Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/29/2005, 05:11 PM
Registered Member

Coffee filter will work fine.
Old 07/29/2005, 09:53 PM
Moved On

Did the water change. Siphoned the bottom of the tank removing all the junk--its amazing how much!

I filtered my display tank water thru the coffee filter and then adjusted the salinity and pH to match the larval tank. It was already the right temperature. I also measured ammonia and nitrite. O in the display water, 1.5 in the larval tank for ammonia. there was some nitrite, more than the display water. I lost my color card for nitrite, but I know it should be yellow if it is 0, and it was orange in the larval tank.

With only 2 left, I had 15 minutes of panic when I couldn't find one. Then he showed up, all round bellied and cute. They seem larger today, and their shape is more peanut than triangle.

I know it is likely I'll lose them, but I am going to milk this for all its worth.

Cheers,
Kathy
Old 07/30/2005, 12:18 PM
Moved On

They both survived the night. They are not making a dent in the rotifer population, so I just fed the tank phyto, to keep the rotifers nutritious. The concentration of rotifers in the tank is 15-20 per ml. I may take some out...

Later, one of them started acting psychotic, swimming in circles near the bottom. Then it died....

Still have one. He is facing the wall, though. Not swimming around. I don't have my hopes up, although he is still round bellied.
Old 08/02/2005, 07:39 AM
Moved On

All gone now. Waiting for the next batch.
Old 08/05/2005, 07:25 PM
Moved On

Just got word that the clowns have spawned.

Time to get ready for the second attempt!!!

I am so excited!
Old 08/05/2005, 08:03 PM
Reef Central Sponsor

Keep your chin up Kathy! It's more difficult than it seems. You will get the hang of it. There is a delicate balance during the larval stages.
Old 08/06/2005, 05:55 AM
Premium Member

kathy,

Good luck, an chance of pictures please. am currently looking into starting soemthing similar.

Thanks

Steve
Old 08/23/2005, 03:14 PM
Moved On

sorry not to keep you updated. The eggs in my friend's tank hatched a day early. Parents got them. I tried to raise the remaining ones, a couple hatched, but all died. Waiting for the third spawning...

I will try to take and post pictures in a new thread.
Cheers,
Kathy
Old 08/25/2005, 07:42 AM
Registered Member

You'll get it soon enough. Best of luck! I'm going to follow your posts and see if any of it helps my adventures to come. My pair seems to be ready to spawn to I want to make sure I can grab the eggs before anyone eats them and move them over to the nursery tank. I'm so glad the Internet is around to help in case any issues come up along the way...could spare a lot of fishes lives.

Good luck again!
Old 08/25/2005, 07:46 AM
Premium Member

Waiting for news. Please link your new post here too so that I can then subscribe to the new thread.

I cannot wait to get my breeding system going.

Am already experimenting with growing pods and rots. So far so good. Trying to get the rot population beyond 1 gallon.

Steve