Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes

Old 02/06/2006, 06:33 PM
Registered Member

Ooooooh thats the fairy I want, very nice. Do you think a pair of them (for the last fish in the tank) or one male 2 females would be suitable. So my 40 gallon would have a false perc and 2-3 pink margins? Or would you suggest a smaller species of fairy wrasse for this?
Old 02/06/2006, 06:53 PM
Registered Member

I hope this hasn't already been answered, but I didn't find an answer earlier in this thread...

What/where is the best way to buy female wrasses? I'm interested in adding a harem to my 75g but can't find anyone that sell females of any species.
Old 02/06/2006, 07:26 PM
Registered Member

Lukefox,
great looking fish!!
Old 02/06/2006, 07:47 PM
Premium Member

dlauver,

you have to ask around.. Not many people collect females because there isn't a high markup for them. I get female flame wrasses all the time because i find them to very pretty by themselves However a pair or a harem are remarkable. Ask your LFS if they can get females as well, and try contacting brian greene. Bronco and many other people have had great success with him.
Old 02/06/2006, 08:13 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the info zemuron114. I've already contacted a few LFS's with no luck. I'll keep looking though.

By the way, how do I contact Brian Greene?
Old 02/06/2006, 08:45 PM
Registered Member

Brian Greenes site is twilightaquatics.net.
Old 02/06/2006, 10:30 PM
SHAKE & BAKE!!

"All fairy wrasses are compatible with each other as long as you don't place a Supermale of a species with a Supermale from the same species"

That was stated in the very beginning of the other thread. Does this mean I can mix fairy wrasses with almost any other fairy or flasher wrasses I want as long as I don't buy 2 of the same species, or a lined wrasse? I know the six-line can cause problems.
Old 02/06/2006, 10:45 PM
Registered Member

Kimo,

Your picture looks like a blue side fairy wrasse to me. As far as compatibility goes, this fish is compatible with all other fairies. Basically you could take the name of ANY of the fairy wrasses that are available in the trade, throw it in a jar and then pick out one by one a different name and they would all be compatible. Where you have to be careful is when you are placing fairy wrasses together that have very similar body coloring and that are very close in size. This is where most of your arguments or fights will occur. Try to avoid putting the fish in a situation where he thinks a rival male is competeing for his place.
Old 02/06/2006, 10:55 PM
Registered Member

Yes,

Avoid sixline wrasses in a fairy wrasse community. They will attack your smaller fairy wrasses and they may also challenge the larger ones.

As far as fairy wrasses go here's one example of what you need to look out for

Examples to avoid:

Large male Lineatus in same tank with another Large male Lineatus.
OR
Large male Lineatus in same tank with a Large male Pink Margin....very similarly colored fish

(Please note this is JUST ONE EXAMPLE....I'm not pointing out the Lineatus in particular. I just use this example because its easy to relate to and both the lineatus and the pick margin are now very easy to obtain in the trade. But the same PRINCIPLE would apply in any other SIMILARLY COLORED species. Basically avoid male on male of same breed or male on male - (same size) - of similar colored breeds.)

Otherwise, mix and match as much as you like
Old 02/07/2006, 10:04 AM
Registered Member

Labouti

Here you can see the ich on him. Hope he makes it. Eats like a pig so that is at least a good sign.

Old 02/07/2006, 10:34 AM
Registered Member

Beautiful new addition Bronco7777!

After 6 months of searching i was able to find what i am hoping to be two Mccosker's Wrasse. I lost my first one to a killer Sixline wrasse that i was finally able to get rid of!

Please take a look and let me know what you think, wheter they are true Mccosker's or not, i really love them They are very small, both 2 inches. They are currently the only wrasses in the tank, do you see a problem with me adding a 3-4 inche Lineatus?

Thanks for your help,
Steven

Here are the pics....

