Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/08/2008, 11:47 PM
Registered Member

Sorry to hear that. Must be frustrating and discouraging. Seems strange that the fish would die after eating well and apparently adapting. Regals are delicate and it just seems that everything has to be perfect from the point of collection to the time they reach the hobbyist. Any snafus along the way seem to doom these fish. The ironic thing is that once they have adapted and settled in they are as hardy as any fish.
Old 01/09/2008, 05:21 PM
Registered Member

One thing with finicky fish is having them around other fish to let them see them eat. Almost like a monkey see monkey do situation. This can be a two edged sword as aggressive eaters may hinder them from eating, but this is to be determined by the owner whom knows the tendencies of his other fish.

I prefer to not QT delicate fish as QT can in some cases stress them out more than really necessary and the risk outweighs the benefits, but this is just my perspective and it differs greatly with many others in this thread so take what you want from it.

I really do however believe if he sees other fish taking prepared foods with gusto it will really help. As said it may never learn to eat from the water column prepared foods, but being around others that do may illicit that particular feeding response.

I personally believe its time to pull him from QT and give it a shot before he starves to death in QT.
Old 01/09/2008, 05:25 PM
Registered Member

Two other notes.....

Do you have sponge laden live rock? I would pull some from the rockwork and check the undersides in areas where there was no light. I am willing to be their may be some sponge in your tank he can eat if your tank is a well matured tank.

Other note....Nix the garlic if he isn't taking it already.