Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/11/2005, 09:03 AM
Registered Member

Diy Uv ?

UV units are expensive, any DIY ideas out there? Seems to me with the new pc UV lamps the wiring is easy enough, a Workhorse 5 will drive 2 X 55 watt. But do those pc lamps produce the right light? Why is the quartz sleeve necessary? I'm thinking of a raceway just as wide as the lamps and maybe 3/4 to 1" deep, lamps are directly over the water maybe sitting on eggcrate. Simple enough to build & a fraction the price of a 110 watt UV, but will it work?
Old 08/11/2005, 11:08 AM
Registered Member

maybe you need to post in the Diy forums? unless you want to breed uv sterilizers?

"What do you mean there is no such thing as the Money Tree?"
Old 08/11/2005, 11:43 AM
Registered Member

I did smart arse Take this as a compliment, I find the most advanced and valuable information is available in this forum no matter what the question, so I often double post oddball stuff like this.
Old 08/11/2005, 12:44 PM
the cow flys at dawn

hehehehe

the right uv light is not safe for human eyes, nor skin

additionally the quarts sleeve functions in 2 ways 1 it protects the hot bulb which should be as close to the water as you can get and 2 IT MUST NOT block or alter the light.

im not exactly clear which pc bulb your talking bout, but once you get the right UV bulb your set.
Old 08/11/2005, 12:45 PM
the cow flys at dawn

btw i made one of mine out of "replacement" bulbs and a rubbermade container. the rubbermade is holding up to the UV ok, but it wont last as long as if there was no UV
Old 08/11/2005, 02:10 PM
Registered Member

Hi,

The quartz sleeve protec the bulb from direct contact with the water, this way the bulb run at higher temp producing the most amount of uv light. Without the sleeve it runs at a reduced temp and the uv output is reduced.
I have made some units. You can find the quartz tubes in lab suplies shops. Use a 2 inch pvc pipe, 2 tees and a stuff called prensa-cabo in portuguese, its a piece that has a male tread on one side and a rubber o-ring that it pressed against the quartz tube making it water proof, the same stuff found on RainbowLifegard units.
The lamps can also be bought at lab suplies shops, here in Brazil its much cheaper then the aquarium bulbs.
Chico
Old 08/11/2005, 02:19 PM
Registered Member

Sorry David didn't mean to be an arse

"What do you mean there is no such thing as the Money Tree?"
Old 08/11/2005, 02:19 PM
Registered Member

Rsman idea sounds great, the lamp in a container with water flowing under it, keep in mind the deeper the water the less effective.

Bon dia Chico,

Your idea sounds good using pvc and the prensa cabo, or compression fitting. I make all my filters out of PVC.

David check with pentair aquatics they sell all replacement parts for their UVs, ballasts, bulbs, fittings.... all you need is a housing.

Quote:
I did smart arse Take this as a compliment, I find the most advanced and valuable information is available in this forum no matter what the question, so I often double post oddball stuff like this.
I almost peed my pants!

Most of the breeders here are former or current reef aquarists, it takes a lot of knowledge to get the water quality and enviroment to get fish to breed.

FBF rocks!

Ed
Old 08/11/2005, 02:28 PM
Registered Member

Bon dia edgar,

I use the compression fitting (thanks) pressing the quartz tube, so the bulb is free for removal without having to disconect the water line. A good idea is also to use two smaller compression fittings 1/4 inch with two plastic rods conected to a neoprene ring inside the pipe, around the quartz tube, so every few days one can pull and push the rods making the neoprene ring clean the quartz tube, this way the tube is always clean and uv reaching the water is maximum.
Chico
Old 08/11/2005, 09:53 PM
the cow flys at dawn

the rubbermade container i used is one of those designed for under the bed storage, the water is no thicker than 1/2" in any area, its got ribs water flows across the length of the bulb, over the ribs where the bulb is positioned. contact time seems to be way increased this way without sacrificing the flow rate at least i think i dont have much to test with except my experiences DIYing
Old 08/12/2005, 03:43 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chico_andrade
Bon dia edgar,

What language are you guys creating?
I´ll give you a list of official choices
Buen dia-spanish
bom dia-portuguese
buon giorno-italian
bon jour-french
good morning-english
guten Tag-german

You sound like a misbarred hybrid slang
Old 08/12/2005, 03:52 PM
Registered Member

I don't know Luis , had a brazilian girlfriend once, she said bon dia...never wrote to me

Envia el mensaje ya vacie el inbox de RC.

Ed
Old 08/13/2005, 07:15 AM
Registered Member

Hi,
This is portuguese with a spanish acent, or like we say here it´s portunhol ( portugues + espanhol).
Chico
Old 08/13/2005, 09:00 AM
Registered Member

Stop confusing me will 'ya ? I'm having enough trouble just trying to learn a little Spanish Portunhol ***
Old 08/13/2005, 09:01 AM
Registered Member

Boy, RC is strict. Can't even use "w", "t" and "f" together
Old 08/13/2005, 03:49 PM
Premium Member

Sorry guys,didn´t mean to hijack the thread,just cast some humor

Bringing it back,an UV without a quartz sleeve is admittedly a little less efficient,but much easier and cheaper to build as a diy project.

It is only a matter of closing a pvc pipe with two endcaps and drill both caps so a T5 UV lamp can fit thru and be sealed in place with silicone glue.Then two bearded hose connectors can be threaded/glued.To replace the bulb,the silicone must be cut out.
Old 08/13/2005, 08:34 PM
Registered Member

Are you saying the water is in direct contact with the lamp???? That's EASY, won't the lamp shatter? Why would the quartz sleeve be better?
Old 08/14/2005, 01:22 AM
the cow flys at dawn

its only better from a construction standpoint, the sleve can be made waterproof, its non electrical, and the material does not harm the light itself(much). it can be made thick so it will withstand both the temp swings and the minor pressure it might be installed with. and to protect the tank itself from the bulb & electricity if it was to break.

as for a shattered bulb, it depends on construction. glass shatters from temp when there is a rapid change, there wont be a rapid change when the bulb is covered by water rapidly moving water. however that doesnt rule out breakage from other things like general stupidity and without some kind of seperator when the bulb breaks something is going into your tank, hopefully not electricity.
Old 08/14/2005, 01:23 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by David M
Are you saying the water is in direct contact with the lamp???? That's EASY, won't the lamp shatter? Why would the quartz sleeve be better?
Right.The lamp will run cooler,and because of that,it´s UV output will be a little less efficient.There are (cheaper) commercial UVs that are run like this,w/o the sleeve.The lamp won´t shatter unless you turn it on dry and then fill it with cold water.
Old 08/14/2005, 11:36 AM
Registered Member

How "deep" should the water around the lamp be? IOW if a T-5 lamp was used (5/8") what size pvc, 2" ?
Old 08/14/2005, 08:05 PM
Premium Member

2" is fine.You can use an extra pair of endcaps to protect the sockets from moisture and eyes from the light of the lamp ends.
Old 08/15/2005, 06:51 PM
Registered Member

David,

Check this site out...read the UV information part....

http://www.aquatechnology.net/Ultraviolet_systems.html