Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/05/2007, 09:30 AM
My reef is my fix :-D

Quote:
Originally posted by chase33
I'm interested in purchasing Lyretails. Are they aggressive toward inverts (shrimps in particular) and how often should they be fed?
They are reef and shrimp safe (though I suppose a REALLY large male could conceivably eat a TINY shrimp). They should be fed a least twice a day at first. As time goes on, you can adjust the feedings to more or less depending on the fish's needs.

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 07/05/2007, 02:04 PM
Registered Member

Here is my Pseudanthias Truncatus. The photo does not do this fish justice. The scales seem to be prizmatic and as the fish swims and the light changes, the body colors go from purple/pink to orange (This photo was taken with a flash). I have seen this Anthias sold as: Pink Anthias, Purple Anthias and Trunacated Anthias.
Old 07/05/2007, 02:12 PM
Registered Member

Another photo attempt. Trying to get the photo to open with the posting.

Last edited by 38bill; 07/05/2007 at 02:30 PM.
Old 07/05/2007, 02:43 PM

Nice anthias! I've seen these for sale lately, but they've always been very pale and rather unattractive at the stores.

Old 07/05/2007, 03:13 PM
Registered Member

Peter thats a problem with LFS, i think that since their water quality cant be perfect like a home tanks can achieve the fish are going to look more pale, also remember most of the food they are going to feed is just going to be bring or pellets so the true colors of the fish wont come out, my ignitus looked pale pink until i brought them home where they really colored up and looked their best
Old 07/05/2007, 03:33 PM
Registered Member

Heres another photo taken without the flash. Its blurry but it gives a little better idea how the color changes with the light. They seem to need light, sort of like a Green Chromis does, to reflect their colors. If they are not in light the colors will not show well.
Old 07/05/2007, 04:04 PM
Registered Member

Thanks SDGuy
Old 07/12/2007, 09:49 AM
Registered Member

wow awesome thread. im taggin
Old 07/12/2007, 10:16 AM

My ignitus, with the camera flash on:

Old 07/12/2007, 12:57 PM
Premium Member

Pseudanthias flavicauda

Sorry for the poor quality pics!
Male

female getting reading to pummel a male dispar

Carl
Old 07/12/2007, 01:02 PM

Sweet fish Carl, I had an awesome male Pseudanthias flavicauda, however in less than a week it jumped. The ones I've seen have all been eating immediately and in good shape, (although I have heard the opposite from East Coast vendors). In Tonga, the collectors refer to them as "Pigs". So far, they've lived up to their name as they will eat anything you throw at them. Just keep the tank covered!
Old 07/12/2007, 01:09 PM
Premium Member

I'm pretty satisfied with them so far. The dispars bother them a bit but over all they are pretty calm. They seem to prefer more meaty items. They really seem to like bigger sized mysis over other things.

I don't think many came in. I am searching high and low for extra females with no luck.

Carl
Old 07/12/2007, 01:40 PM

Nice! Really distinct head structure on those guys.

Old 07/15/2007, 09:34 AM
Registered Member

well guys these are prolly the best anthias i have bought, but they were marked as flavicauda anthias but im not sure, the male looks to be almost a supermale, and the other two i have are female, as soon as i put them in the tank they came out, they are already eating large mysis and late last night they were actually eating parts of krill...here are the pics

Old 07/15/2007, 10:17 AM

Gorgeous! They sound like pretty hardy anthias, so far. And I think a much better choice than the pictilis or tuka you were considering...

Old 07/15/2007, 10:23 AM
Registered Member

yes much better lol, do they look to be flavicauda, i think that the male looks more like a parvirostris?
Old 07/15/2007, 10:27 AM
Premium Member

great pictures

Pseudanthias fasciatus--not eating

I purchased a fasciatus last Saturday-----he was eating flake food at the LFS
He is not being bothered by anyone else in the tank and still looks very good but I can't notice him eating:
I have tried frozen mysis, frozen brine, soaked in garlic guard, not soaked in garlic guard, frozen krill, flake food.
He spends alot of time behind the reef--could he prefer to eat there
I have another small anthias--he chows down anything you put in there plus comes out and eats with the others.
Old 07/15/2007, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mattyice
yes much better lol, do they look to be flavicauda, i think that the male looks more like a parvirostris?
Na, parvirostris has a head shape like lori or similar, nothing like yours. Colors are all wrong too. Check it out on fishbase.org

Old 07/15/2007, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capn_hylinur
great pictures

Pseudanthias fasciatus--not eating

I purchased a fasciatus last Saturday-----he was eating flake food at the LFS
He is not being bothered by anyone else in the tank and still looks very good but I can't notice him eating:
I have tried frozen mysis, frozen brine, soaked in garlic guard, not soaked in garlic guard, frozen krill, flake food.
He spends alot of time behind the reef--could he prefer to eat there
I have another small anthias--he chows down anything you put in there plus comes out and eats with the others.
He's probably just shy if a single individual. Try spot feeding him behind the reef structure with some airline tubing used like a straw.

Old 07/15/2007, 11:04 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for the quick reply

Spot feed him what--mysis or flake?
Old 07/15/2007, 11:06 AM
Registered Member

i would try mysis, of cyclopeeze if you have that to get a response from him, if you use mysis try and soak them in garlic and a vitamin
Old 07/15/2007, 12:24 PM
Premium Member

Matt

It is not parvirostris. I don't see a any sign of the upper lip extension and parvirostris does not have a strong colored yellow stripe on the anal fin.

From the pics the male is about the same size of the female, correct?

It looks like a young male not fully through the sex change.

Do you know the collection locale? Figi is the type locale but it has also been recorded from Tonga. The recent import is from Tonga.

Carl
Old 07/15/2007, 01:48 PM
Registered Member

im not too sure on where they were collected from i do know for a fact though that i did buy them at salty critter lol
Old 07/16/2007, 10:55 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mattyice
i would try mysis, of cyclopeeze if you have that to get a response from him, if you use mysis try and soak them in garlic and a vitamin
i promise--I'll stop hijacking this thread-----but by cyclopeeze do we mean the frozen stick in the red package.
If this is the case i feed every other day with this in my tank--could explain what the anthias is eating
Old 07/16/2007, 10:40 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Project Reef
Sweet fish Carl, I had an awesome male Pseudanthias flavicauda, however in less than a week it jumped. The ones I've seen have all been eating immediately and in good shape, (although I have heard the opposite from East Coast vendors). In Tonga, the collectors refer to them as "Pigs". So far, they've lived up to their name as they will eat anything you throw at them. Just keep the tank covered!
Do I need egg crate over my tank with antias. I thought it was just wrasse.