Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/28/2007, 10:17 PM
Premium Member

sump dilemna

Well this is what I am doing. I am setting up a 38gal tank. I have had it set up before, but move to an apartment had to take down, you know the story. Well now I want to set it up again, now that I have a house. Before I never had a sump just a hang on the back skimmer and hob refugium. The main reason for the sump is to put the skimmer in so I don't have to worry about it overflowing which it has done before. My dilemma is if I should put a refugium in the sump as well. I will be moving a few years down the road and don't know how hard it will be to move everything. Moving a refugium seems to me that the sand and stuff will get all stirred up and create a cycle when it gets set back up. I will build the sump out of a 20H. I am going to use a mag 7 with a sqwd for return. I think. It should give me good flow. There will also be a powerhead or two in the tank as well. any advice would be appreciated. also advice about return hose and drain hose sizes I need. thanks for any help.
Old 11/28/2007, 10:55 PM
Zoanthid collector

A fuge does not have to have sand in it.
Old 11/29/2007, 12:05 AM
Premium Member

Yea no sand. Some live rock or reef rubble would be great. You can combine the 2 refuge/sump with a protien skimmer in it. Add a little extra flow to keep the detrius from settling on the bottom.
Old 11/29/2007, 12:09 AM
Premium Member

would just a powerhead work for the extra flow.
Old 11/29/2007, 01:14 AM
Registered Member

If you are going to move a doubt you can avoid a cycle
Old 11/29/2007, 11:07 AM
Premium Member

a powerhead would be fine
Old 11/29/2007, 11:29 AM
will work for fish food!

For your sump return pump you should aim for 3-5x turnover.
Main flow of tank should be from PH's.
Tunze nano's or koralia's are good choices.
Sump return I would rec eheim or oceanrunner over the mag.
LR rubble and chaeto for fuge.
Old 11/29/2007, 01:15 PM
Premium Member

I agree having the fuge even without sand is still a great idea. As others have said, it is a great place to grow a lot of cheato to improve your parameters. Even better, it will be a safe-haven for loads of little critters you would hardly ever see otherwise.
Old 11/29/2007, 01:21 PM
Master of Funk

A Mag7 will create way to much flow through a 20g sump to keep a refugium in place unless its separated from the bulk of the flow.
Old 11/30/2007, 08:00 PM
Premium Member

what size of pump should I use? I think I got confused. I thought I read somewhere that a mag 7 would work good for this setup. The sump will just be a flow through design. input/skimmer, then refuge, then return, with baffles between each section.
Old 11/30/2007, 08:59 PM
Master of Funk

I would put the Mag 7 through the headloss calculator on the main RC page to see what the flow will be with your plumbing. I prefer to see the flow through the sump match the rating on the skimmer.

The mag 7 might be fine, but I would not put the 'fuge in the middle. By having it in the middle you cant control the flow through it to keep it right for whatever you got growing in there.
Old 12/01/2007, 12:04 AM
Premium Member

I am taking your advice poppin. return will be in the middle skimmer on one end and fuge on the other. Also I did what you said about the head loss calcutlator and found out mag 7 too big. For a 38gal tank I figured 200 gph is what I need. That is 5x turnover. That means a mag 5 would work just fine for me. I guess that is good 5 is cheaper. Thanks for all your help.