Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/15/2007, 11:04 AM
Registered Member

Ha ha The great camel shrimp eat off,

AEFW.... Its whats for Dinner

HA HA
Old 11/15/2007, 01:01 PM
King of the white corals

Quote:
Originally posted by acrodave
Well just set up to tanks and put peps in one and camels in another put in some acros with the bugs and have a rb eat off and see who's better
And then dose the losing shrimps tank with Interceptor
Old 11/15/2007, 01:09 PM
How a relationship works

Quote:
Originally posted by flyyyguy
And then dose the losing shrimps tank with Interceptor
nice

Superman puts on Tim Tebow pajamas when he goes to bed

The Heisman as a sophomore nuff said
Old 11/15/2007, 01:55 PM
saltwater in my veins

Them shrimps are voracious little buggers.... it seems a hungry shrimp will eat just about anything.
Old 11/15/2007, 02:07 PM
Registered Member

Worthless if they don't ALL of the eggs and ALL of the worms. One little tiny one slips by and BAM!

Good luck using this as a treatement for these suckers.
Old 11/15/2007, 02:26 PM
Catch and release

Quote:
Originally posted by Serioussnaps
Worthless if they don't ALL of the eggs and ALL of the worms. One little tiny one slips by and BAM!

Good luck using this as a treatement for these suckers.
That was my first thought too.
After a bit I realized they might be helpfull for people wanting get rid of all of them. Like has been stated you could place a couple in your sump and then move heavily infested corals to your sump and back a few at a time. This would relieve a good bit of the flatworm burden on the corals and let them heal up a bit before doing an out of tank treatment. It also wouldn't likely stress the corals too much because they wouldn't be switching between water params.
The corals that are typically affected worse by the out of tank treatment methods are the ones with the worst flatworm damage. This would allow you to significantly reduce that damage and let them heal up some before putting them through all that stress. It also might help get rid of eggs that would otherwise be missed.
Just a thought.

Chris
Old 11/15/2007, 02:28 PM
cnidarian vigilante

I read this yesterday as well. It would be interesting if this works out. Peppermint shrimp are fine with acros BTW, I had a bunch in my old SPS tank. They are recommending camel backs which I guess would have to be kept in a seperate tank or something.

SerioussnapsMaybe if they do eat the worms, we could do a series of treatments with the shrimp and QT the coral for a few weeks or however long the cycle is for the eggs?

Last edited by JB NY; 11/15/2007 at 02:34 PM.
Old 11/15/2007, 03:43 PM
Registered Member

this could be big. Joe hos the right idea also. The whole sump thing is a BAD idea because your allowing the FW and RB back into your system to attach to other corals. JMHO
Old 11/15/2007, 04:08 PM
Why do I live in IL?

Tanya, if the system is already infected with AEFW, it wont matter. Now putting a new coral in the sump of a tank that ISNT infected is def a bad idea. No sense risking introducing them at all IMO. But if you know you have them already, this could possibly be a way to treat the coral and not have to QT it in a dif system. Now this method may not ensure your tank is going to ever get rid of them 100%, but its sure better than watching all your corals die one by one.
Old 11/15/2007, 04:46 PM
Premium Member

I haven't seen it myself, but someone I know witnessed this with peppermints as well.

I like the idea of keeping a sump full of them. I suppose you'd HAVE to feed them a little though, barring any infested corals.

jds

Quote:
Originally posted by gasman059
my experience has been utilizing peps.
Old 11/15/2007, 04:52 PM
Crawfish Eating Reefer

I read somewhere that peppermint shrimps aren't meant to be kept in large group as they could kill each other off.

Is this true.
Old 11/15/2007, 06:36 PM
Registered Member

I kept 19 of them in a 150g, they all lived no problem. I had a bad aptasia problem they solved.
Old 11/15/2007, 09:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by speedstar
I kept 19 of them in a 150g, they all lived no problem. I had a bad aptasia problem they solved.
I started with 24 in my 525 gal. to eat aptasia, after most of the aptasia was gone they did seem to slim in numbers. I now have about 6 that I see every now and then, mostly when I feed the fish.
So, I am reading this correct, that the peps will eat red bugs too?
Old 11/15/2007, 09:25 PM
Reefer Maniac

peppermints can totally be kept in groups, no worries, ...

if this camel shrimp thing works, WOW, what an amazing breakthrough it might be
Old 11/15/2007, 09:55 PM
Registered Member

I have about 30 Peps or so in my large sump and about 20 or so in my main tank. We collect them locally here by the dozens.

I believe they might be breeding in my sump as I just noticed lots of smaller ones I haven't seen before. I do feed the sump regularly also.

I just had a nasty break out of Nudibranch's and they devasted my Montis. I trashed most of them as I just did not have the time, equipment nor the place to set up a quarantine tank.

