Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/23/2007, 04:18 PM
180 gallon money pit

no tang in a no would be the best choice
Old 12/23/2007, 04:26 PM
Premium Member

It just amazes me that people ask what tangs and how many tangs they can keep in there aqurium. If you do the research you wouldn't have to ask these questions that have been asked hundreds of times in this forum. In my personal experience, all tangs need lots of room to swim. I can tell you that a Powder blue, achilles, sohal and clown tangs are the most active. They are constantly swimming in "hyper" mode!

So, you want 6 tangs in a 90? sailfin, PBT, Powder brown, chocolate, Purple, Chevron......

No comment..........
Old 12/23/2007, 05:06 PM
Registered Member

I would recommend a Tomini, and only that, as they are small. I have one in my 90 gallon, and I'd feel bad putting anything else in there.
There color is actually kinda neat:
0.0.1 Bearded Dragon

The Reptile File
Old 12/23/2007, 05:16 PM
Registered Member

i dont want them all iam saying pick one
Old 12/23/2007, 05:17 PM
Registered Member

ok i have made my decision either a
chocolate
tomini
purple
Old 12/23/2007, 05:22 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by bstone
It just amazes me that people ask what tangs and how many tangs they can keep in there aqurium. If you do the research you wouldn't have to ask these questions that have been asked hundreds of times in this forum. In my personal experience, all tangs need lots of room to swim. I can tell you that a Powder blue, achilles, sohal and clown tangs are the most active. They are constantly swimming in "hyper" mode!

So, you want 6 tangs in a 90? sailfin, PBT, Powder brown, chocolate, Purple, Chevron......

No comment..........
who said he is going to put all those tangs in his 90? He is making a list so he can decide on ONE of them to put in. If you read the WHOLE thread you would know what is going on.
Old 12/23/2007, 05:25 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Reeftanks6
ok i have made my decision either a
chocolate
tomini
purple
I vote purple!
Old 12/23/2007, 05:39 PM
Premium Member

Of those three, I vote purple too.
Old 12/23/2007, 05:45 PM
Registered Member

ok i reall like all of these fish especially the purple and the chocolate so i need to decide on both i really love watching fish grow and change colors like the chocolate so i dont know what iam going to do and they are both good algea eaters
Old 12/23/2007, 05:51 PM
Moved On

Do the purple!! You'll have no regrets
Old 12/23/2007, 05:55 PM
Registered Member

Definitely go for the purple dude. Your only choices would really be purple, yellow, tomini, kole. There really is not much of a choice since the rest of the tangs need a 6' or larger tank. If you put it in anything smaller they will quickly out grow it and will cause problems. Best go with on of these I personally would choose purple because that is what I will be going with in mine when the time comes . Not even a blue tang would work since they get to large. I hope you make the right choice
Old 12/23/2007, 05:58 PM
Ruger dog

It will only be for a few months, we are in the planning stages for a 200-300g reef but, I have a sailfin and a scopas in my 90, they seem perfectly happy.
The sailfin used to be in my Wife's 90 before we broke it down. If it wasn't for the eminent large tank in their future I would only have one or the other in a 90 (I would vote the scopas, the sailfin is very common here)
Old 12/23/2007, 06:00 PM
Registered Member

ok i still dont have a decision
Old 12/23/2007, 08:53 PM
Registered Member

go for the powder blue if thats what you want,just know that in time[2-3 years] it well out grow your tank...regardless of what people say,its perfectly FINE to keep 2-3 small tangs in a 90..i currently have a 90 with 3 tangs pbt,tomani,blue hippo,i also have a pair of percs,2 wrasses,2 firefish,file fish[reef safe so far],flame angel,cherub df. angel,mandarin goby,diamond goby,engineer goby,royal gramma,3 cleaner shrimps....most people would say im overstocked,but i say BS...first off my fish are small,my fish are happy,active,and are fed three times a day,i also have many corals including,lps,softies and a few sps..my tank is amazingly beautiful,and i keep all my parameters in check...there are no rules to keeping multiple tangs in a 90 reef...in fact as long as the tangs are happy,thats all that matters...the tang police are the equivelant to a kid who has a cap gun,and just happened to get a sherrifs badge for christmas..please do what you think is best,and dont worry about what other people think about tank size...my tangs are happier in my 90,than some people who have tangs in 300 gallons,because i love and take care of my fish....
Old 12/23/2007, 09:22 PM
Registered Member

ok iam not sure if i want to go with three tangs so i still have to decide
PBT
Purple
Chocolate
jassmanb tell me a little bit about your powder blue tang
Old 12/23/2007, 09:59 PM
Registered Member

Holy crap this thread keeps getting worse and worse. Please do NOT take the BAD advice jazzmanb has given.

Do you TALK to your tangs? Just because they are eating and show no signs of stress does NOT mean they are living a healthy life.

Bottom line is they NEED more swimming room to be healthy, there is no way around it...sorry.

The Red House = My Tank Thread

Livestock: A. Ocellaris Mated Pair, Six Line Wrasse, Lemonpeel Angel, Fiji Golden Sailfin Blenny, Purple Firefish Mated Pair.
Old 12/23/2007, 10:43 PM
King of the Apes

I have had a purple in my 90g for a couple of years now. He is and will be the only tang in this tank. As is, he is beginning to get to the point where, due to his size and personality, I'd like to upgrade to a larger tank.

He is constantly grazing and is ridiculously fat, but still requires a lot of swimming room. I think my intense flow helps -- having to swim against it effectively increases the distance hes swimming in, like a treadmill.

