Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/18/2006, 03:24 PM
22 And Livin It Up!

Beginner LPS

What would be some good beginner LPS for small tank with alot of color that would be ok with 4watts per gal. Pics would be really helpfull

Click on My Gallery for pics of my tank
Click the little red house for my tank diary!!!
Old 01/18/2006, 04:06 PM
Registered Member

With such a small tank and little light, you really shoudnt keep any LPS corals. Their requirements are just too high.

You will be better off looking at Zoo's, mushrooms and leathers.
Old 01/18/2006, 04:28 PM
22 And Livin It Up!

really, i thought there were some lower light ones, i am going to have over 9 watts per gal next month, what would be ok with that amount of light?

Old 01/18/2006, 04:38 PM
Registered Member

Are you keeping a 10 gallon amber? I kept some really nice euphylia in a 55 with just normal output fluorescents (about 200 watts worth). It's tough keeping up with your water parems in such a small tank (10 gallon) though. You gotta be all over your game with such a small system. The watts per gallon thing can be deceiving too. Born and raised in florida by the way. Moved up from daytona beach.
Old 01/18/2006, 04:53 PM
Moved On

Your planning on putting 90watts over it? How shallow is it? There are some that you can do...

Torch, hammer, brain... then some zoo's and mushrooms.
My dad has frogspawn in his 12 gal tank with only 30watts above it and it has done fine and has grown. As long as you supplment some stuff. My brain that i just put in is doing very well, so you will be fine, how long has your tank been up?
Old 01/18/2006, 05:04 PM
Registered Member

LPS are photosynthetic, so if you want them to be happay and healthy, you will want the light output. Plus with a 10g tank, parameter swings happen a lot quicker...

You can get some really nice colors in your tank with Zoo's and Ric's. The Zoo's will bunch up so tight in a decent colony, that they start to look like LPS.
Old 01/18/2006, 05:12 PM
Purveyor of Misguidance

Your lighting will be fine for trumpets, open brains, Euphyliids, many mussids, etc.
Old 01/18/2006, 05:24 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by llamart
LPS are photosynthetic, so if you want them to be happay and healthy, you will want the light output. Plus with a 10g tank, parameter swings happen a lot quicker...

You can get some really nice colors in your tank with Zoo's and Ric's. The Zoo's will bunch up so tight in a decent colony, that they start to look like LPS.
They are partically photosnthetic, but alot of the LPS feed on meaty treats and liquid supplments, so as long as he sticks to those that are easy to feed and feeds them regulary, he should be ok.
Old 01/18/2006, 06:10 PM
22 And Livin It Up!

There is actually going to be 96 watts over the 10 gal next month, 40 watts for now. The tank isn't very deep it's a standard 10 gal (12" high) I know the parameters can swing alot in such a amall tank, but i want a nano reef and i think i can handle it. The actual gallons of water in the system will actually be closer to 22 gallon, because i have a sump/refugium, i also have a skimmer that is rated for a 75 gal. I also have been doing a 2 gal water change weekly to the sump and the display, 4 gal total (the sump/refugium is running, but i'm waiting on a few parts so i can actually hook it up to the display.) Currently my ammonia, nitrites, nitrates are all 0 and all i have in it is a damsel and some inverts. Here are a couple pics of my tank and my current lights. The tank has been running about 1 month

Old 01/18/2006, 06:22 PM
Shh... We're fishing.

I've successfully kept Caulastrea (candy cane) as well as acropora, porites under my 10 gallon @ 40 watts per gallon. Nothing with real long sweeper tentacles. I've had to separate my caulastrea from some other stuff. 4 watts of PC is not bad, the tank is not that deep...
I agree that you have to be on your game though. Daily maintenance included filling my tank with one of three gallon jugs of water. One was plain distilled, One with Seachem Buffer to raise pH, the last was saltwater. Depending on my daily readings, I would use one or a combo of two jugs of water.
Old 01/18/2006, 06:22 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Cutiewitbooty
There is actually going to be 96 watts over the 10 gal next month, 40 watts for now. The tank isn't very deep it's a standard 10 gal (12" high) I know the parameters can swing alot in such a amall tank, but i want a nano reef and i think i can handle it. The actual gallons of water in the system will actually be closer to 22 gallon, because i have a sump/refugium, i also have a skimmer that is rated for a 75 gal. I also have been doing a 2 gal water change weekly to the sump and the display, 4 gal total (the sump/refugium is running, but i'm waiting on a few parts so i can actually hook it up to the display.) Currently my ammonia, nitrites, nitrates are all 0 and all i have in it is a damsel and some inverts. Here are a couple pics of my tank and my current lights. The tank has been running about 1 month

