Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks

Old 12/29/2007, 12:02 AM
Premium Member

so you are essentially doing a 7g/day water change? I really like that dialyseas unit, makes a lot of sense, constantly refreshing the water instead of allowing it to degrade over time followed by a large water change.

their website states it's cheaper than manual water changes, has that been your experience? though with the price of the unit it would take some time to pay for itself, if ever. probably worth it anyway in labor costs and convenience, for sure

also, it appears it can replenish calcium?

Last edited by Elliott; 12/29/2007 at 12:08 AM.
Old 12/29/2007, 12:45 PM
Premium Member

I don't know if it's cheaper (your supposed to save on salt) because there was never a way for me to compare cost . Remember also that you have to buy a membrane every 3 to 4 months and thats about $58.00. I can only say that in my opinion, it's been well worth the money. I really like it and would buy it again. Be forwarned though, the manual you get with the unit (unless somethings changed) is complicated and the customer service is unprofessional which surprised me. I know some people have had some bad experiences, and you may be able to find them here on RC. It also takes a while to get your unit because they are made individually when you place the order.
Old 12/29/2007, 12:53 PM
Premium Member

I forgot about your question on calcium. On my unit there is a group of outlets that can be plugged into various devices. There is a calcium mixer (turns my kalkwasser stirrer on and off at interval) a calicium doser (could dose calcium chloride as in the balling meathod) and a salt mixer( keeps the salt in the brine tank mixed). You could plug anything you wanted into these outlets. They are all computer controlled. I am not familiar with the new dialyseas unit, but I assume it will have more options.
Old 12/29/2007, 01:32 PM
Registered Member

I love the tank. Don't anemones kill other corals? It looks great anyway. what kind of live stock do you have in there?
Old 12/29/2007, 02:50 PM
Premium Member

it sounds like a little bit of learning curve is involved, may try one on my next tank, thanks for the info
Old 12/29/2007, 03:17 PM
Premium Member

Anemones kill other corals if they touch them. Some do not seem affected when the anemone touches them like the purple gorgonian on the right, which has often had the tentacles all over it.
Old 12/29/2007, 05:52 PM
Premium Member

can you describe how you control your calcium and alkalinity, and the levels you maintain?
Old 12/29/2007, 06:45 PM
Premium Member

I have a schuran calcium reactor. I also have an aquamedic kalkwasser stirrer and all my top-off water runs through that. Between the two, it keeps my calcium around 400ppm and my alkalinity at 9dkh. I used to have to supplement with Randys 2 part every once in a while, but since I stopped using Instant Ocean salt (low in Ca and Mg) I no longer have to. Remember the dialyseas constantly changes the water, so a good quality salt with high Ca, Mg and alkalinity helps keep the levels up.
I use a high quality bitumous coal activated carbon 24/7 and Warner Marine phosar for phosphate control. The tank is mixed with lots of softies and anemones so this is a must. I just recently started using ozone and I have noticed the sps polyp extension has greatly increased since I did this. I think the ozone gets out the last of the organics that the carbon misses.
Old 12/29/2007, 07:19 PM
Premium Member

thank you for your answers. if you don't mind a few more questions:

so you really only use the dialyseas for refreshing the water?

what salt mix do you use? can you describe what is involved, I'm guessing you add salt to a mixer that is controlled by the dialyseas?

how much and how often to you change the carbon?

what is your average ORP?

many thanks again
Old 12/29/2007, 08:00 PM
Premium Member

The dialyseas has a salt bucket. You just pour the salt of your choise into it. I have a small powerhead inside that goes on every 5 minutes for 30seconds to keep it mixed. The dialyseas computer controls it. You don't have to use one but I find it's better mixed if you do. I use Red Sea Coral Pro salt.
Carbon is changed every month. I use one cup per/100gal. I also use carbon for the outflow from the ozone reactor (an old skimmer) changed every month also.
I don't let the orp climb past 390. Right now it's at 340 because my Ozotec poseidon died last week, and I'm using a very old Sanders unit until my new one (Sanders) arrives.
The dialyseas can monitor orp and pH but I did not purchase those options. I already had seperate controller/monitors for those. I have heard the new model dialyseas will have more bells and whistles you could ever wish for, including a windows based computer that tracks all your maintenence, feedings, and your entire livestock population.
Old 12/30/2007, 12:16 AM
Premium Member

