Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/19/2006, 10:17 PM
Much Happier Now

Unhappy torch with brown jelly.

I bought a torch online and drip acclimated it for three hours. It puffed up and extended all it's tentacles within four hours of being in the tank. The next day two of the 6 heads are retracted and limp. These are on the same stalk. Today when I came home from work there is brown jelly on the skeleton and these two heads are almost gone. About 45% of the tentacles are left but totally deflated. Should I break this piece off? If not what should I do ?
Old 01/20/2006, 08:50 AM
Registered Member

Unfortunately, when it gets to this point, its too late. Sorry dude.
Old 01/20/2006, 08:58 AM
Much Happier Now

What are you saying exactly? The whole coral is doomed? I have seen many frogspawns do this and all the other heads are fine afterwards.

Jamie
Old 01/20/2006, 10:42 AM
Registered Member

I would try calling the online vender about a refund before you start sawing it apart. But even if you do, most likely it is too late and the disease has already affected all of the heads...

I have had this disease affect 2 corals that I got received from a LFS soon after they received it from the wholesaler. One was an alviapora and the other was a branching Frogspawn. As soon as I saw a trace of the disease on the frogspawn, I roto-zipped the heads apart and removed the head that showed the signs of the desease. A couple of days later, the tissue of the other 2 heads disolved.
Old 01/20/2006, 12:26 PM
Registered Member

Re: torch with brown jelly.

I was having the Same Problem When I bought my frogspawn.I could save it and it died less than 2 days after I bought it.It was like a slime coming off of each head.Sorry if the pictures don't work in my link.
Old 01/20/2006, 09:14 PM
Registered Member

my advise would be two break the heads that are visablly affected off. Be gentle though. My torch had about 15 heads when I bout it, and the next day only four were left. Those four heads have done amazing ever since. So the moral of the story is that it may not be too late.....Make sure the coral is getting enough flow also to move the waste away from it.....just enough to sway the tentacles back and forth. Good luck, I hope it works out.

Jeff