Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/26/2005, 09:18 AM
Registered Member

Little Giant Pump Maintenence Question

My main pump stopped working last night and i need to know if i should try to fix it or buy a new one and have a couple questions.

I have a 6 year old Little Giant Pump #581507 (MDQX-SC) and don't have the manual to it. Where/how do I oil it and/or maintain it. Can i take it apart to clean it?

Have any links to other threads?

Thank you in-advance.
Old 10/26/2005, 10:04 AM
Moved On

I have had great luck with little giants and this is what I do to maintain them. Take the wingnuts off and remove the impeller and front casing. Dip both in a 50/50 mixture of muriatic acid and water. If you do not have muriatic acid you can use vinegar but vinegar sucks. Now you need to prop the pump up and get some muriatic acid or vinegar in the pump where the impeller sits. Since you have never maintained your pump before I am willing to bet you have an immense amount of calcium buildup. Next thing you need to do is get a can of compressed air and blow out the backside where the cooling fan is. Make sure you do this well and you can actually bang some of the dust out once you have loosened it up. Little Giant recommends oiling your pump every 6 months but I oil my pump more often then that. And I use 3 in 1 or 5 in 1 oil whatever it is called. Make sure when you install the front housing that you seat the O-ring properly. Now if your pump is not fried is should run better then it has in years. Post an update after you have done this.

Good Luck
Old 10/26/2005, 10:16 AM
Registered Member

That is a perfect answer. I understand all of it and will post the outcome when I'm done.

Question: Where do I oil the pump? All over the inside or is there an 'oil hole' etc...

Thanks a lot!
Old 10/26/2005, 11:03 AM
Moved On

There should be 1 or 2 oil holes on the top of the pump. They will be plastic and could be colored yellow or black. They are basically plastic pushed in grometts. I am unfmailiar with your pump due to its age but I figure it would be the same as the newer pumps.

Good Luck
Old 10/26/2005, 11:38 AM
Member ACROS Reef Club

Also the little plastic grommets pbarrett noted are plugs. Make sure you pull these out then oil the pump. This allows you to oil the bearings for the motor...Just a note I have had great success with the Little Giant pumps. I have had one running for 10 years now, I oil it every few months, but I have never done any further maintenance. Probally shold pull the impellar housing on one and look inside to see what they look like. Also blowing the dust out of the fan sounds like a good idea...
Old 10/26/2005, 11:42 AM
Moved On

Yeah why did I not call them plugs? Heck I can not even spell grommet?
Old 10/26/2005, 11:52 AM
Registered Member

Sounds good! I think I have one little hole on the top...will check it out when i get home this evening.

Thanks Mucho Guys!