Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/06/2007, 07:41 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by discocarp
It looks great! I'm salivating for my tank now after looking at your pictures!
Thanks! You know, the tank is much larger in person than it appears in my photos. I am sure a new digital camera with SLR will do the trick! Maybe my sweetie will get consider this gift for me as a Christmas present!
With my current digital camera, the photos make the tank look skinny and smaller. I finally got a larger tank and I am such a scardy cat in filling it up.

Last edited by NUBIANTANGLOVER; 09/06/2007 at 07:55 PM.
Old 09/06/2007, 07:46 PM
Registered Member

I will be following this build thread, I dream of the day I can do a system that large. I had a question about the sand you are using. I have seen this for sale at HD for under $3 for 50 lbs. I was wondering if it is made of anything that benefits the reef. like I know that aroganite dissolves in a way to replenish minerals in a tank. does this sand to anything like that. if money was no object would you go with a different kind of sand? or is this stuff for sale at HD just as good as anything else?
Old 09/06/2007, 07:49 PM
Registered Member

I am in the process of cleaning my ASM skimmer. I rinsed out a bucket and placed pure distilled white vinegar inside. I am adding my skimmer to it & let it soak overnight. The vinegar really works wonders in getting aquarium supplies and equipment clean.

I also purchased my salt for the tank. I am going with Instant Ocean. I purchased a 160g bucket from my LFS, who happens to have it own sale cheaper than what it would cost for me to purchase and have it shipped to me! Instant Ocean has never failed me! I plan on adding the salt after completely installing the skimmer and running the entire system w/ overflows as an added precaution for leaks.

I'm also working on getting all my materials for my liverock structure creations. I plan on using pvc and zip ties to help secure the rock structures in place. Any suggestions of affordable and good liverock is welcomed!
Old 09/06/2007, 08:03 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FUA
I will be following this build thread, I dream of the day I can do a system that large. I had a question about the sand you are using. I have seen this for sale at HD for under $3 for 50 lbs. I was wondering if it is made of anything that benefits the reef. like I know that aroganite dissolves in a way to replenish minerals in a tank. does this sand to anything like that. if money was no object would you go with a different kind of sand? or is this stuff for sale at HD just as good as anything else?
I learned of Southdown sand sold at Home Depot about 4 years ago when I was building my 175g Bowfront. There were rave reviews about this here on RC. It does a very nice job buffering the tank...as it is actually Carribean sand! It does not contain any silica at all, so this is a plus! I learned that Home Depot will ship it here in NC with large orders. So, I made a huge order and told everyone here on RC about it. I believe it was somewhere between 50-100 bags! We all just went to Home Depot and purchased the bags once they came in on the truck that night & the next few days. It saved us a bundle.
I had enough bags left over that I used the extra bags for my 265g I am doing today! Now, if money was no object, I would probably go with the aragonite sand. But, this is basically the same thing. It is more fine in particle size, however. But it looks so good and white in the tank. You could mix a bag or two with this if you like too. But, at $3 to $4 for a 50pound bag, you can not beat the results! I say if you have it there, get it! There are RC members that will kill to get their hands on some. I used about 200 - 250 pounds in this new tank. That equals to about $15 - $20 total for a 265g tank!
Old 09/06/2007, 08:13 PM
Premium Member

NUBIANTANGLOVER,

Great thread!

I'm looking to get the same tank. How many guys will I need to move it into the house?

Where in NC are you located if you don't mind me asking?

TIA
Old 09/06/2007, 08:47 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gary faulkner
NUBIANTANGLOVER,

Great thread!

I'm looking to get the same tank. How many guys will I need to move it into the house?

Where in NC are you located if you don't mind me asking?

TIA
Thanks Gary. I am located in the beautiful city of Charlotte! You will need roughly 4 guys to install the tank. The tank will need to be lifted and slid into the stand, which happens to have an open insert design for the stand. It works very well and is easy to install. But, make sure you have 4 guys. The tank weighs around 500 - 600lbs empty. This is what my husband saids. He is a nice size dude.
Old 09/06/2007, 08:49 PM
Registered Member

very nice tank, love the size of it as you described. im planning on doing a 180 tank with 55-100 gal sump in the somewhat near future lol
Old 09/06/2007, 09:02 PM
Registered Member

aceheart1976:
Trust me, the 180g will be just as cool. I had a 175g Bowfront that was just bold and beautiful. It was 6 feet in lenght, this tank is 7 feet in lenght. I am constantly asking my husband, "Does the tank look smaller to you." Of course he reassures me that it doesn't. I guess if I had a 2,000g tank, I would think it looked small after a few days too. Man, we humans are never satisfied. LOL
Old 09/06/2007, 09:12 PM
Premium Member

NUBIANTANGLOVER

I really like Charlotte. It is a great town IMO.

