Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/19/2006, 10:24 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Quote:
Originally posted by bluecarpet
Every team in college football has raw talent, but does that mean they are good?
"If the SC rookies are as good as the hype the only thing that is keeping them from performing is inexperience."

Does that say I think they are good. I really don't know yet. Given the right conditions a player with raw talent will be good.
Old 10/19/2006, 10:36 PM
Registered Member

every team in the country doesn't have the SAME raw talent, okay?

does idaho pull in kids with the same talent level as this years top 3 teams? umm...NO

Grim, I've got to disagree with you here though...
If OSU wins out, which would mean defeating Michigan, a likely no.2 team at the time (first time a no.1 team would do that since army in '45, and then they would play a third no.2 in NC) I don't think there is any way USC would pass them in the polls. Maybe the computer, but that is only 1/3 of the total BCS score, correct? Unless USC does something like beating those three tough teams by slaughtering them, like 45-3. I just don't see them taking no.1 away from OSU unless they lose...I mean they would have beaten two no.2 teams

why would you give michigan the top ranking? Because of their win against ND? OSU beat Texas easily, and I would definitely take texas against ND anyday. those are the marquee wins for both schools so far

But either way, at this point I think OSU and Mich should be the top two, followed by USC (even though they have looked like crap, they do win...)
Old 10/19/2006, 10:48 PM
living life 2 the fullest

Ok every team has RAW talent, its what the coaches do with that talent that makes the players special and the team.

Big Ten is a joke.

SEC is the real deal.
Old 10/19/2006, 10:58 PM
Registered Member

lol
you just don't understand do you?

how old are you by the way...

there are different levels of talent....

even before coaching gets involved

take this for instance...if we had the same track coach, you could NEVER beat me in the 400
Old 10/19/2006, 10:59 PM

You think USC doesn't know how to scout and land premium talent?

Auburn and Florida are 4 and 6 in the BCS but 7 and 9 in the harris and 7 and 10 in the coaches poll. The computers seem to make a large difference.

I am not convinced of how good Texas really is this year and they were the only strong opponent OSU has seen so far. I think it is a joke what the computers did to them BUT maybe the computers have it right. If Texas proves themselves against Nebraska and A&M then maybe I'll belive but for some reason OSU hasn't impressed me this year. Of course LSU did (impress me) and look where they are at?
Old 10/19/2006, 11:05 PM
Registered Member

lol

hmm...well i don't know how OSU hasn't impressed you this year, when they have given up the fewest points in the nation, and their D was supposed to be their weakness. granted, they havn't gone against offensive powerhouses every game, but that's still pretty freakin impressive. Best QB in the country. one of the top running backs, also undoubtedly one of the most underrated players, Antonio Pittman, backed up by Eddie George Jr., mr. Chris Wells. Then you've got two of the fastest and most dangerous players in the country, Touchdown Teddy, and the Oxygen Man, Gonzo. Then you throw in Rory Nicol, who if he had been their starting TE last year, they would have beat Texas.

I'm impressed
Old 10/19/2006, 11:05 PM
Registered Member

"gun control means never having to say I missed you"

LOL
Old 10/19/2006, 11:08 PM
living life 2 the fullest

Quote:
Originally posted by garvondavis14
lol
you just don't understand do you?

how old are you by the way...

there are different levels of talent....

even before coaching gets involved

take this for instance...if we had the same track coach, you could NEVER beat me in the 400
How fast do you run the 400? I know there are different levels of talent thats common sense, but everyone that makes it to D1 have a lot of raw talent. A star WR in high school may go to south carolina for example instead of going to UF lets say b/c that star wants playing time instead of sitting on the bench at UF. Heck that star may even go to OL miss if he wants game time that bad. Every team has RAW talent. I am not saying every team has awesome raw talent but just RAW talent. Do you understand?

Big Ten is a joke.

SEC is the real deal.
Old 10/19/2006, 11:11 PM

How Bout Boise State. Blue Carpet should love that team
Old 10/19/2006, 11:13 PM
Premium Member

Damn Grim,

Where do I Finish ??
Nobody is disputing that the computer polls are Stupid! I GAVE you that one.
But as YOU said, thats 1/3, Correct??

I asked YOU where does the Human coaches pole and harris pole place SC #1 over OSU or even MU???
Or is it over there in your world SC only needs 1/3 to make it to #1 in the BCS now??

Get real guy, as of right now, you dont have any more leg to stand on then Fla or Aub claiming a #1 BCS ranking.
Your betting on future wins, (That will probably be atleast 1-2 losses!) "raw talent" and the team geling by seasons end.

Well guess what man, all teams have raw talent and will continue to gel as the season goes on.

Quote:
I say if SC wins out and Ark, Nebraska, Cal, ND and Oregon all end up with no more than 2 loses then SC will jump OSU in the BCS. If Ark and Nebraska fall out of the top 20 then no way.
Thats a lot of IF's guy!

Quote:
And every game the team plays together is more time the coaching staff has to asess strengths and weaknesses and make adjustments for it. If the SC rookies are as good as the hype the only thing that is keeping them from performing is inexperience.
WHAT??
So now SoCal is the only team in the nation that can gain experience and ONLY the SC coaches can make asessments of weakness and strengths??

