Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: how much did you pay for your Interruptus Angel
under $100 4 26.67%
$101- $500 3 20.00%
$501- $1000 6 40.00%
$1000+ 2 13.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10/01/2005, 07:14 PM
Registered Member

Interruptus Angel

anyone have an interruptus angelfish? the LFS has one for $800. its about 5 inches. the store is http://deepreefaquatics.com/.
Old 10/01/2005, 07:17 PM
Registered Member

the site says there are only 5 imported a year
Old 10/01/2005, 07:23 PM
Registered Member

reefman77, I seen them at deepreef, they are beautiful and I am saving up for one, but it might be a while before I can get one.
Old 10/01/2005, 07:27 PM
Registered Member

holy crap!! I actulley found a pet store near me!! Holy crap hahahaa I was just like, man I wish I had a fish store near me that had actual pictures of their fish. Then I look and its in IL, sweet!!
Old 10/01/2005, 07:30 PM
Registered Member

How is that store? The ones by me usually gets crappy quality fishes and/or has no variety, just the same old same old everytime.
Old 10/01/2005, 07:39 PM
Registered Member

Their prices are realy high but the fish are worth every penny. never seen better quality fish. not even in the bahamas. they have clams too.
Old 10/01/2005, 07:39 PM
Registered Member

Sorry to change the subject again, but is that the fishstore that has a huge shark tank and a huge ray tank at it? I think I might have been there already. Also, I think $800 is a good price for that fish, online, which is usually cheaper, sells tank raised ones for $750.
Old 10/01/2005, 07:48 PM
Registered Member

they have a big freshwater ray tank in the front
Old 10/01/2005, 08:04 PM
Registered Member

I think the one I went to might have been called living aquatics or something
Old 10/01/2005, 09:27 PM
Registered Member

CrazyLionfish, you are thinking of Living Sea in Park Ridge.
Old 10/01/2005, 10:47 PM
Registered Member

Thank god, because this pet store looks awesome, but then I saw a picture of the clam tank and it looked similar to that of the Living Sea. I'll have to check this one out. And good luck with your interruptus angel!!!
Old 10/01/2005, 11:10 PM
Registered Member

the retail for about 500-700 from the only breeder. he is located in Hawaii. he is the guy to talk to if you are serious, do a search on here for them and you will find his site i cant remember off the top of my head. but go through him and you can get a pair for 1000 or get a single one for about 600.....

Nick
Old 10/02/2005, 12:48 AM
Premium Member

RCT Hawaii

someone on these boards I can't remember who has a pair of them.
Old 10/02/2005, 01:08 AM
Got Nog?

crazylionfish, jeff is the owner of deepreef, he gets all the cool rare stuff in that many LFS around the chicago area don't get. Its a bit pricey but the fish are so healthy.
Old 10/02/2005, 02:28 AM
angelfish nut!

Recent prices of wild interuptus have come down, with the last batch from Tom at www.justrarefish.com and marineaquatics.net going for just $399...

However, rcthawaii is where it's at! (by the way username Maximus is the guy with a pair) While he does not usually give tours of his facility, I had the pleasure of meeting up with Frank at his "facility" (the garage and basement of his house!) just 5 minutes from Waikiki on Oahu about a month ago. He'll again have interuptus available next year for $650, and has decided to extend his guarantee to 21 days. We spent a morning together, and we went into depth on his breeding of interuptus. One nice thing he's found with the F1 captive bred interuptus is that they fare better under higher temperatures... up to around 80. As the temperatures climb into the 80s however the fish sufferdegredation of the lateral line and other effects, but fortunately this occurs at higher temperatures in the captive bred specimens... something you may want to consider if deciding between wild and captive bred...

The next day I met up with Charles Delbeek at the Waikiki aquarium where I saw some wild interuptus... exciting but nothing compared to seeing a wild breeding pair with offspring!

What an inspirational guy Frank Baensch is... and while I cannot mention what he's got cooking, suffice it to say it excited me to see that so many species will become available not just in our lifetimes... but soon! If you provide him a pair of super rare valuable fish the agreement he has is that he gives you the first six young he carries through the larval stage... sounds like a deal to me!

Anyway, for those who are fish nuts like myself, this guy is truly a pioneer... and it was just fascinating meeting him in person... here's a shot of Frank and I at his house... he's the tall German on the right...

Keep up the great work Frank!

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

What is recommended to the novice and what experienced reefers do are two different things.
Old 10/02/2005, 09:58 AM
Registered Member

Wow John lucky you, haha.

Any pics? or was that off limits?

So basically this guy can get any true pair of fish to breed and raise their young?

Man i would love to take a trour of his place.

Nick

P.S. sent you am email John.

Last edited by nbd13; 10/02/2005 at 10:13 AM.
Old 10/02/2005, 02:41 PM
Premium Member

That guy is awesome.

He is doing things that I never thought would be accomplished in my lifetime.

If I had the 6 clams I would place my order today!
Old 10/02/2005, 03:30 PM
Pimping the Lady Boys

Hey John, I didnt get it....who's the German in the pic???

Mr.Baensch is a pioneer, and I saw his fish in few places in the world, very healthy and nice specimens.

Who said there are 5 interruptus imported a year and to where??

Earlier this year there was a shipment of 5 specimens from Japan to Hong Kong, all wild caught, all sold out within 1 hr but were with parasite so went to treatment, the importer got mad and few days later received another 3 clean specimens.
Also the sick fish made it, so total 8pcs sold in a week in one shop.
Old 10/07/2005, 06:47 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CeeGee
RCT Hawaii

someone on these boards I can't remember who has a pair of them.
That would be me I've had them for almost a year now and they are doing great. They have probably tripled in size and eat everything under the sun.

John,
Do you have any pics of his setup? Also, do you know how many interruptus younglings he currently has? I'm thinking about a harem!