Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/16/2006, 06:10 PM
Premium Member

different species will work. If there is 1 male and a few females of same or different species, the male should intensify, but not always.
Old 08/16/2006, 07:59 PM
Premium Member

MarvinsReef: Where did you buy before? You can go to any of the 3 Fishdoctors and order anything. Flame, rhomboid, red margine, pylie, lineatus, Scott's, red Sea eightline (not a fairy, but a really cool flasher wrasse), etc. The rhomboid and Pylie might take some time, but the others shouldn't be a problem.
Old 08/16/2006, 09:48 PM
Premium Member

LargeAngels is right. Unless you are after rarity, the primary online vendors can help you with almost anything. I am lucky enough to have a LFS that occasionally gets the rare ones. And Brian Greene, if he ever returns, can provide some really rare ones. (I know, I have some of them). But I get most of my fish from LA.

~Steve~
Old 08/17/2006, 08:46 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by LargeAngels
MarvinsReef: Where did you buy before? You can go to any of the 3 Fishdoctors and order anything. Flame, rhomboid, red margine, pylie, lineatus, Scott's, red Sea eightline (not a fairy, but a really cool flasher wrasse), etc. The rhomboid and Pylie might take some time, but the others shouldn't be a problem.
I special ordered my HI Flames and Lineatus before from a near by LFS but had to pay very dearly for them.. the Rhomboid on the other hand was a really nice hook up from another LFS...

anyway, hope to find these guys again at decent prices...

the Rhomboid for sure I'm getting sometime next month..

thanks all.... I really wanted to order HI Flame wrasses from Brian but he hasn't return my multiple e-mails.. I'll have to find another source..

Marvin
Old 08/17/2006, 08:53 AM
Premium Member

Marvin,

You can always call the Ypsi, Canton or Trenton FishDoctor's and they can get almost anything. All the ones I listed I have gotten from them. There is someone else on this thread who collects and sells HI fish who you can contact (top of this page.)
Old 08/17/2006, 10:44 AM
Premium Member

what are these Fishdoctors? Are they specific to Michigan area or online as well?

My male mccoskers is doing much better today. Hes out and about looking for food and haning with the small female (1 female is bigger then the male, so it will be interesting to see if she decides to change or stay big )
Old 08/17/2006, 10:45 AM
Premium Member

Largeangels,

how are the lineatus doing? Did the male color up at all? He wasn't that bright in my tanks, but it might be because i didn't have any lights except for the garage itself
Old 08/17/2006, 12:17 PM
Premium Member

zemuron114: The lineatus are doing great!! The male has colored up and is eating everything, including veggie flakes. The FishDoctors are local to Michigan. Really good LFS. I was actually just there and picked up another lineatus that was ordered for someone that backed out.
Old 08/17/2006, 02:55 PM
Premium Member

was it a "supermale"? (aka pink tail?)
Im glad they are doing well.
Old 08/17/2006, 05:47 PM
Premium Member

Yes, a very red tail. I wasn't looking for one, but I couldn't pass up the chance.
Old 08/17/2006, 06:56 PM
Premium Member

how much? (if you dont mind me asking..) I havn't seen them for less then 250$ for a while. I get a mix of red tail and blue tail ones whenever i get big males. They can look exactly the same except the tails which i find interesting! I love my 2, although they are very small (female is 1" and sub male is 2") the male is changing nicely though, so im debating if i should add another big one in december... decisions

how are the previous 2 handling the new one? are the males getting along?
Old 08/17/2006, 11:34 PM
Registered Member

Liveaquaria has been getting nice Fairy wrasses and they are selling like hotcakes. Saw a Lineatus and a Scotts in the morning and it was gone in the afternoon. Check out this hooded wrasse, kinda expensive Cost more than the Rhomboid they have listed!
http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden...9769&siteid=20
Old 08/18/2006, 02:20 AM
Registered Member

Their prices for the divers den are getting outright rediculous, I mean my LFS sells the exact same fish for 50 bucks and they are trying to sell it for 500???
Old 08/18/2006, 02:55 AM
Premium Member

thants INSANE.. first of all, they can't tell what it is???? it isn't very hard and they are suppose to be "top notch" in the fish retail industry... 2nd, 500 is incredibly ridiculous. Pairs shouldn't be more then 500$... they are definitely taking advantage.