I would let it sit for a while longer, in the mean time maybe pick up some Zoa's and see how they do, LPS tend to like "Dirtier" water, it is not a must but they tend to like it more... Just make sure you do regular water changes to help prevent any level swing and also to add the "good stuff" back in.
Again...
Open Brains
Hammer
torch
Frogspawn
then add some zoas and you will have a very nice tank!!! Just make sure to feed the LPS's
Old 01/18/2006, 08:01 PM
22 And Livin It Up!

Why do they like dirty water? I'll try the zoas or shrooms first.

Old 01/18/2006, 09:46 PM
Waste Management

You don't need dirty water (lol). Any Ricordea or Zoo you get will need just as much light as most LPS (As far as Ricordea go you might need more light.
Old 01/19/2006, 01:03 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by DonavonsReef
You don't need dirty water (lol). Any Ricordea or Zoo you get will need just as much light as most LPS (As far as Ricordea go you might need more light.
I never said it was needed i said it was perferred. and mushrooms and Zoas would be better to get first, because of the hardiness of them and they rquire less light. Also they are cheaper so if something happens in the begining then you will not lose alot of money.

They require less light then 90% of LPS with th exception of the ricd. But zoas, mushrooms, and lps "eat" whats in the water and that can sustian them under lower lighting.

Dirty water just means there is more stuff floating in it, which tends to be the case when you get down into the "nano" tanks. SPS tend to like cleaner water, cause they are more enstive then most LPS.
Old 01/19/2006, 08:15 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Any Ricordea or Zoo you get will need just as much light as most LPS (As far as Ricordea go you might need more light.
Zoo's and Rics will do fine under the light conditions that you have. If there is stronger light on them, then they color up better. Start with Zoos and mushrooms. They will look great in the tank and will be a good platform to move on to other things.
Old 01/19/2006, 08:40 AM
Waste Management

Quote:
Zoo's and Rics will do fine under the light conditions that you have. If there is stronger light on them, then they color up better. Start with Zoos and mushrooms. They will look great in the tank and will be a good platform to move on to other things.
And so will most LPS, Good luck.
Old 01/19/2006, 02:32 PM
Registered Member

my 180 has about 4.5 watts/gal. my lps does great. stat with candycane, blasto, ancan, or most brain type coral should do fine.
Old 01/19/2006, 03:14 PM
Registered Member

Do LPS ever get too much light? I'm getting 2X400 20k's for my 65 gallon and I was wondering if anything bad could happen. Right now I only have a 250watt over one side and things are ok. I have done lps under very low light and had success but is there such thing as too much light.
Old 01/19/2006, 03:49 PM
Registered Member

my 180 has 2-400w 13k. some of the lps took some time to adjust. 800 watts over a 65gal sure is bright and hot, but it might work with a long adjustment.
Old 01/19/2006, 04:22 PM
Registered Member

Thanks, I think I'll do that then. Right now I have a 250 10k will that be alright for sps?
Old 01/19/2006, 04:48 PM
Registered Member

i have a frogspawn & torch (& 4 sun corals) in my 30 that only has about 5g/w and both are doing great. but i have to say the hairy mushrooms & palythoas seem to be thriving the most in there.
Old 01/19/2006, 04:53 PM
Waste Management

Some Acans & Enchinos will bleach out or just turn brown under too much light. They are for the most part low light corals from low parts of the reef or drop offs.
Old 01/19/2006, 05:31 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Some Acans & Enchinos will bleach out or just turn brown under too much light. They are for the most part low light corals from low parts of the reef or drop offs.
Agreed, if you have alot of light over a tank, then just place that stuff under a ledge or in a darker corner, they will do better. Just some how sheild them.