Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/15/2003, 10:06 PM
Registered Member

Louis,

I had thought of that possibility as well, but have not seen the agression that I have experinced previously with male wrasses of different species. The two are generally together accept at night when there is a little chasing, but no agressive contact. They sleep in different places. There has been some flashing by the male, but mostly in agression to a large female Gold Bar Maroon Clown and I was surprised to see that he would take her on. The clown has since been removed (I've actually been trying to remover her for quite some time) and the flashing has decreased dramaticly. The few people I have talked to say that the males and females of C. lineatus are quite similar. The female definately has less intense background coloration in the body, but the fin coloration is rather similar. The tail fin of the female is mostly yellow/orange while the males is red. Anyhow, I'm not really sure if this is the coloration of a female or of a subordinate male, but they do seem to get along pretty well together. I have "Fairy & Rainbow Wrasses and Their Relatives" coming this week so hopefully there will be some useful information in there.

-Steve

Quote:
Originally posted by Louis Z
nice picture Steve thanks for posting. I would have thought that they were both males due to the coloration yet I have no experience and no other info describing what a female looked like. Does he flash to the female often? Do they stay together? As for gobies I have the Randalls goby in a 20g w/o pistol. Yet in a 29g I have a lone Randalls goby with pistol. I have no way to post a picture so I alone can enjoy them.
Old 01/17/2003, 10:47 AM
yes it's my aquarium

My pair of Amphiprion polymnus. Anybody maintaining a pair of Butterflyfish?
Old 01/17/2003, 11:46 PM
Registered Member

Gary,

That picture always astounds me!

-Steve
Old 01/18/2003, 12:11 PM
10 & Over Club

Quote:
Anybody maintaining a pair of Butterflyfish?
Sure Gary

Here's the male reef

female

Old 01/18/2003, 12:56 PM
yes it's my aquarium

Thanks for taking the time to post that, Bomber. Great looking pair of Butterflyfish. I logged seeing one or two of these when snorkling. Chaetodon sedentarius appears to be a good candidate for Aiptasia removal. Did you find this to be true? Any spawning indications ever made by these two fish?
Old 01/18/2003, 02:40 PM
10 & Over Club

You know something, they do eat aips along with all the other usual b'fly stuff.

These two haven't made any indication of spawning, there's actually a group of them now (I keep adding more, they're easy). I believe Forrest and Moe spawned them back in the 80's, if you're interested I can check with Forrest and see.

Here's a picture of the female and her best friend.

Jerel
Old 01/19/2003, 01:19 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by joetbs

What kind of fish are those? I'd guess but don't wanna look like an ***

Those were sold to me as Sharknose Gobies (Gobiosoma evelynae) but some websites call them Gobiosoma randalli. I don't know which website is correct.

http://www.livingreefimages.com/Page34.html

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/neongobies.htm
http://www.orafarm.com/otherspecies.html

Last edited by samw; 01/19/2003 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01/21/2003, 06:13 PM
Registered Member

Louis,

I just got "Fairy & Rainbow Wrasses and their relatives" by Rudie H. Kuiter and my pair seems to match up pretty well with the male and female photographed in the book. BTW, anyone interested in wrasses should really check this book out. There are some astounding photos in there.

-Steve

Quote:
nice picture Steve thanks for posting. I would have thought that they were both males due to the coloration yet I have no experience and no other info describing what a female looked like. Does he flash to the female often? Do they stay together?
Old 01/21/2003, 06:17 PM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

Here's my two A.Ocellaris clowns and their "anemone."

Nuclear winter solves global warming.
Old 01/23/2003, 04:09 AM
Registered Member

Another sharknose goby pose:

Old 01/23/2003, 10:50 PM
Premium Member

Old 01/24/2003, 01:19 AM
non reefer

Thanks Steve for the update. I ask one more favor from you. If they show spawning behavior after they settle in, could you post a brief synopsis of what goes on. Thanks again and I hope to add that book to my library this year.
Old 01/24/2003, 10:19 PM
Registered Member

Louis,

I think I caught a glimpse of the mating ritual last night. Unfortunately I was about 10 feet away from the tank and engaged in a conversation so I didn't get to see the initiation. What I did see was the male do a full circle (maybe a circle and a half) around the female with his fins fully extended. I couldn't tell if the females fins were extended because of the angle she was at in relation to where I was standing. The female then kind of did a smaller circle with the male and the broke apart. I did not see any of the vertical movement that I have heard Fairy wrasses do during mating, which I guess is a good thing since my tank is only 2' deep. I think this all happened about an hour or so before the lights were to go off. Anyhow, was rather interesting and I hope to be able to observe this again when I am in closer proximity to the tank.

-Steve

Quote:
Thanks Steve for the update. I ask one more favor from you. If they show spawning behavior after they settle in, could you post a brief synopsis of what goes on. Thanks again and I hope to add that book to my library this year.
Old 01/27/2003, 09:56 AM
Registered Member

Does anybody have a picture of a harem, such as royal grammas?
Old 01/27/2003, 02:58 PM
Premium Member

I added a second hawkfish just yesterday:

Old 01/27/2003, 04:47 PM
unknown reefer

Wow! That is awesome simonh! How long was your first hawk in for? I'd love to have a pair like that! Unfortunately, I already have a Flame, and Checkerboard (Longnose). And those two squable a teeny bit, but nothing much.

FWIW, my Sleepers are so far doing good. One started taking food offerings a week or two ago. I think if the other one starts eating offerings, and nothing catastrophic ocurrs, they'll be all set.
Old 01/27/2003, 04:55 PM

Simon, that is awesome. I was thinking about buying a pair of Hawk's, but after my first one jumped, I'm rethinking it. Very cool though.
Old 01/27/2003, 05:44 PM
Premium Member

I've had my eldest hawkfish for over 4 years (although it moved tank to a bigger home last summer). After reading Henry's article in ReefKeeping on hawkfish and reading a few more fish books I decided to give it a go on pairing up. I do have quite a few fairly large heads of Acropora (12" or so) and they both seem to take well to hanging out in those without feeling threatened by anyone in the tank. I haven't seen any fighting between them since adding the other yesterday.

I also have pairs of the following fish - common clowns, neon cleaner gobies (spawning), spotted mandarin (spawning I beleive) and also groups of - green chromis (spawning) and anthias. Unfortunatley, I need to get some better pictures of those that I can post.
Old 03/19/2003, 01:02 AM
unknown reefer

samw, there are at least three kinds of "Neon Yellow Goby", I'm not sure if ours are the same, and/or what species either are.

I just got these two from a group of three I purchased several days ago.
Old 04/04/2003, 10:36 AM
Premium Member

OK, not the greatest pic, but here it is my pair of angels.
Old 04/04/2003, 12:00 PM
yes it's my aquarium

Cool pic. Either those Angels are very small, or that leather coral is HUMONGOUS!
Old 04/04/2003, 12:02 PM
Premium Member

The leather is HUMONGOUS!

I need to frag it again but all my friends already have a piece and the LFS does not give me a good enough return to make it worth my while.
Old 04/04/2003, 07:20 PM
Premium Member

My firefish, one rescued from powerhead today (see other thread)
I'm still figureing out how to work this digicam.
Old 04/04/2003, 09:06 PM
Premium Member

I love the purple frownie faces that purple firefish have.

Very cute.
Old 04/04/2003, 09:47 PM
Premium Member

thanks mulberry, your flame angels are awesome. I'm debating whether to get one myself... How big a tank do you have for the pair?