Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture

Old 12/04/2007, 01:15 AM
Premium Member

Hey, Do You Know That Your Pictures Aren't Visible Anymore.
The System Sounds Good But I don't Know What It Looks Like.

Bill.
Old 12/04/2007, 09:13 AM
Premium Member

I think he might have deleted them out of his gallery
Old 12/04/2007, 12:17 PM
Premium Member

Someone needs a Photobucket account

Having a high post count doesn't necessarily show intelligence or knowledge, it simply shows you just talk a lot. - Me
Old 12/11/2007, 10:56 PM
Registered Member

you need to put the pics back up, i haven't ven seen them.
Old 12/12/2007, 02:19 PM
Nightime Tank Cleanin'

something's going on with my server... I'll get the pics back up asap...

sorry.
Old 12/12/2007, 04:10 PM
Premium Member

How's the tanks?

Good job man

Having a high post count doesn't necessarily show intelligence or knowledge, it simply shows you just talk a lot. - Me
Old 12/12/2007, 06:06 PM
Nightime Tank Cleanin'

Aight, got the server thing straightened out. The images should be back online in 24-48 hrs. It seems they changed their name servers and they emailed me the new nameservers.... only thing is the account they were emailing has been closed for several years now...

Anyways, yeah, the tanks. Everything has been going GREAT with them. Work has really had me tied up here lately so I've had much less time to spend with them than I would like. But with all the systems in place they are VERY little maintenance. The glasses could use a little cleaning but all inhabitants are happy and growing.

I finally found a vessel to use as my fuge. A friend had an old 55gal tank in his backyard (thanks hgreagan!! ). I drilled a bulkhead hole in the 55gal last night and started getting everything ready to add the final two 30gal tanks. I'll be drilling some more holes tonight in the final two 30gal breeders, then I'll be ready to roll!!

hgreagan,-->> Probably will be chopping up that sun coral this weekend too be sure to swing by and get a piece. They're growing NICELY!!!
Old 12/14/2007, 08:35 AM
Nightime Tank Cleanin'

Allright, pics are back up!~
Old 12/14/2007, 10:38 AM
Premium Member

Any updates?

Old 12/14/2007, 01:39 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rustybucket145
yup all those factors were taken into account during the design of the auto top off system. The fact is that EVERY float valve or float switch can and will fail at some point no matter if you pay $500 for it or $10 for it. The key is to know that failure will happen and to make sure it will not be the death of the system. Here.... I'll explain.

#1 My top off reservoir only holds 30gals of water when full. Enough to last me a week.

#2 30 gallons of freshwater dumped into 400gals will not drop the sg enough to instantly kill corals/fish..etc. If for some reason it happened at the beginning of the week, by the end of the week due to evaporation the sg would be back where it should be with no action at all from me.

#3 Worst case scenario 30 gallons of freshwater would be added to the system. My sump could easily hold this and b/c of the size of the hose feeding the top off valve it would take several hours for the reservoir to empty into the sump even if it were fully open. This will allow time for the sg to slowly decrease not giving a 'shock' to the inhabitants.

#4 If I know that $500 systems fail, and $10 systems fail... why would I spend $500 on a top off system???? It just didn't make sense to me. I built a system that I feel is stable and safe even in a complete failure. To be honest the top off valve I got at tractor supply company is much heavier duty than any I've ever seen in the aquarium industry. It is built to have a pressurized water hose attached to it.... I only have a gravity siphon ran to it.... very little pressure. It also has a replaceable rubber seal that is easy to access and maintain.

#5 I have to manually fill up my reservoir. I do it every weekend on Sun night. Turn it on before bed, turn it off Monday morning. Just habit and part of upkeep.

I'd be very interested if anybody sees any holes in this system. I'm always open to ideas or suggestions.
No...the idea is to not use any valve or float switch....peristalic pump my friend.
Old 12/14/2007, 01:42 PM
Registered Member

I wasn't in here touting anything BTW...just trying to inform you that Murphy's law WILL bite you and you will wish you didnt use a mechanical/gravity/float valve/switch type auto top off.

And if you use Kalk in your water which is generally what most people do topping off that much because of all its beneficial effects....try dumping 30 gallons of kalk water in there and see what happens.

This reminds me of the saying:

you know nothing until you know that you know nothing
Old 12/18/2007, 05:48 PM
Nightime Tank Cleanin'

I don't use kalk in top off water. Even if I did, I seriously doubt 30gals of kalk in 400+gals of water over the course of several hours would have any adverse side effects.

