Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/17/2007, 02:57 PM
Registered Member

Angry RO/DI storage PH too high

I have tested RO/DI water right out of the outlet, 7.0 perfectly neutral...I used red sea salt to make about 25 gallons of saltwater for holding and water changes...My new tank is FOWLR...I cannot buy saltwater premixed because I live in podunk georgia and the pet stores don't have any.

I tested my water today and the PH is well over 8.6 my salinity is a perfect 1.021-1.022.

I drained 5 gallons and put new RO/DI with oceanic salt same result.

Any ideas why or any suggestions on how to lower it?

I have maxijet 1200 circulating and heater keeping it at 78.
It is in a new 32 gallon plastic trach can. I covered it before bed and in the morning it kinda smelled foul...I just leave the lid off now...I tested it for ammonia and nitrites and nothing
Old 10/17/2007, 03:47 PM
RC Mod

Some salt products mix to a high pH that drops gradually with aeration. From your description, the water was aerated at least overnight, maybe? If so, I'd get a second opinion on the pH test equipment.

High pH would be caused mostly by low CO2:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-03/rhf/index.php

FWIW, SG at 1.021 is very low. I target about 1.026-1.026, which is about the canonical average natural seawater.
Old 10/17/2007, 03:57 PM
old enough to know better

My 02

New SW isn't suppose to smell "foul". You might consider changing the container your mixing your SW in. Also - when mixing up SW it needs to "breath" - if you cover the container use something that allows fresh air to come in (towel works fine).

High PH readings in a new batch of SW is a good sign you have an incorrect reading .. especially with Oceanic.
Old 10/17/2007, 04:18 PM
Registered Member

I wasn't running the venturi with the power head...but I see that this water needs aeration...Would it be alright to leave the top off completely? What about adding any additives? Would this be necessary, or would it be better to just have plain saltwater when I do the water changes?
Old 10/17/2007, 04:36 PM
old enough to know better

I don't put anything on top of my container when I make SW - even the dog is smart enough to avoid that container - if I make up more than I can use in the tank I place a towel over the top when I store.

You can add "additives" after you mix up your SW .. but to be blunt I don't think new aquarist should add anything to their tanks other than new saltwater. The general rule in SW is don't add anything to your tank unless you know it needs it and that knowledge is obtained by testing for the deficiency .. that rules out most of the mumbo jumbo additives pushed by LFS's.
Old 10/17/2007, 06:05 PM
RC Mod

I just use the 5g jugs from the fish store to mix water. I throw in a small pump, and that does the job. I wouldn't add an air bubbler of any kind since they make a mess. Leaving it uncovered isn't a problem, although evaporation might become an issue after some period.

What kind of additives are being used?