I'm thinking of running my ozone through an old skimmer as well, have it connected to my barr 5220, but even though it's supposed to be ok I'd rather not risk it. my orp averages about 325 or so, I'm running everything off of an acII, use kalk for all my top off as you are doing along with a large 2 cyl ca reactor, ph seems to run on the high side 8.5-8.7 during the photoperiod, alk around 9-10, I'm using reef crystals.
I run carbon now and then, have read pro's and con's regarding how long to run it, I guess you don't feel it usefulness is short lived?
Old 12/30/2007, 11:25 AM
Premium Member

No, I think it continues to work for some time. I have no conclusive evidence to site, just my observations. I think you could find some in the chemistry forum though if you did a search. I have a diatom filter that I sometimes charge with powdered carbon and run it when I clean or do maintenence in the tank. It does an amazing job of polishing the water.
Old 12/30/2007, 06:30 PM
Premium Member

This is a pic of the schuran calcium reactor. I feed it into an old Koralin reactor that serves as a second stage. I had it lying around so I figured I might as well make use of it. From there it goes into the sump. However, first I have the effluent bubble up through a cup of GFO since calcium reactors have been shown to contribute significant phosphate.
Old 12/30/2007, 07:52 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reefkeeper2
This is a pic of the schuran calcium reactor. I feed it into an old Koralin reactor that serves as a second stage. I had it lying around so I figured I might as well make use of it. From there it goes into the sump. However, first I have the effluent bubble up through a cup of GFO since calcium reactors have been shown to contribute significant phosphate.
so you have two ca reactors connected in series? How do they add phosphate? Is there phosphate in coral skeletons?
Old 12/30/2007, 07:58 PM

The process of disolving calcium into solution generally precipitates phosphate. I run my effluent through a GFO reactor. And BTW, if you use media like Schuran or the Gen-X knock-off, soaking it in RO/DI water prior to using it will draw off quite a bit of PO4. What I do is soak it in a 5g bucket and test the water. Then I drain it and soak it again. When the test shows zero, I then put it in my reactor. This little tip came from Steve Weast on his last visit, and his point was, why burn the GFO when you can soak the PO4 out of the media? This allows the GFO to last a lot longer.
Old 12/30/2007, 08:10 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
The process of disolving calcium into solution generally precipitates phosphate.
I'm tyring to understand this, if the process precipitates phosphate, phosphate levels would go down, is phosphate a bi product from dissolving coral skeletons with CO2?
Old 12/30/2007, 08:14 PM

I may have not written that correctly. It is common knowledge that calcium reactors produce PO4 but maybe precipitate is not the correct word. As I stated, you can soak PO4 out of coral bones, so I am not sure that it is entirely dependent on CO2.
Old 12/30/2007, 08:19 PM
Premium Member

ahh, then there is probably phosphate in or on the coral skeleton, I'm surprised you can soak it out though, I'm wondering if it gets soaked out after it's been in the reactor for a while?
Old 12/30/2007, 09:02 PM

yes, and into your water column. That's the whole point of running the effluent through GFO (or some people use carbon).
Old 12/30/2007, 09:11 PM
Premium Member

but it's temporary, in other words it gets soaked out, so there is no reason to continue running the effluent through GFO, right?
Old 12/30/2007, 09:39 PM

I don't know that it is temporary. All the advanced reef keepers I know run their effluent through GFO. I don't understand the chemistry enough to give you an answer to that, but you might get one iin the reef chemistry forum.
Old 12/30/2007, 11:01 PM
Premium Member

The GFO will eventually get exhausted. I replace it every 6 to 8 weeks depending on PO4 levels or how the aquarium looks. If I see algae growing on the acrylic just two days after I have cleaned it, it's time to change the GFO.
Old 12/30/2007, 11:26 PM

Same here. I use an entire canister 1000g and swap it about every 6 - 8 weeks. But I change my carbon out much more often. I can post a pic of my multi-media reactor if you are interested.
Old 12/30/2007, 11:29 PM
Premium Member

wowwwwee
Old 12/31/2007, 12:25 AM
Registered Member

How long do you soak the media in RODI before using it?