Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Responsible Reefkeeping

Old 11/08/2005, 02:45 PM
Moved On

Piso--

I'm not sure what you mean when you say when that the body can process 80grams of protien of protien "at once." Can you explain that?

But I think your point is that if people eat only enough meat to satisfy their body's protien demands... then the energy expendature for production of needed meat vs. needed produce comes out the same. I haven't done the math on that but it's not a fair comparison anyway. THe body need more than protien... and meat only gives protein and fat. Soy gives you protien, fat, and carbs. So you can't just do a protien lb for lb comparison. But in any case, here's the problem..

Most all people in developed countries eat way more meat than they would ever need. The body only needs about 50-80 grams of protien a day (depending on your size). Now even if meat were the only source of protien available, the average person would still only need a few oz of meat a day. But the average American probably eats like 5x as much meat as anyone would need (even if it was their only source of protien... which it never is!).

And also... it doesn't matter if the grass the cattle eat is not fertilized. The cows poop! What do you think that is? Plants don't poop... even better, they produce oxygen.
Old 11/08/2005, 02:58 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by pisomojado

I don't care if people eat meat or don't, but don't try to make yourselves sound superior to anyone else.
And will someone PLEASE tell me where I claim superiority on the grounds of my vegetarianism? ... like, really, actually said this or even implied it? I have searched my posts here up and down and can't find one statement that could be reasonably thought to imply this... even by the most creative interpretation.
Old 11/08/2005, 03:09 PM
Moved On

It's all just as simply as the energy pyramide they showed us all in grade school biology. Plants are only X% efficient at converted sunlight into usable energy, herbivores are then only Y% efficient at converting vegetation to energy, and predators are only Z% efficient at converting flesh to energy. The farther you go up the pyramid, the more energy is lost to inefficiency.
Old 11/08/2005, 05:55 PM
Registered Member

Being higher on the pyramid gives us permission to waste more energy. Its the way its supposta be. I dont see anybody trying to change Lions and other preditors diets. Meat is good, vegetables are good. There, problem solved.
Old 11/08/2005, 06:21 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sihaya
And will someone PLEASE tell me where I claim superiority on the grounds of my vegetarianism? ... like, really, actually said this or even implied it? I have searched my posts here up and down and can't find one statement that could be reasonably thought to imply this... even by the most creative interpretation.
Not directed at anyone, just a general statement.
Old 11/08/2005, 06:29 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sihaya
It's all just as simply as the energy pyramide they showed us all in grade school biology. Plants are only X% efficient at converted sunlight into usable energy, herbivores are then only Y% efficient at converting vegetation to energy, and predators are only Z% efficient at converting flesh to energy. The farther you go up the pyramid, the more energy is lost to inefficiency.
I can see that, except there is no shortage of solar engery. The problem created is a man made one of using fertilizer irresponsibly, and mass producing say beef or corn or whatnot. If we somehow all converted overnight to eating exclusivly corn, the meat producers now turn to corn growing, and fertilize the heck out of their crops to get more return.

Basically human greed is going to screw up whatever method you choose.
Old 11/08/2005, 06:32 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by revrenhex
Being higher on the pyramid gives us permission to waste more energy. Its the way its supposta be. I dont see anybody trying to change Lions and other preditors diets. Meat is good, vegetables are good. There, problem solved.
THere is no comparison between natural predators who struggle just to get the bare minimum to survive, and humans who consume so excessively it's to their own detriment.
Old 11/08/2005, 06:34 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by pisomojado

Basically human greed is going to screw up whatever method you choose.
Right, but still... there's always a matter of degree. It's about damage control at this point...