Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/23/2004, 05:44 AM
Registered Member

2nd Greenhouse prop system

Here is the link to my GH. My first one was small (200 sq. ft.) This one is 30' x 72' So much bigger.

GH LINK

The future is a self sustaining hobby.
Old 09/23/2004, 10:34 AM
Aspiring Polymath

I like the way the tanks look. If I was planning on having walk-in customers, I would consider using tanks that are prettier than the rubbermaid stock tanks in my greenhouse. I like the big plastic sump you have too.

Out of curiosity, are the tanks glass or acrylic? Hopefully they are glass. From what I understand, acrylic is UV unstable and will yellow and become more brittle over time.
Old 09/23/2004, 11:58 AM
Reef Joker

very cool and quite the grand scale!

so are you going to grow trees and other critters in the rest of the green house?

how do you plan on isolating portions of the system if you get a disease or pest outbreak?

did you take LUX readings to determine you'd need a 40% shade cloth?

I've been thinking about the geo thermal cooling and lots of mixed opinions from others. A few said pvc pipe would insulate the water too well to be effective. Can you close off the cooling loop to compare how much cooling you get?

Dendro: I asked a similar question about acrylic and sunlight and someone commented that most of current acrylics are UV stable.
not sure if that is true or not.
Old 09/23/2004, 01:53 PM
Aspiring Polymath

Quote:
most of current acrylics are UV stable
I think there may be coating available, but when you talk about molecular structure, not a chance. I talked with a professor of polymer engineering on the very subject.
Old 09/23/2004, 02:10 PM
Reef Joker

H20ENG
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=436678
Old 09/23/2004, 07:14 PM
1 Tank Shy of an Ocean

Treeman, please post your pics here too, thos area sweet!!!
Old 09/24/2004, 08:18 AM
Aspiring Polymath

I'll tell you what. I hope I am wrong about acrylic. I would like to have some tanks in my greenhouse, and I don't like the weight or color of glass. I have yet to see UV stable acrylic though.
Old 09/24/2004, 05:51 PM
Ozone Sniffer

Dendro,
Look at the thread Sharkdude linked to above. James (Acrylics) explains some of it there. I trust him as much as any acrylic sheet mfr.

"Be sure and wear a speedo lest tangs nest in your britches"
Old 09/24/2004, 09:41 PM
Registered Member

Dendro,
The tanks are acrylic. I almost used wood and epoxy but time was a factor and I could build these much faster. I have read that the acrylic will last a long time outside so I wasn't to worried.(More worried about hurricanes ) Just like they stated here.

The plastic tank? Is not plastic. I am not sure which one you mean, but the settlement chamber is wood and epoxy coated and the big sump is actually concrete set about 4' in the ground.

Sharkdude,

I am only going to have plants in the GH on a temporary basis. The entire thing is for aquaculture. I hope to set up the other 3 systems the begining of the year.

I can lower the drains in any of the tanks to isolate them if need be. Also for cleaning etc.

I looked into stainless steel for the exchanger and that alone was over $1,000 so that was out. The cooling loop is not connected. No saltwater will go below ground except in the sump. That will help with cooling also. I have built a pvc exchanger that was cheap to build, If it doesn't work it is not a big killer.

The shade cloth was decided on info from other growers like Rocky (Scubadude) and my other GH. I had 30% on it and could not keep the temps done. I may have to change it later. But I am unsure of the UV screening of the Poly also. So I may have to do something with that at the same time.

Old 09/25/2004, 09:23 AM
Aspiring Polymath

A quick note on acrylic. I read the description of the UV resistant acrylic and the thing that concerned me was the language used. It sounded more like a marketing pitch "guaranteeing" a certain result without any description of the mechanism for getting that result. From what I understand, the very nature of the acrylic polymer makes it vulnerable to UV degradation. The bonds basically come apart, and that's why you see the acrylic get yellow and brittle. My question would be whether the acrylic manufacturers actually fixed this on a chemical engineering level or are they just adding some sort of UV stabilizer (like a sun block). From what it sounds like, it is the latter which would still give me serious concerns about using the material for a greenhouse system. There are plastics out there that are UV resistant by nature such as polycarbonate and polyethylene, but I don't know if they can be made as clear as acrylic.