I guess the rest of us stupid teams across the country are in BIG trouble while we sit idle with our experience and let the mighty USC just keeps getting stronger...

Old 10/19/2006, 11:44 PM
Registered Member

:50

and that's on RAW TALENT lol stuck at a tiny crappy school, where i WAS the track team lol

yeah, do you like the broncos and their blue turf?
Old 10/20/2006, 01:40 AM
IllegitimiNonCarborundum

I really hope USC wins out so OSU can play them... all this talk reminds be of how OSU could never match up with Miami in 2002....
Old 10/20/2006, 02:31 AM
Registered Member

hey guys if you don't from me after sunday and cleveland browns stadium gets bombed, have a nice life, and root for the bucks for me lol

oh yeah, teach my fam how to run my aquarium lol
Old 10/20/2006, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Treg
Damn Grim,

Where do I Finish ??
Nobody is disputing that the computer polls are Stupid! I GAVE you that one.
But as YOU said, thats 1/3, Correct??

I asked YOU where does the Human coaches pole and harris pole place SC #1 over OSU or even MU???
Or is it over there in your world SC only needs 1/3 to make it to #1 in the BCS now??

Get real guy, as of right now, you dont have any more leg to stand on then Fla or Aub claiming a #1 BCS ranking.
Your betting on future wins, (That will probably be atleast 1-2 losses!) "raw talent" and the team geling by seasons end.

Well guess what man, all teams have raw talent and will continue to gel as the season goes on.

Thats a lot of IF's guy!

WHAT??
??

I guess the rest of us stupid teams across the country are in BIG trouble while we sit idle with our experience and let the mighty USC just keeps getting stronger...

You taking lessons from the rug?

I mean seriously. You are so far in left field here, probably sitting in the parking lot USC has a first year starter at QB and all 3 running back spots plus a few other offensive positions. As they get more games under them the SHOULD play better together. Where in the hell do you get "So now SoCal is the only team in the nation that can gain experience and ONLY the SC coaches can make asessments of weakness and strengths" from anything I said?

Of course there are a lot of ifs. We are talking what ifs here unless someone has a crystal ball. All I did was point out why I think SC has a shot at winning out. Why is that so hard for you to grasp? I have never said it would happen. Simply that their remaining schedule places them in a favorable position to pull it off (and this is a direct quote from my earlier post) IF THE ROOKIE PLAYERS LIVE UP TO THEIR HYPE.

How does SC jump OSU?

How does Auburn jump West Virginia when they are 7 in both human polls and WV is 4th? Texas is 5th in both human polls yet they drop to 9th in the BCS. The answer is in the average percentages.

Auburn is .721% in the Harris, 712 in the coaches and .810 in the CPU for an average of .748. WV is 878, 896 and 460 for a average of 745. Right now OSU has an average of .973, USC is .956 Don't take my word for it, here is the top ten teams with their rankings in the different rankings. Sorry if its a little hard to read, you cant format here.

Rk Team ///////W-L//// Harris////////Coaches ///CPU///% BCS

1 Ohio State / 7-0/ 1 2848 .999/ 1 1575 1.000 .920/// .973
2 USC///////// 6-0/ 3 2652 .931/ 2 1476 .937 1.000/// .956
3 Michigan//// 7-0/ 2 2663 .934/ 3 1430 .908 .960//// .934
4 Auburn ///// 6-1/ 7 2055 .721/ 7 1122 .712 .810//// .748
5 W Virginia/// 6-0/ 4 2502 .878/ 4 1411 .896 .460//// .745
6 Florida////// 6-1/ 9 1935 .679/10 1045 .663 .870//// .738
7 Louisville//// 6-0/ 6 2188 .768/ 6 1205 .765 .620//// .718
8 Notre Dame 5-1/ 10 1920 .674/ 8 1068 .678 .730//// .694
9 Texas/////// 6-1/ 5 2360 .828/ 5 1314 .834 .390//// .684
10 California/ 6-1/ 11 1772 .622/ 11 981 .623 .760//// .668

Damned computers anyway.
Old 10/20/2006, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DrBegalke
I really hope USC wins out so OSU can play them... all this talk reminds be of how OSU could never match up with Miami in 2002....
Ahhh, but have sen anyone say OSU couldn't take SC? I wouldn't say that. Hell I figured SC might flurt with the top 10 this year, so far the ride has been all gravy. I wouldn't mind seeing SC and the winner (or loser as the case may be) of OSU/Mich play, like old times in the rose bowl
Old 10/20/2006, 02:03 PM
Here comes the Gators

Quote:
God. type it right, that's not joking, either

but anyway, i better not respond to 55, he'll think i'm picking on him.

if osu goes undefeated, there is no way they will get jumped in the polls. even if usc goes undefeated. that would mean osu would have beaten the number 2 team in the country twice (well, who knows if michigan will be no.2 by then, but there's a good possibility, at least no. 3)

and so far their closest game has been to Texas, umm...17 points...that doesn't sound too bad to me anyway.

sorry can't help it..."Each game USC has been gaining experience?" umm... YES. you sure as hell don't become less experienced as you do something repeatedly. what kind of comment was that? not saying that they are greatly improving, but the are definitely becoming more experienced- please consult a dictionary.

i have a firm belief that OSU or michigan, whichever one of those two makes the national championship, will come out victorious.