Thanks for the reply. I thought that I would have to have many more than four guys, so that is good news to me.

"The tank will need to be lifted and slid into the stand, which
happen to have an oen insert for the stand. It works very well and is easy."

Could you please explain?

TIA
Old 09/07/2007, 06:01 AM
stop the insults, please

Quote:
"The tank will need to be lifted and slid into the stand, which
happen to have an oen insert for the stand. It works very well and is easy."

Could you please explain?
Ya, I don't understand this either!

Also, FYI, I called perfecto and they said you should put 1/2" styrofoam between the stand and tank. I'm getting the tank delivered so I hope they bear with me while I size and cut the foam!
Old 09/07/2007, 07:26 AM
stop the insults, please

NTL, one other question, do you think a 75g tank (48x18x20) would fit under that stand? Could I get it in from the back?
Old 09/07/2007, 09:26 PM
Registered Member

nubian, you got that right, got a question for you, is that southdown sand you have recently purchased? and is it the reefsafe type?
Old 09/08/2007, 06:43 AM
Registered Member

yeah they have a whole pallet sittng at home depot. I will definately pick some up and put it in my fuge. I am setting up a 29g as well and will probably be trying it out there as well. thankls for the info.
Old 09/08/2007, 07:03 AM
Registered Member

So southdown sand is silica free. Is there a way to test just to be sure.
Old 09/08/2007, 07:43 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Ya, I don't understand this either!

Also, FYI, I called perfecto and they said you should put 1/2" styrofoam between the stand and tank. I'm getting the tank delivered so I hope they bear with me while I size and cut the foam!
Sure, I will explain,

If you look at the tank's stand it has a nice edging (molding) around the top of it. This is actually around 3 sides: the front and the left and right sides. However, the back does not have this molding. The molding actualy creates a simple tongue and groove
for the tank. Simply, the tank is placed on top of the stand, but the edges of the tank slides into the tongue/groove created by the molding on all 3 sides. It is slid from the back up towards the front.

Here's a photo of the tank & stand:

As you can see from this side photo, there is molding around the sides and not the back. The way the molding is constructed, it also creates a simple tongue and groove in the inside where the tank meets the stand, enough to secure/support the bottom brace of the tank.

I didn't use styrofoam between the stand and the tank. I am sure it can only help.
Old 09/08/2007, 07:49 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
NTL, one other question, do you think a 75g tank (48x18x20) would fit under that stand? Could I get it in from the back?
You should not have a problem, as the stand is 87" long. But, you will have to remove the middle brace in the back of the stand. It is stapled and glued securely. I had my husband to use a saw to saw remove it. This is the only way you can fit the 75g tank underneath the stand. My sump, I believe, is 36" and I had to do this. The doors only allow a clearance of about 30".
Make sure you do this prior to placing the stand on the tank, so you will not disturb the tank when using the saw----as the wood is thick. And, to avoid sliding the tank back and forwards to get access to the back, where you would need to install the tank.
Old 09/08/2007, 07:52 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aceheart1976
nubian, you got that right, got a question for you, is that southdown sand you have recently purchased? and is it the reefsafe type?
This Southdown sand is 100% reefsafe. I used it in my 175g Bowfront for about 3 years with no problems. Now, this batch I'm using is from a huge order I made about 3-4 years ago. I had enough left over, apparently to use for this new tank. I kept the sand stored in my garage the entire time. It is still fresh.
Old 09/08/2007, 08:07 AM
stop the insults, please

I got mine last night. I see exactly what you mean about the molding! Getting the sump in is going to seriously vex me. I refuse to modify the stand, so this is gonna be fun lol!

This thing is a beast! You are right about the pictures not doing the size justice.

