Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/09/2004, 10:58 PM
Registered Member

Angry Californians Tax forms sent to India

I went to do my taxes the other day. My tax lady was telling that the I.R.S. in california is now sending everyones taxe forms to India for processing. And for all those people who use to process them in Sacramento, well they laid them off so they can pay a cheaper wage in India. This is going to far to save a buck. Now you got all of our personal information being handled by people in the middle east. Did the department of homeland security fall asleep?

Last edited by swull; 02/09/2004 at 11:14 PM.
Old 02/09/2004, 11:02 PM
Crap Under User Name

The little men that live behind my eyes and scream into my brain told me to tell you hi.
Old 02/09/2004, 11:18 PM
joke killer

I'm glad I don't pay taxes....................yet.
Old 02/10/2004, 12:20 AM
Loan Shark Willy

umm, taxes sent to the IRS (federal) are sent to fresno in CA, not sacramento.
Old 02/10/2004, 12:26 AM
Registered Member

Its the state taxes only
Old 02/10/2004, 12:38 AM
Crap Under User Name

I would seriously bring this to the attention of The Dept. of Homeland Security! This is an ID theif's dream! And good luck ever tracking down the theif! Imagine a whole state of ID theft victims!

The little men that live behind my eyes and scream into my brain told me to tell you hi.
Old 02/10/2004, 08:29 AM
Vermicious Knid

Actually, India is not part of the Middle East, geographically or politically. And I'm relatively sure this wouldn't be happening without Homeland Security's approval.
Old 02/10/2004, 08:54 AM
RC Mod

The thing that concerns me the most here is that we cannot even send T-Shirts or coffee mugs to our operations in India without them being stolen and just an empty box showing up at their office

George

"You guys confuse me...." ~ mhurley

"So does Sesame Street." ~ BrianD
Old 02/10/2004, 09:18 AM
troublemaker

Lots of tech support, customer service, and even credit card folks use India for `outsourcing' now.

And yes, India is not part of the Middle East; not even close.

For all the debt issues that California is facing ... I'm not suprised. It sure is better than sending prisoners to India
Old 02/10/2004, 11:22 AM
Registered Member

I don't know what exactly is the middle east all I know is it is right next to pakistan and next to that is afganistan.Map of India
Old 02/10/2004, 11:35 AM
troublemaker

And all of those would be considered South Asia, at least by those living there [and those studying it]

Look at the miles in relation to the Middle East. That's a LOT of land between there and Saudi/etc. Note: Central Asia is actually north and west of these countries - and is not considered the Middle East.

--- I went to grad school and minored in South Asian studies [India/Pak/Nepal/Bangladesh/SriLanka/Tibet]. Also lived for two six month periods in Pakistan.
Not to say I'm right because of this study/living, but that there is a lot of mountains and land in between, and culturally quite distinct.

Anyway - I also learned how to argue pointlessly about fine distinctions there too
Old 02/10/2004, 12:40 PM
Carpet Surfer

I just love reading about all the brilliant things the people in CA do.
Old 02/10/2004, 02:15 PM
Loan Shark Willy

Quote:
Originally posted by swull
Its the state taxes only
ah, but state taxes are not submitted to the IRS, rather, they are submitted to the FTB. therein lies the confusion.
Old 02/10/2004, 02:19 PM
Premium Member

Coming from NJ my margin to say smart @@@ stuff is low but isn't Ca the state which just elected Arnold as it's governor?
Old 02/10/2004, 02:22 PM
Loan Shark Willy

Quote:
Originally posted by MiddletonMark
--- I went to grad school and minored in South Asian studies [India/Pak/Nepal/Bangladesh/SriLanka/Tibet]. Also lived for two six month periods in Pakistan.
why is nepal and tibet considered a "South Asian" country? they are pretty darn far north.
Old 02/10/2004, 02:31 PM
Crap Under User Name

Quote:
Originally posted by Orchids
Coming from NJ my margin to say smart @@@ stuff is low but isn't Ca the state which just elected Arnold as it's governor?
He's doing pretty good from what I've heard.

