Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes

Old 02/27/2007, 09:35 PM
RC Staff

This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...06#post9353206
Old 02/27/2007, 09:35 PM
Premium Member

Gary,

It seems to me a young male of C. lubbocki.
Old 02/27/2007, 09:43 PM
yes it's my aquarium

thank you
Old 02/27/2007, 10:49 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by H.Tanaka
Gary,

It seems to me a young male of C. lubbocki.
How did you determine that he was a lubbocki. I thought that was the female variation of a few different species.
Old 02/27/2007, 11:05 PM
yes it's my aquarium

I believe Dr. Tanaka can see the coloration changes taking place in the fish seen above- notice the coloration changes in it's dorsal fin (orange) and body (purple).

Here is another picture of the very same fish before the the color change started taking place. This picture is more typical of how many females and juvenile Cirrhilabrus appear
Old 02/27/2007, 11:29 PM
Premium Member

Thanks, Gary.

FishF00d,
See the yellow anal fin, a black spot at caudal peduncle, a duskier spot above eye, a bluish abdomen, and a yellowish back and dorsal fin, etc. match this species in young male stage.

It looks alike C. cyanopleura in female stage but it has no yellow anal fin.
Old 02/27/2007, 11:53 PM
Premium Member

Tanaka

I have a question. I ordered a male lineatus wrasse and got what appears to be a sub male or female. I am wondering if without the presents of a male, it will turn to the male coloring or not. I wasnt sure since I know some fish do. here are some pics,

Thanks

Bret
Old 02/28/2007, 01:23 AM
Premium Member

Def a male, just a small one. He has some good colors for a smaller male. How long are the anal fins?
Old 02/28/2007, 07:15 AM
Registered Member

Tanaka: I had a question I have a 2 1/2" - 3 "sand bed in my tank. My yellow coris buries himself in at night. My rhomboid wedges himself in the rocks at night. My lineatus and labouti wedge themselves between the sand bed and rocks. Is this common for fairy wrasses? I know it's common for the coris to bury himslef. Thanks.
Old 02/28/2007, 07:37 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by H.Tanaka
Thanks, Gary.

FishF00d,
See the yellow anal fin, a black spot at caudal peduncle, a duskier spot above eye, a bluish abdomen, and a yellowish back and dorsal fin, etc. match this species in young male stage.

It looks alike C. cyanopleura in female stage but it has no yellow anal fin.
I wish I could tell them apart that young. I have a lfs who has two females in right now of unknown species and I'd love to get a female for my male yellowfin (flavidorsalis).
Old 02/28/2007, 01:39 PM
Premium Member

fairies dont bury themselves, they just wedge themselves into the rocks and surround their body with mucus.
Old 02/28/2007, 07:45 PM
Registered Member

zemuron114: thanks for the reply.
Old 02/28/2007, 10:00 PM
Who wants to trade frags?

that is exactly right neptune. . the only wrasses that bury are ones like leopard wrasses, coris wrasses, and some others. hope that helps. and i was wondering if you had any pictures of your wrasses? i would love to see them.
Old 03/01/2007, 12:18 AM
Premium Member

I'm not sure if this is the right forum. But I got my first fairy wrasse in my new 100g setup. He's a Scott's Fairy Wrasse (about 3.5") As soon as adding him to the tank he went into hiding and very rarely comes out. I got him Monday afternoon... it's now Thursday morning. Is this typical? I've also seen some mucus like string around his various hiding spots. I try to put some mysis around the areas when I'm feeding the rest of the fish.

Should I be soaking the food in any sort of additive to help him eat or just let him be?

Other fish include 5 Green Chromis, Eibli Angel, and a False Perc.
Old 03/01/2007, 03:43 AM
Premium Member

very normal for new fairies. Most will hide for a while and then slowly start coming out. They form a mucus cacoon(sp? lol) at night to hide their scent from predators. They will do this every night. Keep feeding and find where they are hiding and shoot the mysis (or whatever your feeding) down in that direction.
Old 03/01/2007, 08:15 AM
Premium Member

Cool, I've been doing that. He doesn't seem to make much acklowledgement at the food, but I look later and it's gone so either the current is taking it or he's eating.

I was looking around the net... noticed that fosters said to try feeder shrimp at first to get them to eat. Would it be worth picking some up? or just keep with the mysis?
Old 03/01/2007, 09:58 AM
Registered Member

sethd12: I have some pics in my gallery. Also, before the thread was split I had some pics. Just click on the thread on topm of this page and they should be there. Thanks for the insight.
Old 03/01/2007, 10:02 AM
Who wants to trade frags?

Wow! Those are awesome wrasses NeptuneofSC. Especially the Laboutei and Rhomboid. They are both absolutely amazing.
Old 03/01/2007, 11:59 PM
Premium Member

Here are a few updated pictures of the four fairy wrasses that I keep...these guys are hard to photograph because they're always moving.

Blue Sided fairy wrasse

Hawaiian and Adornatus fairy wrasses

Exquisite fairy wrasse
Old 03/02/2007, 11:08 AM
Premium Member

very nice jim
Old 03/03/2007, 12:55 PM
Registered Member

Jimsfly

That's a very nice exquisite.
Old 03/05/2007, 10:44 AM
Registered Member

Picked up a very nice 3.5" male solorensis a couple of days ago. Had him in a holding container in the tank for one day. The only fish i was worried about was my laboutei since they are similar shape. When the solorensis was in the holding container, my pylei pair which are 3.5" as well kept flashing at him.

Next day i decided to release the solorensis because the laboutei paid him no mind and i really was not worried about the pylei pair.

Boy was i wrong, when i released the solorensis, my pylei pair was on his tail constantly, my flame pair also was on his tail but not too bad. Even my flasher wrasse was flashing at the solorensis. The pylei pairs would not leave the solorensis alone, couldn't believe how aggresive the pylei's are. I had to turn off the lights and hope for the best.

End result dead solorensis in the back of the tank

I guess the reason they didn't like him was because of the similar size? I really like the solorensis, amazing coloration. Hoping maybe it is a sizing issue.

Any thougths?
Old 03/05/2007, 11:01 AM
Premium Member

I had a similar experience with a solar wrasse. It was actually my first fairy wrasse and had been in the tank for serveral months on its own. Although the aggression wasn't that bad, it was getting "low grade picked on" for several months and I think the stress finally did him in. At the time, I had a carpenters flasher, an adornatus, and a flame wrasse. Never noticed one picking on him more than the others, but eventually he went into hiding and died shortly thereafter.
Old 03/05/2007, 11:30 AM
Registered Member

Interesting, i had a small solorensis before in my 72 bow and everyone left him alone. This is the reason why i think it might be a size issue, but i didn't have the pylei pair then........
Old 03/05/2007, 11:36 AM
Aggressive Reef Keeper

Just wanted to throw out a pic of a newly aquired pink margin fairy: