Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/24/2005, 11:55 AM

Would like to try breeding soon...what species would be a good start?

I'd like to (by the end of the year) try my hand in breeding fish. I've read quite a bit about clownfish breeding and have had a little time to research what information is available on bangaii cardinalfish and a few species of dottybacks.

I realize that fish breeding is a difficult task no matter what species, but was curious if anyone could suggest one for a beginner. Bangaiis are at the top of my list right now. Other suggestions?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
billpa
Old 08/24/2005, 01:44 PM
Registered Member

hey billpa! why don't you try some gobies so we can get the NCPARS club hooked up at the fall swap!
Old 08/24/2005, 02:21 PM

Yeah if I started today and was successful on my first try...maybe I never considered gobies. Which species have breeders been successful with?

bill
Old 08/24/2005, 05:27 PM
Registered Member

Go with the basics and get that down- clownfish. Bangaii's are not really challenging enough, they do all the work & you just watch. Of course it is fun to raise them but not all that educational. OTOH you don't want so great a challenge (dottybacks, neon gobies) that you get frustrated. Oscellaris clowns are a good place to start IMO- very doable but it does take some effort & dedication. Also, should you do well, they are EASY to get rid of (sell)
Old 08/24/2005, 06:01 PM
Fish Yenta

Pick the fish you love and WANT to breed. Otherwise it's just work!
Old 08/24/2005, 06:59 PM

David...thanks for the suggestions. False Percs was my next choice.

Nicole...I love all fish If I could breed any fish, I would be very happy

Thanks!
Bill
Old 08/24/2005, 07:30 PM
Registered Member

so many fish...so few tanks
Old 08/25/2005, 07:08 AM
Registered Member

I say get Bangaii because they handle it themselves and as David said also get a pair of ORANGE Ocellaris.
Old 08/25/2005, 07:41 AM

Yeah Im leaning towards Bangaii. I figure if I start with one of the easier species, I have more of a chance of being successful

Does anybody have any websites that they could direct me to on Bangaii Breeding? I have several bookmarked but Im sure Ive missed some. Any books out there as well?

Orange ocellaris...curious what other ocellaris there are? Black/Onyx? Are they harder to breed?
Old 08/25/2005, 07:46 AM
Registered Member

Black oscellaris have been known to give a headache or two during the spawning process...or getting to the spawning, that is.

Good luck and be sure to keep us updated on our experience and progress!
Old 08/25/2005, 08:00 AM
Registered Member

I would get your clown pair soon as you will be waiting a year for your first spawn. Bangaii information is readily available on this site and on google. No books that I know of though. Lastly, there are black ocellaris and as said above they are a pain and can take 2-3 years to get spawning. Once spawning, unless you are lucky like me, they seem to be sporadic at best. My pair spawned within a year of purchase and spawn every 12 days, so there is hope, but overwhelming information to the contrary should steer you away for them as a starter pair.
Old 08/25/2005, 09:56 AM

I had a pair of orange ocellaris. Unfortunately my male died at the end of last year so only my female remains. She was moved into my current tank...a 180g reef. I am planning on adding a male in the next month or so in hopes that they will pair up and maybe start mating in a year or so. Before then, Im looking to setup a breeding setup so I can pull them from my display tank.

Ive been doing quite a bit of researching on RC today. Im curious what would be a good parent tank. 40g breeder? I'd like to keep a few additional tanks for raising fry (I have an old nanocube sitting in my office) and to temporarily house a resting male. Hopefully I can plumb them all top to bottom (minus the fry tank) and have them overflow into eachother. Any ideas?

Thanks
billpa