Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/05/2007, 11:58 AM
Who wants to trade frags?

That is a great looking Pink Margin Wrasse! Good luck with him.
Old 03/06/2007, 01:30 AM
Registered Member

dhoch, where did you get that beauty from?
I have heard that supermales tend to not do as well as the regular males of the cirrhilabrus species. They dont ship as well, and dont last as long in captivity?

Tanaka or Bronco, want to tackle that statement?
Old 03/06/2007, 05:15 AM
Aggressive Reef Keeper

reeftanksupply.com is where I got him from.

yes I have heard the same, but he has done well so far...

Typically for my other fairy wrasses he:
1) Hid the first day
2) timid the 2nd day
3) Out by the 3rd day and eating some.
4) Pursuing food fairly aggressively the 4th day.

Dave
Old 03/06/2007, 10:09 AM
Registered Member

niners,

Yes Supermales tend to have a harder adjustment to captivity as opposed to juveniles. The key is extra loving care and paitence through the acclimation process. Good quite QT time. Lights out. Good variation of food ( Mysis, Krill, Plankton ) Then do the specimen cup acclimation slowly. But perhaps more importantly is good health assessment when purchasing the fish.
Old 03/06/2007, 03:53 PM
I'm smooth and creamy.

Here is my new Cirrhilabrus luteovittatus, please ignore the bubble algea in the background -- just pretend it isn't there - that is what I do.

Old 03/08/2007, 08:20 PM
Registered Member

Hey guys, need some advice. My male flame has been battling ich for the past couple of weeks. Only sympton is the spots and now i've noticed that he is not putting on any weight. His stomach area seems to becoming sunken.

What do you think is the problem and what can i do to help?

Thanks,
Steven
Old 03/08/2007, 11:35 PM
Registered Member

Heuerfan, the cause can be a number of things and difficult to pinpoint, but here's a few things to consider.
Stress - persistently being chased by other fish and not having enough rockwork to retreat into. Fluctuation in water parameters can also stress out a fish. Over crowding can also be an issue even if there isn't a "bully" in the tank.
New Inhabitants - New Fish, corals or even rocks can bring it into a system.
Poor skimming/no UV Sterilizer - both worth their weight in gold as far as keeping a healthy tank in my opinion. Good luck, I hope you get it under control. Get yourself a Cleaner wrasse if you dont' have one, but two important things to consider when buying one. First watch and make sure you pick one that's picking at other fish so you know he'll do his job. Next ask your LFS to feed mysis or brine and make sure he/she takes it, because they'll need supplemental diets besides picking at your fish. I hope this helps.

50 Gallon Barebottom and LR, asstd Zoo's, LPS etc. Fish: Fairies and Flashers, black Saddleback clown pair, true perk, pink bar goby, 5 blue/Green Chromis
Old 03/08/2007, 11:53 PM
Registered Member

I just wanted to share some pix with you guys. I think I've mentioned before that I'm not really a huge fan of the Pink Margin Wrasse (no offense to those of you who keep them), I just haven't seen any in person that justify paying the high cost, I've seen some that I liked in pics, just not in person. I THOUGHT that changed and bought what was labled as a Pink Margin Supermale. Turns out I was wrong altogether, it's not a Pink Margin, but a Rosy Scaled Fairy Wrasse. I love how the scales on his head and pelvic fin area are outlined with purple. Here's a few pix I've taken of the guy, but wow it's hard to get him to stay still to really capture how pretty this fish is. Enjoy.

50 Gallon Barebottom and LR, asstd Zoo's, LPS etc. Fish: Fairies and Flashers, black Saddleback clown pair, true perk, pink bar goby, 5 blue/Green Chromis
Old 03/14/2007, 08:05 AM
Registered Member

Scottkelly911

Great wrasse pictures. But I like your avatar even better. Where did you get that? Or did you photoshop it?
Old 03/14/2007, 04:04 PM
Premium Member

here is some new pics of a few of my fairy and flasher wrasses

Old 03/14/2007, 05:58 PM
Registered Member

Scotts Fairy Wrasse - Cook Island variant

Old 03/14/2007, 06:56 PM
Premium Member

nice scotts pitstop
Old 03/14/2007, 07:21 PM
Registered Member

Awesome pics scottkelly911. I also have a rose scale male. I've never been able to get any pics of him displaying like you did. Did you use the flash on those pics?? Mine gets really white on the back half when he displays. Whats the temperate like of yours is he a bully?
Old 03/14/2007, 07:34 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bronco7777
Scottkelly911

Great wrasse pictures. But I like your avatar even better. Where did you get that? Or did you photoshop it?
Thanks Bronco. I photochopped my avatar, thought it would remind me to put the seat down when I'm done

Old 03/14/2007, 07:34 PM
Premium Member

My Laboutie.

Old 03/14/2007, 07:41 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blface
Awesome pics scottkelly911. I also have a rose scale male. I've never been able to get any pics of him displaying like you did. Did you use the flash on those pics?? Mine gets really white on the back half when he displays. Whats the temperate like of yours is he a bully?
Thanks a lot for the kind words. He hardly ever displays. I must have taken 50 pictures to get those, no flash was used, just regular point and shoot. He only seems to display when he gets annoyed by my cleaner wrasse picking at him. He's pretty well mannered and hasn't really chased anyone in my tank, but he was also the last fish I've put in. That being said, he doesn't take anything from anyone either, I'm sure he could become a bully if it got too cramped in there, but so far he's been a model citizen. He was REALLY shy for the first week I had him, but now he recognizes me and comes out begging for food anytime I get near the tank. They really are quite awesome fish, both, color and personality wise, one of my favorite purchases in years.

Old 03/15/2007, 08:23 PM
Premium Member

I picked up this beautiful Temmincks from Vanuatu today.

Also a beautful Coral sea fairy, (bathyphilus) but havent been able to get a good pic yet.
Old 03/15/2007, 08:44 PM
Premium Member

bradleyj..thats a nice find..i have one just like that..its a c. punctatus... finespotted fairy warsse...cool fish...the one i have is very mean chases down alot of my other fairy warsses..but a really pretty fish when he displays
Old 03/19/2007, 05:18 PM
Registered Member

Has any tried 1 supermale, 1 sub-dominant male, and 2 female Lineatus in the same tank? I have had them in the tank for a week now and have not seen any aggression but was wondering if I might have to remove some later down the road? Thanks
Old 03/20/2007, 02:59 PM
Premium Member

i just got me a new rhomboid fairy warsse today...got one heck of a deal on it...a male for $100...i have never seen one that cheap...i had to pick it up for that price i will post some pics when i get some shots of him..but it has some really nice colors..a very nice male for sure
Old 03/20/2007, 03:11 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by wrasseguy2
i just got me a new rhomboid fairy warsse today...got one heck of a deal on it...a male for $100...i have never seen one that cheap...i had to pick it up for that price i will post some pics when i get some shots of him..but it has some really nice colors..a very nice male for sure
wow! where did you get him?

pretty good deal to me..

did you get your Laboutei from TFG?
Old 03/20/2007, 03:34 PM
Premium Member

marvin pm sent
Old 03/20/2007, 03:43 PM
Registered Member

wrasseguy2 that's an unbelievable price congrats, can't wait to see the pix! That's an AWESOME find.

Old 03/21/2007, 02:49 AM
Premium Member

did you get it locally?? That is one hell of a deal.. did they misprice it? That is below wholesale....
Old 03/21/2007, 07:39 AM
Registered Member

Show Time!! Just to share :-)