Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/25/2005, 11:59 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NHMarine
rtc, Yes that we be great if you posted a picture of your sump. Today I set one baffle.....two more to go!!!

What kind of bulbs did you get?
The Sump will be up-and-running as soon as I get my tank filled. I probably cannot get a good pic to you for a while at least not until Thursday. Please look at my galley for a "semi" good pic.

I got the EVC 14K 250 Watt (2) Halides from OceanEncounter.

Last edited by rtc_reefer; 05/25/2005 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05/26/2005, 08:55 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jq1177
Hi guys I went to the plymouth pet store on saturday last week and got some nice corals. I got a really nice Blastomussa Welsi with about thirteen polyps on it it is a very nice solid blood red color and was only $66.00. I think that is a pretty good price compared to some I've seen on the internet. I also got a nice Flower Tree coral and a small Trumpet coral. The tanks as always looked great up there. Bye.
Nice!!...I have been eye-balling that pc, its in great shape too.

Did, you see the email on the latest order? lots of ORA frags.

RTC your sump looks sweet!!....I love the picture with your helper in the tank, I showed our 7 year old, she laughed.

Can not wait to see your tank stocked. Are you transferring from another tank, or starting out fresh?
Old 05/26/2005, 10:44 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Nice!!...I have been eye-balling that pc, its in great shape too.

Did, you see the email on the latest order? lots of ORA frags.

RTC your sump looks sweet!!....I love the picture with your helper in the tank, I showed our 7 year old, she laughed.

Can not wait to see your tank stocked. Are you transferring from another tank, or starting out fresh?
Hi NH...
Thanks. Last night I finished the auto-topoff system installation and test run... seems to be working... Now onto the canopy.. and HD.

I'm going to be transferring the contents of the 46 bow into the 120 once it has had a chance to cycle. I'll post pics once there is something to look at.

Unfortunately the boat is in the water and will be taking a lot of my time now... (maybe I should have said "fortunately?") Stripers are waiting for me!

C-ya
Old 05/27/2005, 11:47 AM
Premium Member

Cool, I hope to have my sump and skimmer running by Sunday. I still have one more baffle to glue in tonight and I would like it to let it thoroughly dry before I water test it.

I will post some pictures of it, along with some pictures I just took that are not in my gallery.

So you have a boat huh? What kind? I have one too.....except I don't fish off it as much as I would like too.
Old 05/27/2005, 03:16 PM
Premium Member

Hi Keith!

I just uploaded some Pictures of what I made in 3 hours... a little oak, a nail gun, table saw, Compound Miter saw and some wood-glue. I was suprised how little time it took!

I have a 31 SeaRay. Do a lot of fishing of of the docks. Stripers are hitting well right now!

To all Reefers; NH and throughout.. Have a wonderful Memorial Day Weekend!
Old 05/27/2005, 07:01 PM
Premium Member

Rick,

Nice job!! I'm jealous of all the room you have to get into your tank. Can't wait to see the doors on.

You must be anxious to make the switch huh?

31' Ray, very well built boat. I can only dream of having a 31' here on the lake.

I do have a 18' Checkmate that I cruise the lake on. I am ready to move up to a 24' minimum.

So I went up to Plymouth Pet today after work. Their tanks are getting nice and full, as you can see by the emails you have been getting from them they have quite a variety of SPS now.....and its all ORA frags.

Next time you come up this way, let me know, I will head up there too, I will give you a couple of Monti frags I have mounted, consider it a tank warming gift....lol.

Take it easy guys!!!!
Old 05/31/2005, 11:57 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Rick,

Nice job!! I'm jealous of all the room you have to get into your tank. Can't wait to see the doors on.

You must be anxious to make the switch huh?

31' Ray, very well built boat. I can only dream of having a 31' here on the lake.

I do have a 18' Checkmate that I cruise the lake on. I am ready to move up to a 24' minimum.

So I went up to Plymouth Pet today after work. Their tanks are getting nice and full, as you can see by the emails you have been getting from them they have quite a variety of SPS now.....and its all ORA frags.

Next time you come up this way, let me know, I will head up there too, I will give you a couple of Monti frags I have mounted, consider it a tank warming gift....lol.

Take it easy guys!!!!
Sounds like a plan, thank you.. I'll tell you when the next time I'll be in the area! It sounds as if Plymouth pet is pretty good. That is a REAL long haul for me. The switch will probably begin in a few months. Must be patient.

