count, but I'll tell you if I am not sure of what I'm saying, and that happens on accasion. I've been in the hobby for 6 or 7 years, and still have a LOT to learn about it. I'll go as far as to say that EVERYONE in this hobby (including such noted authors as Sprung, Michaels, Calfo, etc.) still has a lot to learn.

Old 03/16/2006, 03:10 PM
Registered Member

Old 03/19/2006, 12:35 PM
LIGHTS ARE ON!!!!

I'm not sure why the Hulk is here...

But as far as responsible reefkeeping I think that is something that should start right from the beginning. I'm very selective of the fish & corals I buy, I see entirely too many people who say I have to get rid of this fish it's getting too big. Or it's picking on my other fish.

I have a 6-7" Sailfin tang that I bought from someone who was moving (over a year ago). I am upgrading my tank to 180g for more room, and recently removed 3 showpiece softies that took years to grow to allow more swimming room. Total system volume will increase from 240g to 400+g for stability
I also have a 3-4" Hippo, again a trade with another reefer
If a fish "may" eat my zoa's, pick at my clam, eat my cleaner shrimp, then I don't buy it

When I do venture into the newbie forum I try to get as much info from the person as I can.
Tank size, sump, skimmer, lights, water changes, other equipment
It all plays a part in how you answer a person question (usually)
I saw a few posts a while ago where someone was instructing someone - not really harshly - but without full information
I posted & asked additional questions to clarify
Other people then responded with much better information & answers. Sometimes all it takes is to put yourself in the other person shoes & remember when you were 1st starting out

Pay no attention to my post count, I used to work a Help Desk & surfed here all day - mostly in our club forum - a lot of gossip.

With over 4 years in this hobby I'm still very much learning
After 2 years of running my skimmer I just learned of a much better setup of the skimmer from another reefer in the club

A lot of people take this hobby very personally & become very agitated & argumentative. When you are passioniate about something - it happens. Conflicting points of opinion will cause heated discussions, such is human nature

I do not think RC is getting hostile, I just think the world has been hostile for a long time, and that is now flooding over into all aspects of our lives

The hectic life style a lot of us lead these days makes for a very stressful life

I became a Reefer to enjoy the hobby, not argue. And that is what I aim for each day. If something on here upsets me, I can easily go to a different thread, or shut my PC off
I'm getting older, and life is too short to argue
Old 03/19/2006, 03:43 PM
Registered Member

I actually had a guy a couple of years ago when I was researching my first SW tank tell me I shouldnt get into this hobby if I couldnt afford to spend the thousands of dollars he thought was neccessary to buy all the best, most popular at the time gadgets.
Old 03/19/2006, 06:10 PM
RC Staff
American

There is a lot to be said for going into this with some disposable income at the ready. It's not a cheap hobby, and there are lives at stake if you do it wrong. Spending money does not guarantee success, but having money to spend on equipment sure makes it easier.
Spending less means working more, but even the very best of the best equipment won't take the place of hands on maintenance. This hobby is actually quite a drain on time, energy and money. You can change the order of those three, but none can replace the others.

Old 03/20/2006, 01:02 AM
Registered Member

I agree, I have seen people tryingto help and give there thought on the matter and people will just go off because of the advice. I have been in this hobby for over 10 years now, and I will try and give the best advice I can. I may bewrong sometimes but there is no reason for the hostility thatis given some times.
Old 03/26/2006, 05:20 PM
Registered Member

I have noticed a certain amount of elitism here, but that's to be expected in a forum covering a hobby as personal and involved as marine aquaria can get.

Overall - not bad.
Old 03/26/2006, 10:59 PM
Registered Member

I sure hope things don't turn bad here.I left saltwaterfish.com forums for that reason.
Old 03/26/2006, 11:14 PM
Registered Member

just remember---this is a hobby in which everybody does things differently. and they're all right. just ask them!

as for newbies, i try help when i can but....

i've had a few bad experiences here and there but mostly i instigate others. since i'm a natural arse whole! just don't take it personally and you'll be fine. if you don't relax you'll end up shooting someone for walking on your lawn!

Old 03/27/2006, 08:22 AM
ETRC Webjourneyman

When you flush the sump without changing the water, the detritus settles everywhere...
Old 03/27/2006, 08:39 AM
I'm the Dude.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=797148
Old 03/29/2006, 03:23 AM
Premium Member

Always remember and never forget that we were all noobs at one time, helping others to succeed can be very rewarding....
Old 03/29/2006, 03:53 AM
Registered Member

None of you in this thread have any idea what you are talking about.

;-)

RC is, and has been a very friendly experience for me...so far...
Old 03/29/2006, 02:03 PM
Registered Member

Ive been on alot of hobby forums. Cars mainly, other fish sites, games even lol. This site is by far the nicest ive seen. If you really wan to see flaming on noobs.... go to Your post is in violation of the terms and conditions of use of this web site and has been edited. Further violations will result in revocation of your posting privileges. That place i left after 1 day. Horrible things happen to new guys lol.

Last edited by DgenR8; 04/01/2006 at 07:07 AM.
Old 03/29/2006, 05:55 PM
Registered Member

I have had both good and bad experiences here. Because I got into this hobby not knowing anyone else in it, it helps to have others to ask about things. I have gotten some really helpful advice, which is great because I want to do everything I can to have healthy, happy fish. On the other hand, I've read some replies to other posts that were flat out mean to someone who obviously cared enough to ask for help.
Any time you have a large group of people with a common interest, you're gonna have some, "my frag is bigger than your frag". I realize that, but if these people would just keep their "frags" in their "tanks" and remember, "If we didn't care enough to be here learning and asking questions, we wouldn't be here". (okay, bad analogy, but it's the best I could do. )

To end on a good note, I really do love learning all I can and I learn a LOT from the forums here. Thanks!
Old 03/29/2006, 11:29 PM
Premium Member

I am a certified, sub-100-post-newbie, quite thrilled with my 24g nano with a 'halide' light. I just learned how to attach coral, bought my first anenome the other day and the whole family thrilled to watch it tackle a piece of shrimp. I want to say just how wonderful this site and these forums have been. I have been so amazed at how helpful people have been. It's really way beyond the help offered in any other hobby/sporting activity I have been involved with.

Of course, People will be people; that's understood. I do try to read here and post in the Newbie forum, but I just want to say thanks for all the help.

There are certain advantages in being new. In the future I will have to spend many dollars on a fish to get the same thrill I now get our yellow tailed blue $4 damsel. Consider the fact that we are taking time picking out just the right shrimp! Such fun.

Next year at this time we will have a 700g reef tank in our new facility. I only hope I enjoy it as much as my nano.

Andy