Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/02/2008, 06:29 PM
Registered Member

General LTA ?'s

Thanks in advance for your input:
1. How frequently do the close up and why.?
2. How often and how much should you feed them..?
3. Are there any concerns regarding the interaction between LTA's and other bottom dwellers (ie hermite carbs, smalls, etc)...?
4. what about lighting, how much and how long....?

Happy New Year
Old 01/02/2008, 07:06 PM
Registered Member

Go to www.carlosreef.com. Here you will find alot of info on anemone habbits and care
Old 01/02/2008, 09:07 PM
I'm smooth and creamy.

1) Gets smaller at night, but only closes fully up once in a while -- every other mouth or so -- assuming I don't "bug" it.

2) Feed it about every 10-14 days, either krill or sliversides (( or when I remember ))

3) No issue with hermits or nass snails

4) On my 58 gallon tank 2*175 MH + 2+96 PC MH one for 8 hours a day, PCs 10

The above answers apply to me and experiences with my LTA in that tank.
Old 01/02/2008, 09:07 PM
Registered Member

1. since I bought mine in october my lta has only closed up completely..once.. I was changing the light on the aquarium.. I guess the lta thought there was a storm coming so it closed up and went under the sand for a few hours.
2. I feed my lta a silver side once a week. ..when it was smaller the lta was fed twice but only a 1/4 piece of the silverside.
3. I don't think it would be a good idea to have any bottom dwelling fish with an lta. All I have is a pom pom crab and a porcelain crab..they keep their distance.
4. any kind of t5s or MH will do..I think lights should be on no less than five hours a day. There are times when I will just have the actinic blues on for a day when its raining outside.The aquarium can't always have a perfect sunny day you know.

Make sure your tank is mature enough to keep an LTA happy and healthy.
Old 01/03/2008, 04:10 PM
Registered Member

I've got an LTA, specifically an H Crispa.
1) Since regaining health it has never closed up, although it does shrink a bit at night and it closes around food as well. It ranges from 12-18" at this time, depending on how it feels.
2) I used to feed silversides once a week as it was recovering but now feed about every 2-3 weeks. It is extremely sticky and gets a lot of food from the water column during feeding time.
3) I've had zero problems with interactions between other bottom dwellers and my nem. I've had no problem with interactions with any of my other tank inhabitants other than the fact that my clownfish won't interact with the nem.
4) I run 4x96watt PC lighting on a 120 gallon 4x2x2 tank from 8AM to 10PM daily.
Old 01/03/2008, 04:24 PM
Registered Member

1. Almost never shrinks up, except when i touch it.
2. Mine likes scallops, I might try to start feeding silversides soon as it did not take them when first acclimating.
3. I have a pistol shrimp and goby that hand out together and dig tunnels everywhere, no problems.\
4. 150w HQI on my 26 gallon.