Quote:
No...the idea is to not use any valve or float switch....peristalic pump my friend.
Yeah,.... cause peristalic pumps NEVER fail..... The IDEA was to use no pumps, switches or anything else electrical that is prone to high cost failure.

Quote:
BTW...just trying to inform you that Murphy's law WILL bite you and you will wish you didnt use a mechanical/gravity/float valve/switch type auto top off.
Did you even read my post? I invite murphy's law to bite away at this top off system. Even in complete failure (ie, all top off water dumping in) my salinity is barely lowered at all, (I know, I tried it ) and it takes several hours for the water to dump in. My sump doesn't flood, the gates of heaven don't open and moses doesn't have to build an ark.

heheh... Moses didn't build the ark.... Noah did.

either way, why do you have such a problem accepting that something just works....?? Is it because I spent $10 on a well thought through solution and you spent $300 on your peon pump? (no offense to any who runs one, just not my choice) Don't feel bad, you know.... this reminds me of the saying:

you know nothing until you spend $300 on a perilistic pump and get jealous at some guy on reef central for coming up with a better solution for $10

Gol--Dern!! Happy Holidays Ya'll!!

All in good fun... right??
Old 12/19/2007, 09:40 AM
Premium Member

I don't remember and am too lazy to flip back a few pages, how was the top off setup anyway as I might want to use it for my system. I'm not using any pumps either, the cost of them failing is far too great compared to if you did it manually or had it on a gravity fed system.

Old 12/24/2007, 12:09 PM
Registered Member

Hey rustybucket145

Great looking multitiered system you got there.I love the simplicity of it,I will look forward to seeing some more updates.
Old 12/24/2007, 12:21 PM
Registered Member

rustybucket145

Maybe I missed it but if you're building it in your "sunroom", are you not getting enough light? Why get more lights? Does the sunlight during the day not provide enough?? I was thinking of building a small greenhouse just for the light requirements. Or save $'s
Old 12/28/2007, 12:37 PM
Registered Member

Like the build bucket thanks for sharin it with us. It's going to be a long time before I'll be able to sneak a setup like by the wife. What do you plan on stockin/fraggin? Can we get some individual FTS's and some growth shots later on?
Old 12/28/2007, 06:49 PM
Obsessed

i think we need some individual FTS =)
Old 12/30/2007, 03:55 PM
Nightime Tank Cleanin'

.... I'll see what I can swing on the FTS's Everything's looking really good!! I couldn't be happier. I had off 10 days for the holidays from work so I was able to devote a few of them to the system. I installed the last two 30gal breeders, plumbed them to the 55gal fuge, added sand to the fuge (about 6 inches +/-) and rubble to the breeders.

Mr..Tang-->> Although it is in my sunroom, the roof of the sunroom is tin, therefore no sun can enter through the top of the tanks. The Sunroom is windows floor to ceiling on three sides. The tanks take up an entire wall of windows. They get full morning sun, from a little after sunrise until about 10am. Then the rest of the day is indirect sunlight. So.... basically, I guess I do get some of the benefits of natural sunlight but I still have to add supplemental light.

I ran the wire under the house (12/3) this morning to feed the system. A very dirty Job.... I hate crawl spaces.... Until now the tanks have been running off a regular outlet and 1 circuit. Although it has yet to trip or overload, I know I'm toeing a very thin line. So with the new wire the tank will now have two dedicated circuits just for itself. I'll be wiring 'CentComm' tomorrow which will be my electrical control center for the system.

My mom, who lives in Atlanta has recently decided to get out of the saltwater hobby. I gave her a 55gal a few years back and it was doing VERY well, with GREAT coral growth and coloration. But, while I was home for christmas she decided that she wanted me to take all of her corals and fish back with me, she got a new greenhouse for christmas (for plants) and gardening always has truly been her favorite hobby. So after the holidays, I loaded everything up and brought it back with me. Included in the move was a 150watt Metal halide Pendant light and a 250watt Metal halide/T5 combo light. I'm not sure of the namebrands but they were not cheap fixtures (I got her the pendant for christmas a few years back).

So now for the two breeders I just added, I have installed the Halides I got from her.

So... as kinda an experiment I'll have a wide variety of lights and fixtures to test as time progresses.

1 breeder with 2 T5's
1 breeder with NO Flourescents
1 breeder with 1 150w MH
1 breeder with 1 250w MH and T5 Actinic
2 30 tall tanks with 1 175w MH
Fuge with 4 Power compact floodlights
90gal display with 2 175w MH's and 2 VHO actinics for supplementation

I'm gonna be the power companies star customer!!

I'll post some new pics very soon!!!