Later..
Old 06/03/2005, 07:49 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nhbloke
That would be great, the lakes is only around 1hr for me and my wife could go to the quilt shop in meridith? the same day, the more she spends on quilts the more i can spend on fish stuff
Hey nhbloke, looks like Keepsake Quilting is having a tent / tractor trailer sale this weekend.

I'm heading up to Plymouth Pet this weekend, their tanks are getting too full
Old 06/03/2005, 10:59 PM
Registered Member

thanks for the heads up but we have planned to paint the house this weekend or at least start it, how did the sump go, i will try to post a picture of mine but last time i tried it did not work,our dial up modem is not always that fast 2600 top speed due to our phone lines. also the picture is not very good as the oil boiler is directly in front of the tank. have a fun weekend
Old 06/04/2005, 12:51 PM
Premium Member

Nashua, NH here.
Old 06/05/2005, 07:30 AM
Premium Member

All,

Completed installation of the canopy/ halides and fans. Check out my gallery.

I just need to go to HD and order doors now!

Any comments of suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 06/05/2005, 06:27 PM
Registered Member

Looking good so far, have no suggestions as i know nothing yet.
Old 06/05/2005, 07:20 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nhbloke
Looking good so far, have no suggestions as i know nothing yet.
At least NHBloke is humble!
Old 06/12/2005, 05:37 PM
Premium Member

Hi everyone!!

Wow, how do you guys like the heat & humidity? I know one thing....I am all set with these flash flood rain storms, I don't have much road left.

Tank is doing well, I have built and installed my new sump (20G) & skimmer (Euro Reef RS5-3).

Thank God for central air.......I have now chiller on my tank.

Hi cephalopoder, you see that 210 in Sea World? man....that would be so sweet.

well nhbloke, how did the painting go? I have to re-stain my front porch. Gotta love owning your own house.

rtc_reefer, canopy is looking sweet, I am going to go through all your pictures next time I am on high speed modem, my 56K is so slow. I cant get high speed here in the sticks

Check out our new website. My DIY sump is there, along with lots of pic's. Its our first website
Old 06/12/2005, 07:07 PM
Premium Member

I was just in seawold Saterday and yes I did see the 210, very nice.
I just built a new tank this past week 25 gallon, custiom sump with refugium I built myself, cpr sr2 skimmer (only skimmer that would fit given the space!!!), aquamedic ocean light 150w 20k and 40 lbs of rock from florida. I had bought a orbit 130 PC for this tank but I put it on another tank while I was building this one and well you know how it goes....
Old 06/12/2005, 08:05 PM
Premium Member

Looking good cephalopoder!!

Is it drilled?, I don't see an overflow so it must be.

So what are you going to stock it with? I think the stocking part is the best part.
Old 06/12/2005, 08:40 PM
Premium Member

Yes NHMarine, I drilled the tank and set it up originally for breeding sea horses thats why I got the 130w orbit but had thoughts about some sps too but chances are I will hold off on sps for the time being. . The 150 w 20k is pretty mild so horses would be fine under that as well. Right now I just have a cleaning crew ad a few softies I fragged from another tank in it. I have a high density copepod production system I built thats been running and the pods are doing well. I can also do rotifers in the same system and have the cysts but have not fierd them up yet.
How do you like the quiet one 4000 on the remora pro? I have a pro and have thought about upgrading the rio 1400 but it has always seemed to work fine and suites my needs for what I use it on.
Old 06/13/2005, 09:38 AM
Premium Member

My canopy doors have been ordered and will be ready in about two - three weeks. Tank is in an A/C room and still at 82 degrees! Lights on 6 hours. No corals or fish in there yet. Got 45 pounds of LR from ReeferMadness that came in fully cured! No ammonia in my QT tank at all so moved to display. Transferred a few Cleaner crew form the 46 this weekend to the sump and the display. Will be putting about 30 pounds more LR in the 120 for the 46 this next weekend and maybe move the clown and the fridmani over there to slowly introduce fish to the system.

Keep you all posted as to the progress.
Old 06/13/2005, 12:07 PM
Premium Member

RTC, looking good!! I love you electrical panel, nice clean job.

On your canopy / lights. I notice there is no ground going from your ballast to you mogul socket?