Old 02/07/2006, 10:43 AM
Registered Member

Steven-
Those are beautiful!They certainly look like P.maccoskeri to me.
Old 02/07/2006, 12:38 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rothie
Steven-
Those are beautiful!They certainly look like P.maccoskeri to me.
Thanks Rothie, they started eating mysis soon after acclimating so hopefully i got two healthy specimens
Old 02/07/2006, 12:44 PM
Registered Member

I hope they continue to get along and become a mated pair.Although I see them often referred to a common,they are very hard to come by.
Old 02/07/2006, 12:52 PM
Registered Member

marcel,

There are a few ways to help out with a minor outbreak of ick once your fish is already in the reef tank.

First, try dipping all your foods in garlic. This is not a cure or a sure thing but it does help a bit.
Secondly do a few extra water changes in your system. Even if you feel your water already looks okay
Third if possible, add a UV for a few days. Yes coral fans, I'm aware of the drawbacks on this but I'm only proposing this use temporarily.

Finally, I'll make one last suggestion that is not a big hit with many hobbyists.
That is, get yourself a cleaner wrasse. Not the ones from hawaii with the purple and yellow. Just your standard cleaner wrasse and the younger it is, the better. Fairy wrasses are such active fish that they will never sit arond for a cleaner shrimp to work them over. However a cleaner wrasse is accepted by fairy wrasses because the cleaner will swim WITH them. If you are truly serious about putting together an all - fairy wrasse tank. I think these guys are indespensible. Because wrasses are such nervous fish, small flare ups of ick are not uncommon. Even in a totally quarantined reef system. Having a cleaner wrasse in an all fairy tank helps keep ick in check and provides the cleaner with some source of regular parasite food. I think the trick is to get the cleaner as young as possible. This way its meatbolism can grow into accepting and sustaining itself on a diet that is mostly consistant of frozen mysis and cyclopeeze but at the same time it can still nip away occassionally at small ick flare ups that can occur with wrasses. I'm not saying this as a blanket statement for all cleaner wrasse situations. But in the past 5 years that is the experience I've had with cleaners and I've been able to keep them alive. Currently I have one cleaner that is about to turn 3 years old with me. The one I had previous lasted 2 1/2 years and the only reason he died was due to a temperature accident when a heater I had in the tank broke. (PLEASE NOTE THAT IN ALL THE SITUATIONS I HAD SUCCESS WITH CELANERS IN MY TANK IT WAS DUE TO THE FACT THAT I HAD THEM IN A TANK WITH MANY WRASSES...NOT JUST A COUPLE)

I don't like encouraging the purchase of cleaner wrasses. Specially for typical fish tanks that have several different species of fish. But for an all-fairy wrasse tank I have found them to be usefull and long-lived becuase they get many of the requirements they may lack in other tank setups.
Quite honestly I detest the fact that big pet chains like Petco continually bring these cleaners in for sale. A great majority of those sold go to situations were they willl likely die. But the reality is that Petco will not stop bringing them in.....just like they won't stop bringing in Mandarins and placing them in non-LR/LS tanks. So I try and rescue these when I can because I feel they will have a chance in a all-wrasse tank.
Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox and say that a cleaner could be a great protection to the large investments you make in pricey fairy wrasses.
Old 02/07/2006, 12:53 PM
Registered Member

heurefan,

I think those fish are McCoskers from what I can tell in the pictures. A Lineatus will not be a problem for these guys.
Old 02/07/2006, 02:33 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bronco7777
heurefan,

I think those fish are McCoskers from what I can tell in the pictures. A Lineatus will not be a problem for these guys.
Okay thanks Bronco7777, i'll give these guys some time to settle in before i get a lineatus.

