Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 01/06/2008, 01:33 PM
Registered Member

macroalgae question

do i need macroalgae or not ? if so how do i grow it
Old 01/06/2008, 02:17 PM
Premium Member

Macro-algae has a number of useful purposes in a reef, but there are also some negative issues that may result from their use so you should be careful when chosing and using it.

To directly answer your question....the answer is...a qualified "yes."

The "yes" is qualified because to say you "need" it isn't wholly correct, but when you do use it, the benefits, if used correctly, can be really significant. The benefit is that the macro-algae consumes excess nitrates and phosphates that in its absence would be a source of nourishment for unwanted micro-algaes that are not only unsightly, but also pose a threat to the health and life of many corals.

Okay, so, to get the most benefit out of macro-algae, IMO, you'd do that by having a compartment of your sump or a separate "refugium," through which you system's water would pass and then return to your main tank...in which you'd grow the macro-algae. For certain reasons, I'd recommend that the macro-algae you chose to grow in that capacity be chaetomorpha...commonly known as Chaeto or "spaghetti" algae. To get the most benefit from this, grow it under a light that's got enough wattage and is close enough above where the Chaeto's growing and is approximately 6500K (Kelvins).

The healthy growth of the Chaeto will go a long way in reducing any nitrates in your system and keep your water's quality in a better condition than in its absence. Not only that, but amphopods and copepods that are beneficial to a reef will use that Chaeto as an area to hide and breed.
Old 01/06/2008, 03:13 PM
Premium Member

Definitely go with Chaeto if you've got a place for it in your sump -- if not, a hang on refugium can't hurt.

Regarding lighting, check out:
http://www.melevsreef.com/fuge_bulb.html

After reading the article, the best light I could find at my local Lowe's was a Sylvania Super mini Full Spectrum CF (23W, 100W replacement) 5000K bulb. After my winter vacation (~12 days) my Chaeto nearly doubled. Quite impressive in contrast to the CF fixtures usually sold with sumps.
Old 01/06/2008, 03:15 PM
Moved On

You guys forgot to mention that it also provides good OXYGEN for the fish. If you would like to keep any in your DT, I'd personally go with HALIMEDA. It doesnt grow fast and it does wonders for the tank. HTH
Old 01/06/2008, 03:27 PM
Registered Member

thanks for your help.
Old 01/07/2008, 12:01 AM
Registered Member

Gracilaria is a great multi use easily cultivated macro. It is asthetically pleasing as well as a delicious treat for tangs, angels ect..
Old 01/07/2008, 12:27 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cd77
Definitely go with Chaeto if you've got a place for it in your sump -- if not, a hang on refugium can't hurt.

Regarding lighting, check out:
http://www.melevsreef.com/fuge_bulb.html

After reading the article, the best light I could find at my local Lowe's was a Sylvania Super mini Full Spectrum CF (23W, 100W replacement) 5000K bulb. After my winter vacation (~12 days) my Chaeto nearly doubled. Quite impressive in contrast to the CF fixtures usually sold with sumps.
I use a 25 watt energy saver bulb from Home Depot:

Old 01/07/2008, 12:32 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by capn_hylinur
I use a 25 watt energy saver bulb from Home Depot:
Impressive! I've totally lost count of the amount of times I've seen your sump/refugium setup pics Capn, but I'm still envious! Very nice. BTW (if I recall correctly) I think we both pulled our filter sockets out at the same time. So far so good for me, I hope it's working out well for you too.
Old 01/07/2008, 07:56 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cd77
Impressive! I've totally lost count of the amount of times I've seen your sump/refugium setup pics Capn, but I'm still envious! Very nice. BTW (if I recall correctly) I think we both pulled our filter sockets out at the same time. So far so good for me, I hope it's working out well for you too.
thanks Chris--- those pics have been very useful

Two weeks after I removed the sock I started getting cyano in the fuge and on the substrate in the main tank.
I put the sock back on and the cyano has disappeared.

I think my skimmer is not as effecient as others so it needs the extra help from the sock.