Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > SCUBA/Snorkeling

Old 12/17/2006, 02:18 AM
Registered Member

If anybody gets the chance, I would recommend trying rebreather diving. After over 15,000 scuba dives, scuba began to get a little boring. My rebreather made diving fun again.
Old 12/17/2006, 04:25 AM
Registered Member

feedive43, does your post have anything to do with this thread or are you just trying to brag about diving a lot and getting a rebreather?
Old 12/17/2006, 01:27 PM
Registered Member

actually I just checked out your other posts. you do seam really arogant.

I can't believe you think when you find a new species someone is going to pay YOU to name it after them. did you ever take a science class? scientist give scientific names not cocky divers.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...75#post7661975
Old 12/17/2006, 05:31 PM
10 & Over Club

This is better as a post of it's own

fisherette,

While you are entitled to your opinion, please try and post in a manner that isn't conducive to a potential flame war.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 12/17/2006, 08:03 PM
Registered Member

I have no idea why you would just throw that post out there.
Most people that post here are rec. divers. Most have never heard of a rebreather let alone would have the need or reason to use one.

You need to do some very serious diving way outside the limits of rec. diving to justify the cost, risk, and maintance of a rebreather.

Anyway what kind of rebreather are you using?
Old 12/17/2006, 08:13 PM
10 & Over Club

fppf,

Rebreathers are starting to make inroads into rec diving for the last few years, especially with the underwater photography crowd. They require yet another level of training and are on the expensive side. Not anything I'll be investing in anytime soon

Old 12/17/2006, 08:27 PM
Registered Member

I would not say that they are making it into rec diving.
The guy that just use a rebreather for taking photo's most likely will have 10 times the cost of the rebreather in camera gear.
Old 12/18/2006, 04:18 PM
Registered Member

http://scubadiving.com/article3099

I would love to try a rebreather. just be careful with it!
Old 12/19/2006, 04:14 AM
Registered Member

sorry billsreef, I don't mean to start a war but I just thought he was totally out of line. By you making a new thread for it I guess proves my point.

fppf rebreathers are expensive I think a closed circuit one will run you about 10 or 15 thousand. I think the reason he put the post out there is to brag and make people feel like their rec. dives are lame.
Old 12/19/2006, 07:45 AM
10 & Over Club

IIRC the semi open circuit rebreathers can be found for around $1500 to $2000. Same sort of pricing as some underwater housings for SLR camera's, and that's not even considering the strobes yet

BTW I'm still looking for a cheap hobby

Old 12/19/2006, 09:02 AM
Registered Member

I'm very aware of what a rebreather is, costs, and how they work.
My wife and I where looking at them to extended our gas milage and for photography.

I have not been able to find a SCR "Semi Closed Circuit" rebreather for less than $5,000.
Old 12/21/2006, 01:36 AM
Registered Member

Fisherette, not everyone on RC is a novice diver. If you feel as though my opinions erode your self-confidence and detract from the satisfaction you find in doing whatever it is that you do, that is not my intent. Rebreathers are making inroads into the recreational dive community, now more than ever. In Florida, divers with a PADI open water cert card can rent and dive a closed circuit rebreather with a little training. Semi-closed rebreathers are avaliable for intro dives also (the drager ray and dolphin retail from between $1000 to $2000). The benefit of rebreathers for underwater photography is immense. As far as my post about allowing a high bidder the chance to name a new species -- I see nothing wrong with that. To qualify as a new species, the specimen would have to be collected, categorized and studied to meet the demands of the current scientific community. Would it be better to follow the scientific trend and name it after myself or a co-worker? What's more arrogant, that or allowing a dedicated hobbyist the chance of a lifetime? There are more than enough obscure Latin monikers out there already. And besides, the current bid is already $20,000.
Old 12/21/2006, 03:27 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by freedive43
Fisherette, not everyone on RC is a novice diver. If you feel as though my opinions erode your self-confidence and detract from the satisfaction you find in doing whatever it is that you do, that is not my intent.
Wow, is that some sort of a "I'm sorry"?