Not sure if you posted this before, but can we get a full tank shot of your wrasse collection?
Old 02/07/2006, 02:45 PM
Registered Member

Bronco, thanks for the great advice. I am already soaking the food in garlic and got my uv going. I am with you on the cleaner wrasse and will give it a shot. I will let you know how it goes.
Old 02/07/2006, 02:47 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bronco7777
marcel,

Finally, I'll make one last suggestion that is not a big hit with many hobbyists.
That is, get yourself a cleaner wrasse. Not the ones from hawaii with the purple and yellow. Just your standard cleaner wrasse and the younger it is, the better. Fairy wrasses are such active fish that they will never sit arond for a cleaner shrimp to work them over. However a cleaner wrasse is accepted by fairy wrasses because the cleaner will swim WITH them. If you are truly serious about putting together an all - fairy wrasse tank. I think these guys are indespensible. Because wrasses are such nervous fish, small flare ups of ick are not uncommon. Even in a totally quarantined reef system. Having a cleaner wrasse in an all fairy tank helps keep ick in check and provides the cleaner with some source of regular parasite food. I think the trick is to get the cleaner as young as possible. This way its meatbolism can grow into accepting and sustaining itself on a diet that is mostly consistant of frozen mysis and cyclopeeze but at the same time it can still nip away occassionally at small ick flare ups that can occur with wrasses. I'm not saying this as a blanket statement for all cleaner wrasse situations. But in the past 5 years that is the experience I've had with cleaners and I've been able to keep them alive. Currently I have one cleaner that is about to turn 3 years old with me. The one I had previous lasted 2 1/2 years and the only reason he died was due to a temperature accident when a heater I had in the tank broke. (PLEASE NOTE THAT IN ALL THE SITUATIONS I HAD SUCCESS WITH CELANERS IN MY TANK IT WAS DUE TO THE FACT THAT I HAD THEM IN A TANK WITH MANY WRASSES...NOT JUST A COUPLE)

I don't like encouraging the purchase of cleaner wrasses. Specially for typical fish tanks that have several different species of fish. But for an all-fairy wrasse tank I have found them to be usefull and long-lived becuase they get many of the requirements they may lack in other tank setups.
Quite honestly I detest the fact that big pet chains like Petco continually bring these cleaners in for sale. A great majority of those sold go to situations were they willl likely die. But the reality is that Petco will not stop bringing them in.....just like they won't stop bringing in Mandarins and placing them in non-LR/LS tanks. So I try and rescue these when I can because I feel they will have a chance in a all-wrasse tank.
Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox and say that a cleaner could be a great protection to the large investments you make in pricey fairy wrasses.
Hey Bronco,

Are you referring to a common cleaner wrasse - Labroides dimidiatus? Thanks for the info on Ich. Fighting my first case right now.
Old 02/07/2006, 05:38 PM
Premium Member

One of my Fairy Wrassee that is in quarantine for Ich has lost his buoyance. I am treating with copper only. Anything I can do to help him correct this, or do I just wait it out? He is eating well, just cant keep his head down and level for long periods of time. Lays on the bottom when resting no problem. Just cant keep his balance.

Any suggestions?
Old 02/07/2006, 09:42 PM
Premium Member

heuerfan,

those are very nice! Where did you get them, online or LFS? Those are def on my want list
Old 02/07/2006, 09:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zemuron114
heuerfan,

those are very nice! Where did you get them, online or LFS? Those are def on my want list
Hey Zemuron, thanks! I lucked out, got it at a LFS. I've been looking everywhere for one for 6 months, online, stores, etc..

My mouth dropped when i saw them, i was hoping there was a third!

Good luck and happy hunting
-Steven
Old 02/08/2006, 08:08 PM
Reefing is fun again

Need some help guys... I'm trying to decide on either a rhomboid pair or a smaller (3") male C. pylei and male C. bathyphylus (hooded wrasse). What would you do?
Old 02/08/2006, 08:20 PM
Registered Member

I'd go for these 2 C. pylei and male C. bathyphylus
Old 02/08/2006, 10:13 PM
Registered Member

I'd go for a male C. pylei and male C. bathyphylus most definently.