Treeman,
Take some pics of the Geothermal radiator when you get a chance. I'm interested to see it when it's all done.
Old 09/27/2004, 07:10 PM
WTMRAC's Daddy

Awesome...geothermal cooling is the way to go. Looks like quite the undertaking.
Old 10/31/2004, 01:26 PM
Registered Member

I lived on a sailboat for 10 years. On sailboats acrylic windows are considered top of the line and it is very rare to see yellowing. They last years and years without yellowing. Polycarbonate only lasts 4 or 5 years. That is with constant exposure to 100% sun (no shade cloth). Acrylic is susceptable to damage from some glass cleaners, which cause crazing, but that is true in the house also.
Old 11/11/2004, 07:54 AM
Premium Member

Sweet thread Matt!

just wanted to get a tag on it. Dewd...post some recent pics here plez for those of us who are limited to cookie space. How are your water temps now? Starting to get a little cooler down here specially @ nite, right?
Old 11/11/2004, 02:42 PM
Registered Member

Yeah, The tanks are around 74 now. Nights have been as low as 68. I haven't had time to hook up the geothermal. Trying to do this week.

I will take some pics today.

Old 11/11/2004, 03:12 PM
On hobby time out!

In the other thread you had some comments about getting salt from IO by the huge pails. May I ask why? Most people in FL close enough to the coast that has a tank just get NSW. Why not use that instead?
Old 11/11/2004, 10:39 PM
Registered Member

Do to problems with quality. I have had NSW come in with amm, phosphates etc. And who knows what else. Also, if you grow in NSW and put it in a tank of synthetic a lot of times it shocks because of the differences. I have been using it for now. I want to set up the next system with half and half.

Old 11/11/2004, 10:42 PM
Registered Member

Some updated pics.

With both curtains up.

Zoanthus grow out

Old 11/12/2004, 12:09 AM
Registered Member

I hate you
Very nice Matt when's the grand tour?
Old 11/12/2004, 06:46 AM
Registered Member

Hopefully at the next tank hop I will be ready!

Old 11/12/2004, 10:39 AM
Premium Member

Matt,
Man I hope your having fun doing this.....I know I would be! Your gig is coming along nicely....Couple of questions.

Are those aragocrete plugs your using? Did you use a mold like dixie cups or just freehand them. Did you use some dye or coloration in your cement mix?

I know your using acrylic tanks but from one of the pics u just posted it appears that you have some slight bowing (might just be the angle of the cam) are those braces you made to span the tank for reinforcement and do they help?

I know Gpajon is kewl and Gpajon dont think this is direct toward you. But Matt I want you to think SERIOUSLY about who you show where this greenhouse is located Robs just recently moved to florida and setup an outside deal and was robbed shortly after. Please consider some security measurements.....protect that investment you have! maybe a couple of half starved lions patrolling the perimeter Seriously it can knock you out of commision if you arent prepared for it. Im getting so tired of seing others bust their arse off to get something like this started only to be knocked back down to ground zero again.
Old 11/12/2004, 10:48 AM
Registered Member

No offense taken Rocky. I totally agree with you.
As a side note........ I have given up on trying to make a business of this for now. I am looking into some new ventures and have already had some set backs. I wish Matt the best of luck cause starting anything from the ground up although extremely rewarding is not easy.
Matt that is sound advice from Rocky. I have seen "Clams" stolen from fish stores, right under the employees eyes. In a place where there is no one to stop them (Greenhouse/farm) the results can be devastating.

Gon
Old 11/12/2004, 05:36 PM
Registered Member

Yes I know about the security issues. I am having a alarm system put in in the next week or so.

The plugs I make, and are agrocrete (crushed coral, conc., aragonite and a pinch of red dye) I use egg cartons for now. But I am making a mold out of rtv silicone to make better ones soon.
Do you know what kind of epoxy or resin I can use instead? No curing that way.

I thought the tanks were bowed to. Which they are but it isn't water pressure. Some are bowed in and some out. So it had to be the shape of how they were stored. The bracing was mainly to support the water line.

OH! And I am having fun but I am working about as hard as I ever have with this

Old 11/19/2004, 01:03 AM
Registered Member

My friend... as soon as I get a day off of work!! Let me tell you The pictures look great, good job!

-Jc
Old 11/20/2004, 04:58 PM
Registered Member

Sweet system. Once it kicks into full gear, you are going to be one busy reefer!!! I like the dye in the plugs. Good idea. I guess what doesn't coralline up will still look that way........

I agree about the reply about security. Thieves have no honor......

About the eggcrate racks: Keep a close eye out for hair algae and flatworms. If they ever get started, it's nearly impossible to get them out of the little squares. Hopefully, you'll never have that problem.

I'll say it again: Sweet system! Keep the pics coming.
Old 11/22/2004, 12:06 AM
Registered Member

wow that thing is amazing!! are you specialzing in any special type of zoos or are you just getting some nice ones and growwin them like weeds? tell us when your ready to sell!!!