Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/07/2005, 03:38 PM
Registered Member

Question Fish size compatablities

I currently have two clowns and a kole tang in my 75 gal reef tank. The tang is small, maybe 1 3/4" long. just a hair smaller that my clowns. I am looking at a powder brown tang at my lfs and am not sure if I should get him because he is much larger than the other tang. He is about 3 1/2" long maybe. Is this o.k. of should I try to keep the fish about the same size?
Old 10/07/2005, 03:54 PM
Registered Member

Too many tangs for a 75 gallon. I'd think everyone one on here would agree (The Tang Police haha) they'd probably say the kole was too big. But anyways to answer your question, I'd look for a smaller one, otherwise the powder brown would easily become the bully.
Old 10/07/2005, 08:57 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the info. If anyone else has anything else to add let me know. Thanks.
Old 10/08/2005, 08:24 AM
Registered Member

I'll agree with Matt on this one...I actually think the Kole will be OK in the 75, as long as it's by itself. I definitely would not add another tang, the most likely result is that you would eventually lose them both.
I know tangs are great, and everyone seems to want several, but your tank simply isn't ideal. Why not get some interesting smaller fish...maybe a dwarf angel? I'd be happy to give you some great choices (IME) for reef fish that would go nicely in your 75 if you'd like.

James
Old 10/08/2005, 04:34 PM
Registered Member

If I where you and you have some extra money(I know it says your a student) I would get a better protein skimmer then a Seaclone which is nothing better then a good way to aerate your water.