Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae

Old 12/03/2007, 09:14 PM
Registered Member

Please help ID this brown stuff.

Please help ID this brown stuff growing on my rocks. It seems like it is spreading and grows over stuff. I'd like to get rid of it if I new how.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/showp...p?photo=232502
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/showp...p?photo=232501

Thanks
Old 12/04/2007, 02:48 PM
Reefer Maniac

I have seen that too, not sure though, BUMP
Old 12/05/2007, 12:43 AM
Registered Member

Your pictures are a bit fuzzy, especially the second, but it may be Lobophora. Try searching for images to see if that looks like what you have.
Old 12/08/2007, 03:47 PM
Registered Member

does it look like long brown snot.. an in the morning it not there as much, then as the day wears on it grows out.. if so theres a thread in the advanced reefers part about it.. an its a huge problem for me ATM ..i hope that helps..

scott
Old 12/08/2007, 07:08 PM
Registered Member

No it's a hard substance that encrusts on the rock and it is brown in color. At first I thought it was some type of coralline but it is not. Not a slime or any of the typical nuisance algae I have seen. When I pull it off you can tell it's a plant of some sort.
Old 12/09/2007, 05:06 PM
Mackerel

The pictures do not show enough detail. Try searching the following:

Lobophora (as mentioned above). Forms brown circular encrusting tiers and fan-shaped fronds; exhibits many colors and morphological variations. The underside of the fronds (leaves) have felt-like surface, the top side is smooth.

Psuedolithoderma (=Ralfsia). Forms brown, tightly adherent circular crusts on rock an glass.

Neither is palatable to most herbivorous fish. Possible herbivores are Diadema urchins and Naso tangs. Best removal strategy is hand removal. [Sprung, 2002] [Huisma, Abbott, Smith; 2007]

Also brown, encrusting, and forming fan-shaped blades: Distromium, which is thin and uncalcified. Padina, which is calcified.

An extreme but effective startegy for macro algae erradication is to remove the rock, wire-brush off the algae, rinse the fragments away, and then spread a paste of lime (kalk) where the algae was. Wait a few minutes and rinse away the lime paste. Most anything smothered by lime paste is likely to be killed (pH of 12). Trying to use lime paste in the tank is likely to spike pH in the tank. Trying to scrub off the algae in the tank is likely to spread the algae by the loose fragments. Expect the rock to appear bleached where the paste was used. For algae that spreads readily by spores (ex: bubble algae like Ventricaria or Valonia) this is unlikely to erradicate the algae as unseen "babies" are probably already growing throughout the system.
Old 12/09/2007, 05:16 PM
Mackerel

Quote:
it's a hard substance that encrusts on the rock and it is brown in color
Peyssonelia is a brownish-colored red algae that forms tough crusts and is mistaken for a crustose coralline. But I don't think that the tiers of fan-shaped fronds are typical of it. Another brown calcified encrusting algae is Newhousia.

That exhausts my feeble library of references.