Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/05/2008, 04:00 AM
Premium Member

Grim, I have a 120 gal 48x24x24 tank with two 400 w. If I wanted a t5 fixture what would you recomend? Where can I buy it from? Thanks
Old 01/05/2008, 08:47 AM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Either a Aquactinics Constellation (Aquarium Specialtys from the sponsors page) or the ATI Powermodule with 8 lamps. Reefgeek sells the ATI units
Old 01/05/2008, 08:58 AM
Registered Member

Hey Grim, I got some cheap Helios 2' T5HO III fixtures that i use strictly for supplentation and dusk and dawn effects. The Helios actinic O3 it came with are pretty good but I decided to try out some UVL actinics. What I didnt know is the helios lamps are 1/2" longer than the other brands. I guess thats one way they make sure you only use thier brand of T5s huh? Anyways, do you know if there is a way to extend the pins of the UVL to make it fit a Helios fixture? Thanks!
Old 01/05/2008, 10:42 AM

Not really. You should try their Super Blue lamp if they are still making them, very nice look to the lamp.
Old 01/05/2008, 10:43 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
Either a Aquactinics Constellation (Aquarium Specialtys from the sponsors page) or the ATI Powermodule with 8 lamps. Reefgeek sells the ATI units
Thank you! I will look at them and I'm sure I will have more questions.
Old 01/05/2008, 11:11 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
Not really. You should try their Super Blue lamp if they are still making them, very nice look to the lamp.
Bummer. The Helios lamp im using as supps are the super blue. It is nice but I was just curios to see what the UV Actinics looks like.
Old 01/05/2008, 11:32 AM
Registered Member

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by austinvanover
Grim,
I currently have the 6 bulb 54 watt system from sunlight supply over my 75 gallon. I am getting ready to change the bulbs out. Can you give me a recommendation on what bulbs to use. I am currently keeping sps and I plan on adding clams. Your input is greatly appreciated.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blue Plus
Aquablue
UVL Aquasun
Blue Plus
Aquablue
Blue Plus

Grim,
Where is the best place to purchase these bulbs online?
Old 01/05/2008, 11:37 AM

Reefgeek usually has the best prices.
Old 01/05/2008, 12:56 PM
Registered Member

Blue+ are backordered on reefgeek just ordered yesterday
Old 01/05/2008, 01:32 PM
grouchy hermit

Grim - what's the visual and growth differences you see with your current T5 bulb selection versus your recommended 6 bulb setup?

Blue Plus
Pro Color
Super Actinic
UVL 75/25
Blue plus
Blue Plus

vs.

Blue Plus
Aquablue
UVL Aquasun
Blue Plus
Aquablue
Blue Plus

Spleen
Old 01/05/2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by x2uranium
Blue+ are backordered on reefgeek just ordered yesterday
The Giesemann actinic plus will do.
Old 01/05/2008, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by spleen93
Grim - what's the visual and growth differences you see with your current T5 bulb selection versus your recommended 6 bulb setup?

Blue Plus
Pro Color
Super Actinic
UVL 75/25
Blue plus
Blue Plus

vs.

Blue Plus
Aquablue
UVL Aquasun
Blue Plus
Aquablue
Blue Plus

Spleen
The pink and purple colors pop more using the pro color mix. I've had so many problems with the current tank I cant really judge how my growth has been but the lower mix will obviously have more PAR. It will not have the purplish cast to it my mix has and pinks and purples wont stand out as much
Old 01/05/2008, 01:49 PM
Registered Member

Grim you know of any GOOD DIY Hood links for 48" (not wood) Need something that will fit 4 Lamp but Not over 12"w. I just ordered my 660 with Icecap reflectors (not in stock too btw) and all the other goodies, Do you think a regular 48" Commerical Wrap around style light may work? Just pop out the old stuff swap with new + reflectors and maybe cut out top spots for fans?
Old 01/05/2008, 03:10 PM
Where does this screw go?

What Actinic bulb is everyone getting corals to "pop" with? I currently have 4 of my 6 bulbs fired up untill i get to build a new hood. They are on an IC 660 and the last 2 will be on an advance ballast. From front to back I have:

Future
Giesemann Actinic Plus
Giesemann Aquablue
UVL Super Actinic
Giesemann Actinic Plus
Future

I'd like to get ahold of some of the ATI Aquablue, Fiji Purple(for reds) and wanted to see what actinic i should pick up. Where are the Fiji's avaliable?
Thanks,
Walter
Old 01/05/2008, 04:02 PM
Registered Member

Grim,
You recommended the below bulbs for my set-up, I have never used them before. Can you tell me what type of look this will give my tank? Thank you,
Austin

Blue Plus
Aquablue
UVL Aquasun
Blue Plus
Aquablue
Blue Plus
Old 01/05/2008, 04:28 PM
Registered Member

For a Oceanic 30g Cube sized L 20.5 x W 21 x H 18.5 which ATi Light Fixture would you suggest? Lookin at the 24" powermodules in either 2,4, or 6 bulb configurations. Tank will be a mix of sps/lps/ zoas.