For a 90g, I would suggest in only keeping ONE tang, and making sure that it is a tang that spends a lot of time grazing.
Old 12/23/2007, 11:30 PM
Registered Member

my advice is perfectly fine,especially if you understand that small tangs,are just that SMALL...i myself like to change my fish selection every year or two..if one fish grows too big,gets aggresive or i personally dont like it,i trade them to freinds who have bigger tanks..there is nothing wrong with this method,and quite honestly is HEALTHY for the fish...this whole tang police thing is quite annoying,and MOST hobbyists i know that have tanks under 100 gallons,usually keep their fish until they get bigger,than they well trade them to a bigger home,i do this all the time,and i trade for corals....i dont care what any of you say...this method is FINE,and is not at all bad for tangs...2 small tangs in a 90 is ok for a couple years...if you like to buy medium to large tangs, one should be the limit...
Old 12/23/2007, 11:55 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by jazzmanb
my advice is perfectly fine,especially if you understand that small tangs,are just that SMALL...i myself like to change my fish selection every year or two..if one fish grows too big,gets aggresive or i personally dont like it,i trade them to freinds who have bigger tanks..there is nothing wrong with this method,and quite honestly is HEALTHY for the fish...this whole tang police thing is quite annoying,and MOST hobbyists i know that have tanks under 100 gallons,usually keep their fish until they get bigger,than they well trade them to a bigger home,i do this all the time,and i trade for corals....i dont care what any of you say...this method is FINE,and is not at all bad for tangs...2 small tangs in a 90 is ok for a couple years...if you like to buy medium to large tangs, one should be the limit...
You still shouldn't put more than 2 tangs in a 90 at the MOST. And I am only including small ones like the Purple and kole.
Old 12/24/2007, 12:15 AM
Master of Funk

not trying to side with any one, but I think this is all kinda nonsense... at least in MY head.

I have heard that tangs in nature can cover a square mile foraging for food, so they shouldn't be kept in a small tank. Do they cover that much area because they want too...or because they have too??

I have yet to see any one with a one mile square tank, therefore, aren't all our tanks "small"? We are certainly well below what nature intended. I think at that point, the only thing you can do is provide good water quality a good diet.

Obviously, this is with in reason. I am not saying we are going against nature already, so who cares if the fish is in a tank so small it cant turn around? I still think we need to use some discretion regarding the lifeforms under our care.
Old 12/24/2007, 12:17 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by yellowwatchmen
who said he is going to put all those tangs in his 90? He is making a list so he can decide on ONE of them to put in. If you read the WHOLE thread you would know what is going on.
What are you talking about, when did he ever say ONE fish to add. It was "my fish list" that was discussed. DO NOT accuse me of not reading the whole thread!!!! Regardless, 90 gallons and discussing which tangs (plural) is asking for a objection in this forum!!

QUOTE: Reeftanks6 "ok iam not sure if i want to go with three tangs so i still have to decide"

His whole "I am just picking on: was made AFTER all the negative posts!"

I am done with this thread yellowwatchman; you need to read this WHOLE thread!!

Last edited by bstone; 12/24/2007 at 12:22 AM.
Old 12/24/2007, 12:28 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by poppin_fresh
not trying to side with any one, but I think this is all kinda nonsense... at least in MY head.

I have heard that tangs in nature can cover a square mile foraging for food, so they shouldn't be kept in a small tank. Do they cover that much area because they want too...or because they have too??

I have yet to see any one with a one mile square tank, therefore, aren't all our tanks "small"? We are certainly well below what nature intended. I think at that point, the only thing you can do is provide good water quality a good diet.

Obviously, this is with in reason. I am not saying we are going against nature already, so who cares if the fish is in a tank so small it cant turn around? I still think we need to use some discretion regarding the lifeforms under our care.
You kinda are siding here. According to your views, I can have 18 tangs in a 120 gallon tank as long as I have good water quality and a good diet.
Old 12/24/2007, 12:39 AM
Master of Funk

Maybe you could get away with 18 tangs in a 120. Are they all the size of my baby hippo (1.5 inches)? Like I said...its all with in reason and the discretion of the person keeping them.

Please understand that I dont have the answers, only more questions.
Old 12/24/2007, 01:11 AM
Registered Member

poppin fresh,great post man,and thats exactly my point..its more about size and the fishs traits and personality than anything else...i mean pizza isnt the best thing for youy, but if you take away some of the cheese and add a lot of veggies it could be great healthy eating....a small tang is no different,ITS SMALL,and thats the point...the whole tang/tank size thing is crap...for now on it should be size of tang/s,how long do you want to keep the tang/s? and lastly, how big is your tank...a bunch of tiny blue hippo tangs are no different than a bunch of small anthias...
Old 12/24/2007, 02:26 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by bstone
What are you talking about, when did he ever say ONE fish to add. It was "my fish list" that was discussed. DO NOT accuse me of not reading the whole thread!!!! Regardless, 90 gallons and discussing which tangs (plural) is asking for a objection in this forum!!

QUOTE: Reeftanks6 "ok iam not sure if i want to go with three tangs so i still have to decide"

His whole "I am just picking on: was made AFTER all the negative posts!"

I am done with this thread yellowwatchman; you need to read this WHOLE thread!!
He also said this. "i dont want them all iam saying pick one" I know it was after your post but it was kinda implied through out the whole thread. He just had to clarify for YOU since most people knew what he was talking about.