Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/24/2007, 05:38 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jcpatella
I was enjoying this thread until it turned political.
Yes, I do appologize for soiling the thread and getting off topic. Good luck with the fish, I trust you will make the right decision and take everyone's opinion in to account.

The Red House = My Tank Thread

Livestock: A. Ocellaris Mated Pair, Six Line Wrasse, Lemonpeel Angel, Fiji Golden Sailfin Blenny, Purple Firefish Mated Pair.
Old 12/24/2007, 06:30 PM
Registered Member

i will take everybodys opinion and just to let you all now thank you for your time also i will be starting a thread after the holidays sometime i will post in here and on the reef discussion
Old 12/24/2007, 07:30 PM
Registered Member

the steroid quote was an obvious joke,especially with whats going on with baseball sorry you didnt get it....also you cant stun a tangs growth...tangs grow regardless of tank size....most every fish from the ocean swims miles,so please stop the bs...its all opinions,and some think because theres some bs written rule on tangs,that any opinion against that bs rule is wrong...a small tang is small and can be hapilly kept in a 90 for a couple years...no ifs ans or butts...its FACT,and plain common sense...the problem with this hobby is that people take it way too seriously and by the book...again,you could put any small tang in a 90[any one] and that fish well be happy for a couple years,i promise.,not to toot my own horn here,but im wiser than most people on here,because i dont buy what i read,i buy what my own experiences tell me......its a great hobby when you have fun,keep up your end of the bargain[water changes,good mix of feeding etc.] and learn as you go....ive learned so much from the open minded hobbyists on here,and my own experiences,but at the same time ive wasted so much time listening to the so called fish politics...HAVE FUN!!!!!1
Old 12/24/2007, 07:51 PM
Registered Member

You would be supprised how open minded I really am. I am all for pushing the hobby in new and innovative ways. However my experiences with tangs has been they do need a large tank.

I would love to hear your success stories and methods of keeping tangs long term in smaller tanks. Maybe a new thread is in order? I am sure that has been discussed before though.

Livestock: A. Ocellaris Mated Pair, Six Line Wrasse, Lemonpeel Angel, Fiji Golden Sailfin Blenny, Purple Firefish Mated Pair.
Old 12/24/2007, 07:59 PM
Registered Member

Everyone is tied up in the size argument. While I think a Zebrasoma dersjardini(sailfin tang) which grows to 15 inches is to big by itself for a 90 gallon tank,there has been little commentary on the rlative aggressivieness of the various tangs being considered.
The purple is also a Zebrasoma(xanthurum).the sailfin and purple are both aggressive particularly to other Zebrasoma. Put them both in a small tank,well you can figure it out.
The powder blue (Acanthurus leucosternon) is hard to keep and aggressive.
The Acanthurus pyroferus ( Chocolate tang /mimic tang) is moderately aggressive.
The bristletooths(Ctenochaetus stirgis, Ctenochaetus hawiiensis, and Ctentochaetus Tomini)Kole,Chevron and Tomini might be the best bets.
The Paracanthurus hepatus(Regal, Hippo,Pacific Blue) grows to 12 inches but will likely get along with the sailfin.

Having said that I don't think calling anyone who comments on size issues the Tang Police serves the discussion well. If someone asks about the suitablility of a fish in a certain size aquarium and someone has an opinion about the size they should feel free to express it without rancor particularly when that opinion coincides with experts in the field like Scott Michaels and others.If there is a concern about size it should be communicated in a non judgemental fashion and received in a non defensive way. The decision is up to the individual aquarist.
Old 12/24/2007, 08:01 PM
Registered Member

^^^

Well said.

Old 12/24/2007, 08:02 PM
Premium Member

jazzmanb, you are too funny! Comments like that, well telling everyone you are wiser then most, is funny!

In my opionin, you can stunt a tangs growth with a small tank, I have seen it MANY of times. So, I really feel you are wrong on this issue.. sorry. my 2 cents!!
Old 12/24/2007, 08:23 PM
Registered Member

Wiser than most and who is bs ing who?
Old 12/24/2007, 08:31 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tmz
Wiser than most and who is bs ing who?
The proclaimed expert w/ published articles on this exact subject, thats who! The who of whoville- Scott Michaels ...

