Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers

Old 11/01/2006, 06:29 PM
Registered Member

It amazes me how the liberals in this country who go out of their way pretending to be so PC, and claim to be so understanding and tolerant, will be the first ones to call somebody from the south a dumb redneck if they disagree with their policies.
Old 11/01/2006, 10:40 PM
Registered Member

I doubt anyone here would really come into my home and and say Jap corals if they knew it was offensive.
no one said jap corals they abbrviated japanese as jap. so if they came to your home and said what was typed it would be japenese corals. do u really live in AZ or is that Arizona please help im confused. what a joke.
Old 11/01/2006, 10:56 PM
Registered Member

last year i was talking to my grandmother who is 80 sum years old. she likes to tell me stories of when she was younger. she starts telling me about this "jap" guy she met and fell in love with when she was young. How if he wouldnt of moved away she would of married him. Do you really think she used that word out of hatred. would you of told her how out of line she was using that word. intent is everything. yes she really did tell me this story im not just making this up to argue. no i dont go around calling people jap because if i used that word i would be using it to put someone down.
Old 11/02/2006, 01:11 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jamielind
[B Do you really think she used that word out of hatred. would you of told her how out of line she was using that word. intent is everything. [/B]
She is not saying that word out of hatred obviously, just reflecting the prejudice of the times she grew up in.
If she started calling black people the "N" word in public because that was the word they used back when she was young, do you think that would still be o.k. Her intent would not be to offend anyone but it obviously would.

Last edited by redFishblue; 11/02/2006 at 01:56 AM.
Old 11/02/2006, 01:43 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RichConley
Its offensive when a white person says it because its assumed that his intent is to degrade a black person.
You're right, his intent would not really matter, it would just be assumed as offensive. A white person would usually refrain from using the N word so he would not be misconstrued. It would be nice to extend that policy to another offensive word.

Quote:
FLiger, the internet makes things different. If I refrain from using words that might offend someone, I'm limited to about six words.
Just curious as to what other words you would be unable to use once you go down the slippery slope of being PC?
Old 11/02/2006, 02:05 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jamielind
no one said jap corals they abbrviated japanese as jap. so if they came to your home and said what was typed it would be japenese corals.
That is exactly the point. Jap used as an abbreviation for Japanese has long been considered deragatory.
Old 11/02/2006, 10:01 AM
Hydrophilic

why dont we just skip it all and be exact.
Ive got a Trachyphyllia sp from 24*03'N 131*25'E

Have Some Personal Accountability
Old 11/02/2006, 12:20 PM
Registered Member

You wouldn't say "nip" corals, would you?
Well, "nip" is just short for Nippon, which is actually another name for Japan.
I have always thought the word "jap" is inappropriate.
Old 11/02/2006, 12:25 PM
Registered Member

People keep talking about intent, if you are not intending to be racial that means you aren't, right?
That's fine, but people can and will get offended.
If I started to talk about black people by calling them 'nig___' just because I was lazy to say "black american" (or what have you) then I might not be a racist but I would be an insensitive as__le.
Get it?

Oh, but my intent wasn't to offend anyone, get over it!!!

It's about sensitivity. Some people are sensitive to the effects they may have on others and they take that into consideration when going about their business, some people aren't. We usually have names for people who are totally insensitive of others.
ie;
-people who stand on the left side of the escalator, I'm sure their intent isn't to **** me off, but they do!
-people who drive slowly in the left lane, I'm sure their intent isn't to **** me off, but they do!
-people who talk really loud on their cell phone on the bus, I'm sure their intent isn't to **** everyone off, but they do!

Sensitivity, get some.
Old 11/02/2006, 04:44 PM
Registered Member

I was born in Europe. After some 40 years of living in USA I've learned this much. Unlike in Japan and many other Asian cultures, politeness is not an inherent characteristic of the American culture. On this side of the continent people tend to develop "thicker skins" and less appreciation for the art of politeness. For the mature, educated folks it takes very little more effort to say jpn instead of jap.
12gl Aquapod
New "custom euro" 90 gallon under construction!
Old 11/02/2006, 05:45 PM
Flowalicious

Quote:
Originally posted by redFishblue
You're right, his intent would not really matter, it would just be assumed as offensive. A white person would usually refrain from using the N word so he would not be misconstrued. It would be nice to extend that policy to another offensive word.

