Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/31/2007, 09:19 AM
Registered Member

and sorry if a stupid question but what do you mean by overdriven? thanks
Old 12/31/2007, 09:45 AM
Registered Member

Grim, what about the coverage of the Aquactinics TX5 over a 24x24x20 tall tank. The fixture is only 9" front to back....they packed them in there!
Old 12/31/2007, 09:55 AM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Quote:
Originally posted by KOZMOBC
and sorry if a stupid question but what do you mean by overdriven? thanks
The Ice Cap ballast pushes more wattage through the lamps than a standard ballast. Makes them a lot brighter. You need to run a small fan at each end blowing in near the endcaps on each side to keep the lamps from overheating.

For lamps do

Front
ATI Aquablue
UVL Super Actinic
UVL Aquasun
ATI Aquablue
Old 12/31/2007, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cashman95
Grim, what about the coverage of the Aquactinics TX5 over a 24x24x20 tall tank. The fixture is only 9" front to back....they packed them in there!
It should be OK unless you have stuff right against the front and rear glass
Old 12/31/2007, 10:01 AM
Registered Member

thank you very much grim you do alot of fine work here have a good one sir
Old 01/01/2008, 07:42 PM
Registered Member

I got a nova pro 12-39w 72" I see your current light configuration would that work for a 125g 22" deep, keeping a little of everything? Do you still think this fixture is a yugo? thanks
Old 01/01/2008, 09:08 PM
Premium Member

I really hate to add to Grim's grief, who must be sleeping hard after answering so many questions.

But I can't help myself. One thing I haven't seen in this thread, is how to arrange bulbs if you can view a tank from both front and back.

I'm getting a 48" 54w 6 lamp fixture for my 55 gl mixed reef. I see you are using the following Grim:

ATI Blue Plus
ATI Pro Color
UVL Super Actinic
UVL 75/25
ATI Blue plus
ATI Blue Plus

Is that going to look equally splendid from front or back, or do changes need to be made? I'm for enhancing the entire color spectrum, with 3 or 4 of the least demanding SPS in the mix.

TIA for any help you can provide.
Old 01/01/2008, 10:03 PM
Registered Member

Grim,

Hey! I currently have a 120g 48" x 24"x 24" with softies and LPS with PCs. I'd like to add some SPS possibly. Can you give me some recs for a economical plug and play T-5 light fixture and brand? I don't know how to retro any ballasts-so I'd rather not try.

So can you give me option A with softies and LPS and option B with some SPS. Also, can you give me your recommendation for bulbs-brands and sequence as well. Thanks!
Old 01/01/2008, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kdirk
I got a nova pro 12-39w 72" I see your current light configuration would that work for a 125g 22" deep, keeping a little of everything? Do you still think this fixture is a yugo? thanks
Is it a Yugo? Maybe a Focus.

My current config would work except I think you should go with the UVL Aquasun instead of the pro color for the extra PAR
Old 01/01/2008, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Warmart
I really hate to add to Grim's grief, who must be sleeping hard after answering so many questions.

But I can't help myself. One thing I haven't seen in this thread, is how to arrange bulbs if you can view a tank from both front and back.

I'm getting a 48" 54w 6 lamp fixture for my 55 gl mixed reef. I see you are using the following Grim:

ATI Blue Plus
ATI Pro Color
UVL Super Actinic
UVL 75/25
ATI Blue plus
ATI Blue Plus

Is that going to look equally splendid from front or back, or do changes need to be made? I'm for enhancing the entire color spectrum, with 3 or 4 of the least demanding SPS in the mix.

TIA for any help you can provide.
do this
BP
PC
SA
BP
75/25
BP
Old 01/01/2008, 10:46 PM
Premium Member

Thanks, Grim - I greatly appreciate your answer. Happy New Year.
Old 01/02/2008, 12:20 AM
Registered Member

Grim or anyone else,

Most of this thread has promoted ATI or UV lighting bulbs, but I am curious if anyone has any input on Aqua Science bulbs or Korallen-zucht bulbs? Specifically, the Fiji Purple Korallen-Zucht KZ bulbs? The little literature I have read suggests this bulb is optimal for SPS corals?

I also want to say that the info provided in this thread is invaluable and appreciated.

Brian

A fat dog is only fat because the owner feeds it to much!
Old 01/02/2008, 05:09 PM
grouchy hermit

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
Close grasshopper but you missed the pebble

Actinic Plus
UVL Super Actinic
UVL Aquasun
Aquablue Plus
Grim - just for education purposes, why the aquablue plus in this mix? Taking into account the restriction of no ATI bulbs and if we look at your regular recommendation for 4 bulb T5 fixtures:

Front
ATI Blue Plus
UVL Super Actinic
UVL Aquasun
ATI Blue Plus

and looking at the spectrographs of the bulbs, it would seem that the Giesemann Actinic Plus is the closest to the ATI Blue Plus. So why the replacement of one of the ATI Blue Plus bulbs with a G Aquablue Plus bulb (which looks more like the ATI Aquablue Special to my untrained eye)?

I would have thought it should have looked like:

Front
Giesemann Actinic Plus
UVL Super Actinic
UVL Aquasun
Giesemann Actinic Plus

Inquiring minds want to know!