Last edited by bstone; 12/24/2007 at 09:00 PM.
Old 12/24/2007, 08:40 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by bstone
jazzmanb, you are too funny! Comments like that, well telling everyone you are wiser then most, is funny!

In my opionin, you can stunt a tangs growth with a small tank, I have seen it MANY of times. So, I really feel you are wrong on this issue.. sorry. my 2 cents!!
Enough of all this bs, I think you should act a little more mature than that. Im sorry but this is getting out of hand, your comments aernt helping anyone but your own ego. I was enjoying this thread all up until you had to bump in and make things political
Old 12/24/2007, 08:57 PM
Premium Member

It is easy to see what side you are on. Going after me when I thought his "wiser" comment was funny? How about the others that commneted on his statement too? Are you singling me out? Sure seems like it.. TMZ made a comment also..
Old 12/24/2007, 09:18 PM
Registered Member

ok guys lets get back to the ponit of the thread
ok new list
Purple(leaning to possiblying going because i think i have to small of a tank for the sailfin and him and they might fight but iam not sure)
PBT and Chocolate are still in the mind
Old 12/24/2007, 09:23 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Reeftanks6
ok guys lets get back to the ponit of the thread
ok new list
Purple(leaning to possiblying going because i think i have to small of a tank for the sailfin and him and they might fight but iam not sure)
PBT and Chocolate are still in the mind
I like the purple idea. The one I have is very colorful, and is not as active as the PBT. I can not speak about the chocolate from personal experience. My PBT runs up and down the tank all day. Another good one to look at would be a Spotted Cheek Tang (Acanthurus maculiceps). Hard to find, but small and not as active.
Old 12/24/2007, 09:34 PM
Registered Member

Iam still not sure i no the PBT is very active but my personal opinion the Purple has a very nice color and so does the PBT
the chocolate is a little more laid back then these two and i think they are very colorful also
Old 12/24/2007, 09:34 PM
Premium Member

Here is a picture of it from RC TOTM

Old 12/24/2007, 09:36 PM
Registered Member

yea i always loved these tangs but so hard to find and so much money i would only get this tang in a big tank so it has a better survial chance
Old 12/25/2007, 03:53 PM
Registered Member

well iam still thinking about the fish and MERRY CHRISTMAS to all
Old 12/25/2007, 04:06 PM
Premium Member

Spotted Cheek Tang (Acanthurus maculiceps) looks awsome. Never seen this one before in a tank or lfs.
Old 12/25/2007, 04:08 PM
Registered Member

lol yea they are so hard to find and they are so much money and iam sure as one gets in the LFS its gone
Old 12/25/2007, 04:24 PM
Registered Member

man that spotted cheek tang is georgeous...again, i never spoke about tangs being kept forever in a 90,obviously that wouldnt work...im talkin a couple years...for the reefers on a budget,changing your fish out every few years is an awesome way to keep the tank feeling new,and giving the fish a new home when they outgrow a tank...i dont think aquariasts that have 600+ gallon tanks should give someone who wants a tang in a 90 advice...this is the problem with the hobby,and again who cares what some guy who studies tangs says.michael who? who cares...means nothing....im talkin from my own experiences,which is far more valuable than someguy who obviously has a huge tank to begin with tells me....im after all talkin about keepin small tangs in a 90...for now on people that have similar tank setups should give advice on the subject matter... its obvious[too obvious] what large reef tank owners well say...]
Old 12/25/2007, 04:41 PM
Registered Member

ok well i am still thinking about the tangs i have been doing so much research and taking your info i cant make a decision yet the list is still
PBT
chocolate
purple
Old 12/25/2007, 05:18 PM
Moved On

Pick one already. Go for the purple!!
Old 12/25/2007, 05:51 PM
Moved On

bstone it seems that this thread was doing fine until you had to put in your "2 cents".
Old 12/25/2007, 05:52 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by bstone
It is easy to see what side you are on. Going after me when I thought his "wiser" comment was funny? How about the others that commneted on his statement too? Are you singling me out? Sure seems like it.. TMZ made a comment also..
Why are you singling TMZ out?
Old 12/25/2007, 06:10 PM
Registered Member

lol