You are using the stock overflow kit, right? Is it loud when its running? How much is your return flow from the sump?
Old 09/08/2007, 08:09 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FUA
So southdown sand is silica free. Is there a way to test just to be sure.
Yes, many RC members on this forum have conducted silica tests for all different types of sand. There is a huge thread here on RC about Southdown. You can simply do the search "Southdown" to find them. Usually, from my understanding, the various sand types are tested using via a Fizz Test. Vinegar is the main ingredient for this.

I did some research for you and found the ultimate Southdown RC thread, created by "Grumpy Vet," known as an expert on Southdown. You will enjoy it:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...ight=southdown
Old 10/21/2007, 08:35 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NUBIANTANGLOVER
Yes, many RC members on this forum have conducted silica tests for all different types of sand. There is a huge thread here on RC about Southdown. You can simply do the search "Southdown" to find them. Usually, from my understanding, the various sand types are tested using via a Fizz Test. Vinegar is the main ingredient for this.

I did some research for you and found the ultimate Southdown RC thread, created by "Grumpy Vet," known as an expert on Southdown. You will enjoy it:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...ight=southdown
Sorry, for the Delay, I am really tring to be patient and take it slow so I will not mess anything up. So far, it's paying off. Well, to answer your question, The overflows are pretty quiet. The overall system is somewhat okay, I can basically hear my pump's motor, but it is not too loud either. I purchased the Sequence Reeflo Dart pump b/c of its rave reviews here on RC.
Old 10/21/2007, 08:55 AM
Registered Member

Okay Everyone,

I am back with additional updates, as well as photos! The biggest obstacle I faced thus far, was getting my sump intact and to eliminate the steady leak I had with the bulkhead attached to my sump. Finally, that battle has been won. Thanks to many prayers as well as silicone and plumber's glue, the problem has been resolved!!!
Old 10/21/2007, 09:15 AM
Registered Member

The skimmer was cleaned thoroughly using pure-distilled vinegar soaked in a very tall bucket. I then easily wiped all the old residue from the skimmer. For those of you who are just chimming in, I am using the ASM G2 Skimmer used on my 175 Bowfront. Immediately after hooking this bad baby up, it went to work!
I did a little research, and the ASM skimmers are no longer being made. They are being replaced by a new line by the manufacturer. The "Octopus Skimmer" line. The new website is www.octopusskimmer.com/
It's sad to see these skimmers being replaced as they totally rocked. They were basically a replica of the EuroReef, which is a fantastic skimmer, but at a very hefty price. I say all this as I know I am gonna have to upgrade my skimmer to handle my new system. For now, it is working swell so I am going to use all the extra time I have saving/researching for an upgrade.

Here's a photo of my ASM G2 Skimmer:
Old 10/21/2007, 09:19 AM
Registered Member

For starters, I purchased 44lbs of pre-cured Liverock from Marine Depot. They price was really nice and the actual liverock I received were awesome! I know 44lbs is merely nothing for a 265g, but it will defintely work for my overall plan.
The rock was placed into the tank, in no particular design. My main objective was to get it in the tank to begin cycling. Some of the pieces were secured via black zipties. I used "black" as it will hide easily as opposed to lighter colored zipties.

Here is a photo of my tank w/ 44lbs of liverock. The rocks look so small.

Last edited by NUBIANTANGLOVER; 10/21/2007 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10/21/2007, 10:15 AM
Registered Member

To further help with my liverock/bioload as well as aquascaping, I ordered about 100lbs. of the famous, Marco Rock. Marc Rock is basically man made rock. Simply seed the rock with liverock and it will turn overtime into pure beautiful liverock! They give very, very nice pieces either in Fiji (my favorite) or Tonga style. I am very pleased with the size, texture, and shapes of the rock. Simply beautiful and at very affordable prices. You simply can not beat this product. It is an excellent way to obtain the rock you need at a great price, save on the environment and produce a fabulous saltwater/reef system. The website is: www.marcorocks.com

Here are several photos of the MarcoRock purchased!

Old 10/21/2007, 11:02 AM
Registered Member

I have added almost all of the Marco Rock to my system. I am trying to figure out where will I put all of this beautiful rock.
Here is a picture of my system w/ the MarcoRock added:

And, as I couldn't resist the photo of his son by the aquarium in niloc's 265g thread, here is a photo of my son by my 265g new system. The photo really helps the observer gain a better appreciation of the tank's size. Hope you like it:

Last edited by NUBIANTANGLOVER; 10/21/2007 at 11:11 AM.