Just curious as to what other words you would be unable to use once you go down the slippery slope of being PC?
Well, lets see, I could be offended by the use of the words white, bleached, lightened, faded, etc, as they all refer to things with light color being negative. I could even say RTN is a racial slur, as it used to talk about things becoming white, and used in a very negative way.

Now, you all realize I'm being silly, but its relevant. If we say that saying anything that offends someone needs to not be said, then theres nothing to say, because pretty much any oppinion you give will offend someone.

I call my friend Chuck a ch*nk. Hes chinese. He doesnt get ****ed off... why? Because theres no bad intent. He calls himself a ch*nk for gods sake. The problem is, it seems like people are looking for a reason to get offended.

If you dont like the term, fine, dont use it, but if its not intended to be offensive, or to offend, you need to chill out. I'm sure I get called a Mick a whole lot more than you get called a Jap, and its just as offensive. I just dont get offended, because its not worth it, and generally, people aren't trying to degrade you.
Old 11/02/2006, 07:17 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by smp
You wouldn't say "nip" corals, would you?
Yes, everytime I speak about Centropyge angelfish.

I couldn't resist.
Old 11/02/2006, 08:28 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Now, you all realize I'm being silly, but its relevant. If we say that saying anything that offends someone needs to not be said, then theres nothing to say, because pretty much any oppinion you give will offend someone.
The word Jap being a deragatory term is not just some opinion that I formulated in my own head as it would be if a white person decides to be offended by "RTN". It is widely recognized as a deragatory term in the real world even if you don't.
I agree that we cannot tiptoe around the sensitivities of every individual person we come across, but when a word or action is readily known as offensive to a large group of fellow Americans, it would be cool to refrain instead of just telling them to chill out. That is what a civil society is.

Btw, it cool that you and your Chinese friend get along so well. That one thing great about this country, most people of various backgrounds get along compared to other countries with a lot more segregation.

Quote:
.I'm sure I get called a Mick a whole lot more ... I just dont get offended, because its not worth it, and generally, people aren't trying to degrade you.
You're right that it is not worth it to get offended, but when I've been called a chink by strangers, it has always been to degrade.

Last edited by redFishblue; 11/02/2006 at 09:12 PM.
Old 11/03/2006, 01:04 AM
I read your email

i love how using the word Jap is "not pc" but you don't here us complaining when someone says "whitey".

edit: I also wanted to point out that you say "black american". Why is that? Why not just black, or american?

You don't see people calling white people "European Americans" do you? You are caught up in the brain washed stigma that anyone other than "whitey" needs to have their cultural origin infront of "American"

You can be african, you can be european, you can be korean you can be mexican and you can be AMERICAN. Everyone get off your color bandwagon. The day you stop seeing color and start seeing people, will make you a better person.

If you keep crying about the word jap or wetback or nip or god forbid the socially acceptable term "whitey or cracker" you just propetuate the cycle. One of these days you will realize that if you don't acknowledge people who use those terms it will go away. It's like giving into your 3 yr old at the store, and buying him something to make him stop crying.

Have a little be higher moral ground and get over it.

"Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order." --Ed Howdershelt

Last edited by soni; 11/03/2006 at 01:15 AM.
Old 11/03/2006, 06:17 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by soni

edit: I also wanted to point out that you say "black american". Why is that? Why not just black, or american?