The Peps did not help me in my case as far as I know and now that I have gotten rid of my large colonies I believe my Sixline can do it's job now and get to the remainder nudibranches. i know I haven't seen them for a few weeks, but it is also to early to tell if I won.

Could be because of what was mentioned in this thread, feeding the tank on a regular basis kept the peps happy. But even then I believe the peps would have gone after the nudibranches as you can just never feed a tank enough. Everything in it is always looking for food. So the peps would have taken the opportunity to eat the nudibranches if they had wanted to.
Old 11/15/2007, 10:16 PM
TANK RAIDER!

Quote:
Originally posted by JB NY
I read this yesterday as well. It would be interesting if this works out. Peppermint shrimp are fine with acros BTW, I had a bunch in my old SPS tank. They are recommending camel backs which I guess would have to be kept in a seperate tank or something.

SerioussnapsMaybe if they do eat the worms, we could do a series of treatments with the shrimp and QT the coral for a few weeks or however long the cycle is for the eggs?

This is the ticket for all newly acquired acros and montis as well as our typical inter-fluke and so forth.

If the peps are not fed they will take care of any pests + eggs. They just treat anything that goes into the tank as dirty and they do go after it like the proverbial flies on sh....t.
Old 11/15/2007, 10:18 PM
TANK RAIDER!

Quote:
Originally posted by HBtank
Them shrimps are voracious little buggers.... it seems a hungry shrimp will eat just about anything.
exactly!
Old 11/15/2007, 10:19 PM
Registered Member

Not peppermint shrimp CAMEL SHRIMP
Old 11/16/2007, 04:14 AM
Registered Member

by placing shrimps in the sump... that defeats the purpose of starving them...right?
Old 11/16/2007, 06:24 AM
TANK RAIDER!

Quote:
Originally posted by tanya72806
Not peppermint shrimp CAMEL SHRIMP
PEPS!
Old 11/16/2007, 06:24 AM
TANK RAIDER!

Quote:
Originally posted by eagleONE
by placing shrimps in the sump... that defeats the purpose of starving them...right?
true
separate qt tank
Old 11/16/2007, 07:09 AM
Catch and release

Probably need to specify which shrimp
Gasman claims peppermints work but take 24 hours to do the job and must be starved.
The people advocating Camel shrimp claim more than an hour or so is harmfull to the coral and no mention of a need to starve.

I also typically keep a couple of peppermints in my tanks for Aiptasia control and I had AEFW's so I know just a couple of peppermints in a tank won't eliminate them, they could have kept them in check a bit and I just didn't know it.

Chris
Old 11/16/2007, 07:24 AM
TANK RAIDER!

Quote:
Originally posted by fishdoc11
Probably need to specify which shrimp
Gasman claims peppermints work but take 24 hours to do the job and must be starved.
The people advocating Camel shrimp claim more than an hour or so is harmfull to the coral and no mention of a need to starve.

I also typically keep a couple of peppermints in my tanks for Aiptasia control and I had AEFW's so I know just a couple of peppermints in a tank won't eliminate them, they could have kept them in check a bit and I just didn't know it.

Chris
Chris like many of us for years now i've wondered what could take care of this critters and yes I swear by wrasses(yellow-radiants etc.)

About a month ago I stumbled into this and could not believe my eyes.

Separate qt tank full of peppermints upwards of 20-30. I did drop a cap that was infested with visible adults and watch them just instatnly go at it literally making the adults dissapear in seconds-FAST and after inspection(lupe) no eggs either hungry buggers they are when not fed. I assume they will also eat AEFW

Left 24 hrs in a qt tank that's properly conditioned I have no doubt that this will take care of any new comers as well as eggs.
Once this is done our usual pre display dips should only make things safer.For all kinds of pests this should most def work IMHO

I can only wonder if at all is possible that we by doing all of the pharmacological treatments are creating some sort of super nudis that eventually will beacome resistant to all of our dips.(sorry this is the doctor in me speaking now.)

I'm currently planning an upgrade and will most def setup a semi attached "qt" tank to do this to all my newcomers. After all u only need to see them sokers once in your lifetime to realize that one time is too many.

As well all know once in your system is just way to hard to erradicate u can just only hope to contain them
Old 11/16/2007, 09:52 AM
Premium Member

Half my setup is going to be QT tanks. One for hyposalinity for ich, one full of peps (or is it camel) for aptasia/AEFW/red bugs. I assume hypo will kill shrimp.
Old 11/16/2007, 09:58 AM
Registered Member

Gas says peps but the whole reason for this thread was to tell us about camel shrimp QT take care of these lil buggers. I think someone with the room should set up both of these and document it