Spleen
Old 01/02/2008, 08:29 PM
Registered Member

I'm going to setup either a 15G(24"Lx12"Wx12"H) or a 20G(24"Lx12"Wx16"H) and was planning on keeping LPS some SPS and maybe some softies. I was thinking a 4 bulb setup with SLR reflectors about 3-4" off the water. I've got an IC660 I can use or should I use 2 Triads instead as not to overdrive and to do dusk/dawn effect? Also I need some help selecting bulbs. Thanks.
Old 01/02/2008, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by baxterdawg
Grim or anyone else,

Most of this thread has promoted ATI or UV lighting bulbs, but I am curious if anyone has any input on Aqua Science bulbs or Korallen-zucht bulbs? Specifically, the Fiji Purple Korallen-Zucht KZ bulbs? The little literature I have read suggests this bulb is optimal for SPS corals?

I also want to say that the info provided in this thread is invaluable and appreciated.

Brian
Nothing is promoted here. The KZ Coral Light and a ATI Blue Plus only have one difference I can see. The KZ costs 14.00 more and judging by the looks and PAR output they are likey the very same lamp seeing as how Sylvania is supposed to be the OEM for both. The Fiji Purple just didn't do anything special I could see. I have one collecting dust. The Aquascience lamps aren't worth the premium they are charging. If they were the same price as the Giesemanns (also made by Narva like the AS lamps) then why not.
Old 01/02/2008, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by spleen93
Grim - just for education purposes, why the aquablue plus in this mix? Taking into account the restriction of no ATI bulbs and if we look at your regular recommendation for 4 bulb T5 fixtures:

Front
ATI Blue Plus
UVL Super Actinic
UVL Aquasun
ATI Blue Plus

and looking at the spectrographs of the bulbs, it would seem that the Giesemann Actinic Plus is the closest to the ATI Blue Plus. So why the replacement of one of the ATI Blue Plus bulbs with a G Aquablue Plus bulb (which looks more like the ATI Aquablue Special to my untrained eye)?

I would have thought it should have looked like:

Front
Giesemann Actinic Plus
UVL Super Actinic
UVL Aquasun
Giesemann Actinic Plus

Inquiring minds want to know!

Spleen
It could be that. Using the Aquablue Plus just give a slightly brighter look and a little more PAR>
Old 01/02/2008, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by simion3
I'm going to setup either a 15G(24"Lx12"Wx12"H) or a 20G(24"Lx12"Wx16"H) and was planning on keeping LPS some SPS and maybe some softies. I was thinking a 4 bulb setup with SLR reflectors about 3-4" off the water. I've got an IC660 I can use or should I use 2 Triads instead as not to overdrive and to do dusk/dawn effect? Also I need some help selecting bulbs. Thanks.
Just use the standard ballasts.

Lamps just use the basic 4 lamp deal,

blue plus, Super Actinic, Aquasun and either blue plus for a more bluish look or aquablue for less blue
Old 01/02/2008, 10:58 PM
Premium Member

Grim - very happy with my setup and your lighting recommendations. but i am now investigating dimable ballasts.... which i can't find very much information about.

do you have any experience/insights into dimmable t5 ballasts? I am currently running the vossolh-schwabbe (sp) that came with the reefgeek kit... i found some manufacturers of dimmable t5ho ballasts, but i do not see these brands discussed often for reef applications (lutron, advance transformer, etc).

thanks in advance

david
Old 01/02/2008, 11:01 PM
Premium Member

sorry for the double post.... before i even think of researching further... will the UVL and ATI lamps dim gracefully?

It takes an hour to wake the fishies up each morning by slowly turning on lights in the room.... i'm trying to get a more natural sunrise.....
Old 01/02/2008, 11:57 PM
grouchy hermit

Thanks Grim! Doing lots of research into 4 bulb T5 units and it's good to know that I've got at least the bulbs figured out now.

Spleen
Old 01/03/2008, 07:06 PM
Registered Member

Grim-did you miss my first post? See below:

Hey! I currently have a 120g 48" x 24"x 24" with softies and LPS with PCs. I'd like to add some SPS possibly. Can you give me some recs for a economical plug and play T-5 light fixture and brand? I don't know how to retro any ballasts-so I'd rather not try.

So can you give me option A with softies and LPS and option B with some SPS. Also, can you give me your recommendation for bulbs-brands and sequence as well. Thanks!
Old 01/03/2008, 07:17 PM
Registered Member

I would love to see osme pics of how any of you have your t5's mounted, Im considering a 2" piece of wood to run from the front to back of my hood on both sides...should I drill holes for the wires to run up into the endcaps? show me the way!!! lol
Old 01/03/2008, 08:36 PM

I think the main problem with dimmable ballasts is finding a controller to run them. A ballast is a ballast, the ones we use are nothing special, just standard T5 ballasts.

Quote:
Originally posted by woganaga
Grim - very happy with my setup and your lighting recommendations. but i am now investigating dimable ballasts.... which i can't find very much information about.

do you have any experience/insights into dimmable t5 ballasts? I am currently running the vossolh-schwabbe (sp) that came with the reefgeek kit... i found some manufacturers of dimmable t5ho ballasts, but i do not see these brands discussed often for reef applications (lutron, advance transformer, etc).

thanks in advance

david
Old 01/03/2008, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woganaga
sorry for the double post.... before i even think of researching further... will the UVL and ATI lamps dim gracefully?

It takes an hour to wake the fishies up each morning by slowly turning on lights in the room.... i'm trying to get a more natural sunrise.....
dunno, no reason for them not to.
Old 01/03/2008, 09:10 PM
Registered Member

What is the difference in lighting power between the nova extreme 8x54 and the nova extreme pro 6x54? And dont say 2 bulbs-