The question should be: "Isn't Ca the state that elected Grey Davis to two terms?"

Old 02/10/2004, 02:38 PM
Carpet Surfer

Quote:
The question should be: "Isn't Ca the state that elected Grey Davis to two terms?"
No, the question should be "When is that state going to finally fall into the ocean?"
Old 02/10/2004, 03:05 PM
troublemaker

Quote:
Originally posted by Wilafur
why is nepal and tibet considered a "South Asian" country? they are pretty darn far north.
Well, Asia is geologically made up of two plates - the `south asian plate' [himalayas and to the south] smashed into the asian plate and is slowly moving north [making the huge mountains].

Nepal at least is on the south asian part, and Tibet ... well depends on if you ask the Chinese [who would agree with you] or not.

I think it's more linguistically/culturally ... but all these definitions are drawing lines in the sand.

Anyway - back to the tax forms
Old 02/10/2004, 03:11 PM
Loan Shark Willy

i thought florida was the state that is supposed to fall into the ocean with all those sinkholes and all.
Old 02/10/2004, 03:12 PM
Registered Member

I know what you mean, where I work, the whole accounting department has been "off shore" to India.

In IT, most programming work is also being done by indian programmers. For the price of an MBA in the US, they can get 10 MBAs there.
Old 02/10/2004, 07:43 PM
I'm Rick James @#$%&

so what are we americans supposed to do?

and how can we find out if any other states are doing this, I would be highly concerned if my SS# and financial onfo was being handled by some one in a 3rd world country.

and I don't care what anyone here says, india is pretty darn close to the middle east...

rememeber, the best place to store alcohol is your bloodstream....
Old 02/10/2004, 07:52 PM
Premium Member

I'm not in favor of offshoring, BUT...

I've worked in and around the Franchise Tax Board for years as a contractor and you have NEVER seen a collection of arrogant civil-service dead-wood in your life. It's *their* money, not yours. And they want it NOW. If they laid off 50%, it would be just a good start.

If it saves my tax dollars, go for it.

But in the end...there are no Layoffs...just reassignment of the dead wood to a darker corner of our state government.
Old 02/10/2004, 08:03 PM
Registered Member

This was not arnolds doing this was in place before he took office. I could see that idiot davis doing something like this. I say this because he was the one who tried to give illegal immarants drivers licenses.

The main issue here is the potential for mass identity theft. Don't you think it would be easier for a terroist to get our information In india. where they have no regard for the potential damage that will be caused in the U.S.
Old 02/10/2004, 08:08 PM
Premium Member

I still don't get why people get so offended by things of this nature. Several companies have the option to go out of business and lay off thousands of hard working americans, or cut corners and lay off a few hundred and outsource! I'm not saying it's the greatest thing, but it certainly is the lesser of two evils. India has nothing to do with the middle east, that is prejudice to pass judgment on other people. They have little in common with most of the middle east, they are not islamic and there is no threat to america by having them help us for less money! What is the worst they could do with the information in terms of terrorism! people can be so naive it amazes me. Your social security numbers are handed down to people who make minimum wage processing paperwork or the underpaid employees that file credit applications and the like. People in India handling our information are no more of a threat to us than all of the other people who handle it. If you are so scared of people from India maybe you shouldn't go to any gas stations or convenience stores because most of them are owned by Indians and they will probably poison all of the food with anthrax and put liquid explosives in the gasoline to kill all of the americans!
Old 02/10/2004, 08:10 PM
I'm Rick James @#$%&

i am very very very disturbed by this information, maybe some news agencies should be informed and do an "expose". I am pretty sure no American would appreciate any state in the union sending such sensitive material to a 3rd world country such as india, in such close proximity of the middle east.......

rememeber, the best place to store alcohol is your bloodstream....

Last edited by salty toes; 02/10/2004 at 08:24 PM.