You don't see people calling white people "European Americans" do you? You are caught up in the brain washed stigma that anyone other than "whitey" needs to have their cultural origin infront of "American"

You can be african, you can be european, you can be korean you can be mexican and you can be AMERICAN. Everyone get off your color bandwagon. The day you stop seeing color and start seeing people, will make you a better person.
Theodore Roosevelt said it best:
"There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1919

I know that seems like a harsh quote, but it is the truth. Everyone in this country is an American...not Irish/American, not Japanese/American, not African/American, etc. The day people realize that and not care about the stupid words that were used in the past to degrade their people is the day that this counrty will be a more peaceful place. I don't see that ever happening though.
Old 11/03/2006, 12:54 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by smcnally
Theodore Roosevelt said it best:
"There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1919

I know that seems like a harsh quote, but it is the truth. Everyone in this country is an American...not Irish/American, not Japanese/American, not African/American, etc. The day people realize that and not care about the stupid words that were used in the past to degrade their people is the day that this counrty will be a more peaceful place. I don't see that ever happening though.
Welcome to the internet, not just in the U.S.A anymore

This goes back to my original point, it doesn't matter what you and your kin feel is appropriate because there are people who are EXTERNAL to your world.
If one doesn't take into account that there are perspectives other than their own, it makes one an arrogant as___le.
Old 11/03/2006, 01:44 PM
Waste Management

Quote:
Originally posted by soni

If you keep crying about the word jap or wetback or nip or god forbid the socially acceptable term "whitey or cracker" you just propetuate the cycle. One of these days you will realize that if you don't acknowledge people who use those terms it will go away. It's like giving into your 3 yr old at the store, and buying him something to make him stop crying.
That is probably the most intelegent statement made on this thread. You people (Humanbeings) need to grow up.
Old 11/03/2006, 02:43 PM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

It seems like more than half the posts on here don't even address the real question. Most are so far off-topic they don't even warrant responses. But I agree the "intelligent" statement is true ...

"One of these days you will realize that if you don't acknowledge people who use those terms it will go away."

but it more goes along the lines of what many others on this thread have said. If you say we shouldn't acknowledge those people - you're basically acknowledging that the term is foul. No one who's used it meant it in a bad way and most of us Americans of Asian decent know this - but the original question was whether its an appropriate description. I and several others see the term all the time and AFAIK this is the first time its been asked ... so we answered with our opinions and the way we felt. IMO most of the people who have used it are reefing buddies, good people who I just felt used an inappropriate term so no big deal. Just answering the original post. I'm plenty grow'd up.

I guess being an American born overseas to a US veteran in the middle of an Asian/US war gives me a different opinion on what it takes to be a good, responsible citizen. Courtesy ranks up there.

The original question was whether Jap is a racial slur, and it is. I doubt any of you would walk up to a Japanese person say, "Man I really love my jap car". Actually by the sounds of things, maybe you would. Education and compassion are wonderful things, too bad they're not stressed too much in the US.

Closed minds should come with closed mouths.
Old 11/03/2006, 03:00 PM
Waste Management

Quote:
Originally posted by Fliger
Education and compassion are wonderful things, too bad they're not stressed too much in the US.
They are Flinger, unfortunatly It only takes a few rotten apples to spoil a basket.
Old 11/03/2006, 03:03 PM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

You got that right (the bad apples part, at least).

Old 11/03/2006, 03:14 PM
Waste Management

Quote:
You got that right (the bad apples part, at least).
What do you mean at least? There are plenty of people with good upbringing who are brought up with great Education and compassion in the U.S.A. Are you throwing a blanket accusation that all Americans are uneducated & uncompasionate?
Old 11/03/2006, 03:28 PM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

No, that is not what I meant. Anything else I can think of to add would just come across as snide so I'll go back to being unsubscribed. I only came back because I've recieved a few PM's and emails thanking me for speaking up. Lots of acan snob friends also.

The horse is waaaaay dead!

Old 11/03/2006, 03:40 PM
Waste Management

Quote:
No, that is not what I meant. Anything else I can think of to add would just come across as snide so I'll go back to being unsubscribed.
It's unfortunate you can not tell us all what you really ment Flinger. Not sure why you would respond snidly to anything, as I have said nothing derogatory in your response? Have a great weekend
Old 11/03/2006, 03:48 PM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

OK, since you really want to know ... there is a certain irony in referring to intelligence when you can't even spell it. That is what I meant. If you are intelligent and compassionate, you proved the bad apple part.

All my weekends are wonderful, thank you. You too.

officially unsubscribed

Old 11/03/2006, 03:58 PM
Waste Management

Talking

Bravo finger, picking on a typo & officially unsubscribed for the 4th time.