Please, drop the condescending attitude. Before your post was taken off of its original thread (because it did not belong) people were talking about how they enjoy scuba and the basics of scuba safety. Most of the people on RC are Recreational divers with less that 2 dives per year (if we are lucky). So yes, I do think you were trying to detract from our satisfaction of diving by saying it is boring.
If rebreathers are making such an inroad to recreational diving why don't we do a poll to see how many of the thousands of members here at reef central have ever used them. I know of maybe 2 or 3, and they are in the diving industry. Mainstream? Not even close.

Centropyge fisherettei. I like the sound of that, but is it not just another obscure moniker?
Old 12/21/2006, 07:37 AM
10 & Over Club

freedive,

That one sentance earns you a warning. We like to try and keep discussions from going down the path of personal affronts and keep discussions civil. Please keep that in mind.

Old 12/23/2006, 02:28 AM
Registered Member

Although the moderation in this thread seems a bit lopsided I guess there's nothing that I can do about that. However, it seems to me as thought his whole discussion began with Fisherett's personal affront against my comment that for myself, "rebreathers made diving fun again." I am not passing judgement on anyone else's hobby but I do feel offended that after investing countless hours and resources into obtaining the proper rebreather equipment and training and sharing my newly discovered stoke with those who care to listen, I am labeled as "cocky" and "arrogant." It seems as though this thread has already gotton far too personal and while I do appreciate DizziDezi2's enthusiasm I do not see any benefits in continuing this thread as it hardly seemed to be a "civil discussion" from the get go.
Old 12/23/2006, 08:27 AM
10 & Over Club

Quote:
Originally posted by freedive43
Although the moderation in this thread seems a bit lopsided I guess there's nothing that I can do about that.
Hmm, first I warn one person for an attitude, then the other steps in afterwards with an attitude of thier own and gets warned about it. Seems pretty even handed and fair to me. The same rules apply to all.

This could be a good discussion on rebreathers, but that attitude, from all parties, needs to go away for that to happen.

Old 12/23/2006, 10:04 PM
Registered Member

yes reabreater diving is fun, however is is definatly not for everyone.

and about the 2 dives per year if were lucky thing, although that may be the case for you and some others it is not the case for all.
Old 12/23/2006, 10:37 PM
Premium Member

This has got to be one of the weirdest threads I have ever read on RC. I thought at first that Freedive and Fisherette were just friends bantering with each other. But both of you are really a piece of work, Fisherette I have no idea why you were bothered by his initial post, whats wrong with someone coming on the Forum and talking about something as cool as that. Freedive the only thing I don't like is the Naming of new finds to the highest bidder, ugh thats horrible from any standpoint. It surprises me that anybody would want to buy the name, it's like buying an Olympic Medal or superbowl ring. Then your boasting about the Cash your making. Let me not even go there, Im shocked Bill was nice enough not to use the Ban Stick, must be Christmas Spirit or a Budwieser impairing his Judgement
Old 12/25/2006, 09:49 PM
Premium Member

Closed circuit rebreather diving is a different skill set than open circuit diving or even semi-closed circuit diving. I certainly think that for the average diver it is a skill set that is not going to be acquired because of the different kinds of risks it entails and the extensive training required to mitigate those risks.

That said, with proper training and equipment it does change the diving experience and does allow photography that is difficult if not impossible on open circuit.

Recreational diving discourages decompression diving whereas most closed circuit divers do so because of the depths that are possible with this equipment. Remember that the tables (or computers which implicitly use those tables) are dealing with averages. Rebreathers allow different kinds of diving but do so with greater implicit risk.

~Steve~
Old 01/01/2007, 06:33 PM
Registered Member

I have two and love them for shooting photos and long dives no deco usually
Old 01/06/2007, 02:08 PM
will work for fish food!

I was really hoping this thread would have had more info on rebreathers.
Oh well, the peeing contest was interesting!?