Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/11/2005, 03:23 PM
Registered Member

copeopods

I would like to start growing copeopods so that I can feed a mandarin goby. Is there anything that copeopods will eat besides live phyto?

Is there perhaps powdere phyto or something that I can buy cheap that they will eat?
Old 08/11/2005, 06:44 PM
Reefer

If you want to grow copepods (pelagics) you have to have really good phyto. You just can't grow the standard species. The better your phyto is the better your pods will be. For example most people report A. tonsa density of 1-3/mL, but we commonly get 10-12/mL. It's a reflection of the quality of the algae, both species and stock culture supply.

"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?" Albert Einstein
Old 08/11/2005, 08:55 PM
Premium Member

Are you trying to feed an adult mandarin, or fry? If an adult mandarin, pelagic copepods are unnecessary and probably won't be eaten anyway.

Benthic copepods (harpactacoids) will eat pretty much anything. You could use flake food if you like. The sticky thread at the top of this forum links to an article on how to raise benthic copepods. I would say if you want to use something like flake food, then just sprinkle a little every day.
Old 08/11/2005, 09:57 PM
the cow flys at dawn

you can gro copepods on V8, and many other phyto substitutes the only catch with using non live is that the water quality but its not that bad. the trick is to enrich before feeding to the target fish.

additionally fishgrrl is correct adults require, benthic micro creatures, but dont limit yourself to copepods, they eat so much more.
Old 08/12/2005, 07:13 AM
Premium Member

rsman,

What else do they eat? I know that mine in the past have eaten. frozen and live brine. I am setting up my 150g again and cannot wait to get the Mandarin again. What else can I include in the pod family for the Mandarins?

Thanks

Steve
Old 08/12/2005, 09:12 AM
the cow flys at dawn

they will eat different kinds of isopods, amphipods, crabs, worms, brine shrimp, mysis (with some effort) formula1 and formula 2 pellets

the problem of course is using the example isopods, some are small food items, some are small and the mandarins dont care. and some will outgrow the mandarin, and eat YOU.
Old 08/12/2005, 10:26 AM
Premium Member

I've har a lot of luck getting mind to eat frozen. For me at least, the trick seems to be supplimenting with bbs for a few months while they learn, and offering frozen mysis and cyclopeze. My pair are now gluttons for frozen, and will eat nearly everything I put in the tank.
Old 08/12/2005, 11:14 AM
Premium Member

Actually, most isopods in aquaria are herbivious. And there are parasitic and predatory species of amphipods and copepods as well.
Old 08/12/2005, 03:11 PM
Premium Member

Folks,

thanks for the responses. I have just got a delivery of pods from IPSF.com so am looking forward to growing these on.

Will let you know how it goes.

Steve
Old 08/12/2005, 03:51 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FishGrrl
Are you trying to feed an adult mandarin, or fry? If an adult mandarin, pelagic copepods are unnecessary and probably won't be eaten anyway.

Benthic copepods (harpactacoids) will eat pretty much anything. You could use flake food if you like. The sticky thread at the top of this forum links to an article on how to raise benthic copepods. I would say if you want to use something like flake food, then just sprinkle a little every day.
I agree 100%with that.They can be raised in trays without aeration.But don´t waste your money purchasing harp.benthic pods They are found in every tank,especially in the filters.
Old 08/12/2005, 04:14 PM
Premium Member

Luis,

How do you breed them in trays without aeration? I would love to see any pics that you have on this.

Thanks

Steve
Old 08/13/2005, 04:33 PM
Premium Member

No pics.I used photography developing trays because they have a convenient pouring corner,but any tray will do.I kept several and sprinkled some Tetramin daily.When good numbers were reached,I simply poured out the water and refilled with new water.Enough pods remain cling to the tray to start a new culture.Nothing more simple.

But harp.benthic pods are only good for mandarins.I don´t know of any other use for them.
Old 08/14/2005, 10:06 AM
stop the insults, please

Was topoff a pain with the long and wide shallow trays?
Old 08/14/2005, 01:38 PM
Premium Member

Luis,

Thanks for the info. Out of curiosity, can you describe your trays. Did you just have the saltwater and then fed then every day or did you have algae in there too.

Thanks

Steve
Old 08/14/2005, 08:22 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by discocarp
Was topoff a pain with the long and wide shallow trays?
Topoff water?Never had to.They reach harvest nubers soon and all water is renewed.
No algae.Harp pods are scavengers and eat anything.Tetramin flakes were found practical.
Old 08/14/2005, 08:53 PM
the cow flys at dawn

any gunk from the bottom of or filters of algae setups work well also.
Old 08/15/2005, 03:50 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for all the input guys. I will start this straight away.

Steve