82 is not in the danger zone (close) I get worried at 83. If you are always near the high end in temperature, I would install a couple of fans on the side near the water. You will be amazed how well it cools. I don't get hardly any light leak from my setup. Check out my gallery for some good pic's.

I wish my tank was drilled like yours, I don't care for my HOB overflow. Just an excuse to upgrade!!
Old 06/13/2005, 01:22 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
RTC, looking good!! I love you electrical panel, nice clean job.

On your canopy / lights. I notice there is no ground going from your ballast to you mogul socket?

82 is not in the danger zone (close) I get worried at 83. If you are always near the high end in temperature, I would install a couple of fans on the side near the water. You will be amazed how well it cools. I don't get hardly any light leak from my setup. Check out my gallery for some good pic's.

I wish my tank was drilled like yours, I don't care for my HOB overflow. Just an excuse to upgrade!!
Grounds eh? I'll have to check how to do that. I didn't see any place to connect a ground at the socket nor at the ballast.... Do you know how to ground them?
Old 06/13/2005, 07:53 PM
Premium Member

Maybe you don't have them on your ballast?

On my Ice cap Electronic ballast's I have a ground that runs from a ground screw on the mogul socket, to a ground screw on the ballast box. Then of course you have the ground that runs from the ballast box to your household ground.

Good idea on painting the inside white. That should help reflect more light back into the tank.

Aquascaping will be fun in your 120 with that 24" depth. It should come out real nice.
Old 06/14/2005, 07:38 AM
Premium Member

Thanks NH... The depth should allow for a more three dimensional approach rather than a wall of rocks. I have 60 pounds in there now and will transfer the remaining 60 to the new tank this weekend with the livestock. The 120 cycled in less than two weeks... maybe 10 days. Never saw more than .25 Amm. Got the lights on for 6 hours / day until I get the inhabitants in there established. I have the heaters off now and the tank is holding in an A/C (76) room at 82.

I used white paint with polyurethane in it and it made a nice shiny gloss interior.
Later.
Old 06/17/2005, 10:21 PM
Registered Member

sounds like everyone is doing way more than me with their tanks, mine is just running along staying the same, but did get two new 20,000k mh bulbs which look great, the house painting is going slow along with getting the pool finished and lots of plumbing jobs that everyone seems to want done, no time left for anything else, i will try the new lfs in windam tomorrow as we have a party to go to right near it, last time i went there it was not open but looked like it will be cool. hope everyone is having fun and enjoying the summer, its like home to me as i am from England.
Old 06/19/2005, 09:36 AM
Premium Member

Nope.. looked at my ballasts and sockets.. no place to connect ground... I have the entire circuit as GFI anyway, at the electrical panel. Should have no issue. I ran a dedicated circuit to the tank (20 amp). Top off system working well .. It is directly connected to the RO/DI unit and I have it on a timer. two 1-hour periods a day allows for the unit not to kick on and off every three minutes.... Direct connections should allow for longer run times anyway. I just visited Aqua Addicts in Salem for the first time and was quite impressed with both selection and prices. Picked up my cheatomorpha there to start my fuge... he only charged me 5 dollars!

Tank pics to come this week!
Old 06/21/2005, 08:51 AM
Registered Member

I'm so glad to know that I am in such good company! I've been feeling all alone out here wondering if there were any other NH Reefers to share with. I'm in Laconia and I, too, shop at Plymouth Pet and cannot say enough good about them. I go up there to visit my fish and his friends when I visit my daughter and her family who live about 5 miles from the store. ( I'm not ready to add anything yet.) My last purchase was a clean-up crew about a month ago.
I still have a long ways to go to convert my 55 gal fish only to reef. So far, I have removed the 2" of crushed coral and added about 150# of play sand. (about 5") I only got the tank in February and am still gettng the feel of it. I did add a couple of pounds of live rock from PP just to seed the sand. I'm still running the original Penguin 330 filter that came with it. (Tank is about 9 years old and established with 1 ea: Sebae Clown, Tomato Clown, Yellow-tailed blue damselfish, and a Humbug Dascyllus. and a clean-up crew of a dozen assorted hermits and snails.) I do aspire to great things however. When space permits, I will convert a room that was storage to a fish room. I have plans to breed if all goes well. Still a long ways off though.
I'll be monitoring this thread from now on too.
You folks have been at this a while by the looks of it, and it's so inspiring just to look at your tanks and the time and effort that goes into them. Thanks for the encouragement.

Dave