PS: if your LFS sells them for 50$ they are a GREAT LFS.. buy from them more often then sell them again for more money... lol
Old 08/18/2006, 05:26 AM
Premium Member

The fairy wrasse that Liveaquaria is selling is not Hooded but a new species from Tonga and Fiji that seems so close to C. bathyphilus (from Australia, Chesterfield Bank and Vanuatu areas). Note the prolonged first dorsal spine in the specimen that cannot be seen in bathyphilus.
Old 08/18/2006, 07:52 AM
Premium Member

zemuron114: I have not put it in with the rest. He was just shipped from the wholesaler on Tuesday and I'm letting him rest up and get some strength back. I measured him in the bag and he is 4.75" (12 cm) head to end of tail.

H.Tanaka: Is this the new species you referred to before?
Old 08/18/2006, 08:15 AM
Registered Member

I see LA changed their description.I hope they put Dr. Tanaka on retainer for his invaluable information.
Old 08/18/2006, 08:43 AM
Premium Member

Thanks.

Yes, it should be an undescribed species and some specimens are under study by us to name.
Old 08/18/2006, 08:58 AM
RC Sponsor

Good Morning,
We were fortunate enough to acquire the new Cirrhilabrus spp. wrasse that Dr. Tanaka has described from Tonga/Fiji. As he has stated this is a new species that has yet to be identified, hence the spp. behind the genus of the fish. This incredible wrasse was very expensive for us to acquire, and is much more expensive than the standard C. bathyphilus. Our pricing reflects the rarity of the species, the quality and care that we put into our livestock, as well as knowing that if any of our customers have problems we will stand behind everything we sell with our Arrive Alive,
Stay Alive™, Risk-Free Guarantee. We take pride here at Drs. Foster & Smith's LiveAquaria.com in obtaining some very unique species, as well as offering some of the healthiest livestock available anywhere. We purchased this fish from one of our suppliers as a Hooded Wrasse. If you have any other comments or questions about any of the fish we offer on LiveAquaria.com please feel free to contact me directly at kkohen@liveaquaria.com.

Happy Reefing!
Kevin Kohen
Director of LiveAquaria
Drs. Foster & Smith
Old 08/18/2006, 09:15 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DFS
Good Morning,
We were fortunate enough to acquire the new Cirrhilabrus spp.
Happy Reefing!
Kevin Kohen
Director of LiveAquaria
Drs. Foster & Smith
Thanks for the clarification Kevin, its a beautiful fish!
Old 08/18/2006, 11:26 AM
Premium Member

LargeAngels, Let me know when you do, because im interested to see what your male does. I want to add a big male as well but dont want to disrupt my current pair (even though they are small).
Your male is much bigger then mine, so i would assume he would have more of a problem with a dominant male. Although he was housed with other big male lineatus's before he was sent out to you.
keep me posted
Old 08/18/2006, 03:12 PM
Premium Member

The new identified species at LA, is so similar to C. bathyphilus, I am afraid to purchase it. I doubt that my pair of C. bathyphilus would allow introduction into the tank due to similarity. This pair, by the way, has been changing colors and has been mating (I think nightly).

~Steve~
Old 08/18/2006, 04:19 PM
Premium Member

Here is a shot of my new Lubbock's Fairy Wrasse that just got moved over to my Display tank:

For the price I love the Lubbock's fairy wrasse. I personally think it is one of the more beautiful fairy wrasses.
Old 08/18/2006, 08:35 PM
Premium Member

So out of curiosity, what is your favorite fairy/flasher wrasse? My favorite fairy is C. rubrisquamis. My favorite flasher is P. mccoskeri.

~Steve~
Old 08/18/2006, 09:41 PM
Premium Member

mike89t,

Yours is a very nice fish and many people overlook the loveliness of C. lubbocki so often; many tend to look for more gorgeous, rare and expensive fishes.