Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/25/2007, 08:36 PM
My reef is my fix :-D

Quote:
Originally posted by zemuron114
SDguy, what are you experience with aggression (from either)?
A have a couple thoughts. First, with respect to simple "attention" from the male, in whatever form, IME, barletts are much worse. The male CONSTANTLY bothers, harasses, displays to, brushes against...you name it....the female(s). This has been the case for all the bartletts I have kept.

This is my first experience with lyretails. I had always heard they were aggressive. I'm not seeing it. I started with 3 females. One turned into a male. Not even a nipped fin among them the entire time I've had them. The male only occasionally chases/displays to the females. Maybe it's becuase they are from the Maldives? Not sure if region plays a part in aggressiveness, though I do know Maldive lyretails are less common.

Another thing I have noticed....anthias are VERY aggressive to other anthias that are even slightly sick/weak. The smallest of my lyretails never ate dry food. Consequently, she soon became weak/thin. The aggression started immediately. So I target fed her in her little corner, frozen food only. Soon she was back swimming with the others, with no aggression from them. I am a firm believer that many of these stories of males/females killing subordinate females is really a case of healthy killing weak/sick....little to do with social structure, per se. When I added a healthy, tiny, female lyretail from anothers tank to my trio...no aggression at all.

All JMO of course

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 07/03/2007, 07:27 AM

Well my male has become extremely aggressive to the larger female. She doesn't appear to look any more "male" than when I first bought her.

Old 07/03/2007, 01:16 PM
Registered Member

I bought four bartlett anthias one month ago for my 180g. Two have turned male and two have stayed female. They are the Marshall bartletts I received from Premium Aquatics. Are my chances good that the two females will stay female? I will try to get some pics later.
Old 07/03/2007, 01:38 PM

I'm not sure anyone can tell you your chances, but your input on this thread as time goes on will help others, I'm sure

Old 07/03/2007, 03:19 PM
King of the Apes

SDGuy: Sometime next week im going to be ordering 4 small (1") bartlett's to add to my existing 3 (supermale with 2 juveniles).

I have noticed increased aggression from 1 small juvenile. It has grown faster than the other juvenile it was added with. My supermale pays it a ALOT of attention. Sometimes it tries to beatup the smaller bartlett. When it does, the male rushes in, and whips.

edit: to add, my other male, who I gave to my LFS, has been in a huge (300gal+) tank with a large female. She was the only bartlett in that tank for a little bit, but never turned male. I will be watching to see what she does, too. She is very large (nearly the size of the male), but seems very passive. The male is always by her side.
Old 07/03/2007, 04:45 PM

Let us know how that goes, Kong. I had pretty bad experience with adding female bartletts to established female bartletts. They are friggin' mean!

Old 07/03/2007, 05:17 PM
King of the Apes

Well, not sure if i said this earlier, but I did have 2 males that I added these 2 juveniles to, and they integrated beautifully, so I will use the same technique (include the smallest bartletts i can!)
Old 07/03/2007, 06:04 PM

I just took a close long look at my bartletts. This sucks. The larger female has a very distinct yellow bar down her flank, and her entire forehead and most of her face is now pink. I just don't get it. Even with the males constant harassment, she is turning male. And now the male won't let her out of the rocks. Stupid sex changing anthias...

Old 07/03/2007, 07:58 PM
Premium Member

Peter you need to get rid of those bartletts and start working with dispar. I'm at the six month+ mark and still two male and two female.
Better yet just get a group of Lori's.

Carl
Old 07/03/2007, 08:34 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SDguy
I just took a close long look at my bartletts. This sucks. The larger female has a very distinct yellow bar down her flank, and her entire forehead and most of her face is now pink. I just don't get it. Even with the males constant harassment, she is turning male. And now the male won't let her out of the rocks. Stupid sex changing anthias...
I don't think this is just for the bartletts, I had 4 tukas, for 9months in a 45 with one male and 3 females, moved them to a larger tank ~300g a month ago now I have 2 males and 2 females, they are less aggressive than bartlets so I am hoping I don't lose one male....
Old 07/03/2007, 08:40 PM

But my tank is only 115g. BTW, congrats on keeping tukas alive. You are in a minority.

Old 07/03/2007, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CarlC
Peter you need to get rid of those bartletts and start working with dispar. I'm at the six month+ mark and still two male and two female.
Better yet just get a group of Lori's.

Carl
Oh, I've been quitely branching out ....

Old 07/03/2007, 08:49 PM
Premium Member

carberri's?

Carl
Old 07/03/2007, 09:07 PM

ignitus

Old 07/03/2007, 09:10 PM
Premium Member

Cool! How they doing? Are they eating?

Carl
Old 07/03/2007, 09:13 PM

Eating well...only frozen...no flake. And only small pieces...but they are getting better. One is pink, one is orange, so even though they are both quite large (3") I'm hoping they are not both males. Time will tell. They have been inseparable for weeks, so so far, so good.

Old 07/03/2007, 09:18 PM
Premium Member

If they follow any of the coloring traits of dispar you might have two males. The blue edging along the dorsal and extending onto the tail fin is what my male dispar have. It is absent on the females.

They look great!

Carl
Old 07/03/2007, 09:21 PM

Yeah, I'm not going to be surprised if they are both males. However, I'm hoping on their more docile nature as well as females of lyretails and bartletts to keep them in line. So far, since their introduction, all my anthias have been much more cohesive...except the large female bartlett of course

Old 07/03/2007, 09:48 PM
Premium Member

That is a nice benefit of this these two species. Males getting along makes life easier on everyone!

Carl
Old 07/04/2007, 12:21 AM
Who dat?

If I'm not mistaken the P. ignitus is considered the western version of P.dispar.
Old 07/04/2007, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by just dave
If I'm not mistaken the P. ignitus is considered the western version of P.dispar.
Yes...the Indian Ocean dispar. Pretty much explains why every ignitus I've ever seen sold was sold as a dispar, as were these. Couldn't beat the price..$20 each.

Old 07/04/2007, 08:46 AM

Another interesting observation. The ostracized female Bartlett sits where the new ignitus sleep. I looked at her last night, and not only does she have the whole male color thing going on now, but even the bright, and I mean bright red pelvic and anal fin highlights. Could it be she "adopted" the ignitus as her harem, promoting the change to male to accelerate? Ugh! These complexities are starting to give me a headache. When did we decide that anthias changing sex is cool??

Last edited by SDguy; 07/04/2007 at 09:01 AM.
Old 07/04/2007, 08:49 AM
Premium Member

I'm afraid that my last and only female has decided to join the pack and turn male. She has the stripe now and is coming out alot more. Now I have a pack of 5 males.
Old 07/04/2007, 08:50 AM
King of the Apes

uh oh
Old 07/04/2007, 09:00 AM

LOL...how these fish ever actually breed is beyond me!