Since there will be an overhang would taping up 2" on each side of the acrylic sheild w/ a dark tape to prevent the overspill be ok?

Thanks
Old 01/05/2008, 11:12 PM
Registered Member

I currently have a 75 gallon mixed reef with SPS, LPS and Softies. I am started to get a few more SPS so I am thinking about upgrading my lighting. Currently I am using four 4ft VHO off of a Icecap 660 ballast. I am thinking about using the ballast to drive T-5 bulbs. I was thinking about using 4 T-5's in the canopy.

Should I overdrive the t-5 bulbs or get a NO ballast? I am afraid I am going to cook my softies if I overdrive the bulbs

Should I use my VHO actinics with T-5 bulbs or change to all T-5's?

What bulb combination would get me close to the look of 14k halides?

Thanks
Old 01/06/2008, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by x2uranium
Grim you know of any GOOD DIY Hood links for 48" (not wood) Need something that will fit 4 Lamp but Not over 12"w. I just ordered my 660 with Icecap reflectors (not in stock too btw) and all the other goodies, Do you think a regular 48" Commerical Wrap around style light may work? Just pop out the old stuff swap with new + reflectors and maybe cut out top spots for fans?
Never done anything with making a canopy. I imagine anything with room for the parts will work.
Old 01/06/2008, 01:07 AM
Registered Member

grim can you give a small diagram of your set up including bulbs ballast what turns on first and place ment of bulbs just curious how your running your set up thanks victor
Old 01/06/2008, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by captain7359
What Actinic bulb is everyone getting corals to "pop" with? I currently have 4 of my 6 bulbs fired up untill i get to build a new hood. They are on an IC 660 and the last 2 will be on an advance ballast. From front to back I have:

Future
Giesemann Actinic Plus
Giesemann Aquablue
UVL Super Actinic
Giesemann Actinic Plus
Future

I'd like to get ahold of some of the ATI Aquablue, Fiji Purple(for reds) and wanted to see what actinic i should pick up. Where are the Fiji's avaliable?
Thanks,
Walter
Reefgeek has about everything but the Fijis' The UVL Super Actinic is about the best actinic lamp
Old 01/06/2008, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by austinvanover
Grim,
You recommended the below bulbs for my set-up, I have never used them before. Can you tell me what type of look this will give my tank? Thank you,
Austin

Blue Plus
Aquablue
UVL Aquasun
Blue Plus
Aquablue
Blue Plus
A strong 14K halide look, a tad on the blue side but bright.
Old 01/06/2008, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fast94m
For a Oceanic 30g Cube sized L 20.5 x W 21 x H 18.5 which ATi Light Fixture would you suggest? Lookin at the 24" powermodules in either 2,4, or 6 bulb configurations. Tank will be a mix of sps/lps/ zoas.

Since there will be an overhang would taping up 2" on each side of the acrylic sheild w/ a dark tape to prevent the overspill be ok?

Thanks
Do a 6 lamp unit. You may not need to tape, the lamps are only about 22.5" and don't light to the ends
Old 01/06/2008, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by goat585
I currently have a 75 gallon mixed reef with SPS, LPS and Softies. I am started to get a few more SPS so I am thinking about upgrading my lighting. Currently I am using four 4ft VHO off of a Icecap 660 ballast. I am thinking about using the ballast to drive T-5 bulbs. I was thinking about using 4 T-5's in the canopy.

Should I overdrive the t-5 bulbs or get a NO ballast? I am afraid I am going to cook my softies if I overdrive the bulbs

Should I use my VHO actinics with T-5 bulbs or change to all T-5's?

What bulb combination would get me close to the look of 14k halides?

Thanks
I'd go VHO actinics with 4 regularly driven T5's with IC reflectors.
Old 01/06/2008, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by flaco626nj
grim can you give a small diagram of your set up including bulbs ballast what turns on first and place ment of bulbs just curious how your running your set up thanks victor
Blue Plus Ballast 1
Pro Color Ballast 2
Super Actinic Ballast 1
UVL 75/25 Ballast 2
Blue plus Ballast 3
Blue Plus Ballast 3

Ballast 1 on 9am off 9pm
Ballast 2 on at 11am off 7pm
Ballast 3 on 10:30 off 7:30
Old 01/06/2008, 01:27 AM
grouchy hermit

Thanks once again for your endless tireless work on this thread, Grim!

Quote:
Blue Plus
Pro Color
Super Actinic
UVL 75/25
Blue plus
Blue Plus

vs.

Blue Plus
Aquablue
UVL Aquasun
Blue Plus
Aquablue
Blue Plus

... the lower mix will obviously have more PAR ...
Is this primarily because of the Aquablues in the lower mix?

Spleen