ECE- yeah, some people out there must be retarded having georgia still in the rankings. of course it's the same people that like to rank miami and fsu super high every year even when everyone knows they suck.
Quote:
God. type it right, that's not joking, either
umm...okay.

You said USC has been gaining experience...sorry but they are gaining in experience in how to barley win a game. Look at their wins this year. Every game seems to be more diminishing than the previous. If they were truly gaining experience they be getting better, not worse. Or it could be that they havn't learned their lesson yet. I am sure a big "L" would. BTW garvondavis14, that "L" stands for loss just to let you know if you weren't catching on.

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

Anyone that thinks the SEC isn't the best conference is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 10/20/2006, 02:06 PM
Here comes the Gators

Quote:
:50

and that's on RAW TALENT lol stuck at a tiny crappy school, where i WAS the track team lol

yeah, do you like the broncos and their blue turf?
Look at his location. FLORIDA. Thats where he lives. Why would anyone in FL like Boise State? They suck just like USC.

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 10/20/2006, 02:22 PM
Registered Member

I would love to see any of OSU, UM, USC, WVU, Louisville play an SEC in the NC to stop the talk, but that will not happen. OSU or UM will be in the NC, and USC/WVU/Louisville will be in the NC. SEC will get their customary bowl game, whine about how there should be a playoff, whine about not being in the NC because the SEC is too hard, and then get caught not being such a great team by whoever they play (see last year).
Old 10/20/2006, 03:15 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
You taking lessons from the rug?

USC has a first year starter at QB and all 3 running back spots plus a few other offensive positions. As they get more games under them the SHOULD play better together. Where in the hell do you get "So now SoCal is the only team in the nation that can gain experience and ONLY the SC coaches can make asessments of weakness and strengths" from anything I said?

Of course there are a lot of ifs. We are talking what ifs here unless someone has a crystal ball. All I did was point out why I think SC has a shot at winning out. Why is that so hard for you to grasp? I have never said it would happen. Simply that their remaining schedule places them in a favorable position to pull it off (and this is a direct quote from my earlier post) IF THE ROOKIE PLAYERS LIVE UP TO THEIR HYPE.

Where do I get that?
Because you keep saying the same crap over and over!

Like I said, your banking on as many IFS as Fla and Aub.
Very few people (including myself now!) believe USC can even go undefeated. They have been playing like crap against crap teams. You seem to think they are going to get better... we'll they most likely will. MY point is so wont the teams they will be playing. Nobody in the nation is just going to sit by in idle. Everyone is improving, not just usc.

You think I'm in left filed? Get a grip man... I'm not the one saying SC should be or will be #1.

Theres only 2 teams that have the chance. Both being in the Big 10.
The computers are crap and no way are the coaches going to jump USC to #1 over the buckeyes the way we have been winning vs the way you have been winning...

As a matter of fact, you should feel lucky to just have and keep #2.

Grim =
Old 10/20/2006, 03:47 PM
Here comes the Gators

Quote:
Originally posted by Treg
Where do I get that?
Because you keep saying the same crap over and over!

Like I said, your banking on as many IFS as Fla and Aub.
Very few people (including myself now!) believe USC can even go undefeated. They have been playing like crap against crap teams. You seem to think they are going to get better... we'll they most likely will. MY point is so wont the teams they will be playing. Nobody in the nation is just going to sit by in idle. Everyone is improving, not just usc.

You think I'm in left filed? Get a grip man... I'm not the one saying SC should be or will be #1.

Theres only 2 teams that have the chance. Both being in the Big 10.
The computers are crap and no way are the coaches going to jump USC to #1 over the buckeyes the way we have been winning vs the way you have been winning...

As a matter of fact, you should feel lucky to just have and keep #2.

Grim =
Well said Treg even though I disagree about your opinions on the SEC.

Grim, your not as bright as you use to be. Maybe you need some individual relfectors over your brain to make you brighter.

Seriously though, USC is surviving each week. All the sport analysts are saying it and so am I. They have proved nothing to be in number two but the computers are on crack so what can I say?

Each week other teams are improving too, just like what Treg said. When USC gets to Oregon, Cal, or Notre Dame, I doubt they will pull through being 3/3 in wins. Its just not happening. Thats like saying OSU could beat FLA three times in a row. I am not joking on that either.

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 10/20/2006, 04:24 PM

Your slipping further into left field Treg,

Go back and READ my posts. I am doubtful USC is going undefeated, You can go back through the splits and try but you will not see where I ever seriously said SC would beat anyone nor win it all. It could happen, they are in a good position right now, ASSUMING they start playing consistantly. If they play like they did when they faced Ark and Nebraska I think can can win out. Notice I didn't say WILL.

Mypost from page 3

However, we (get that, I include myself in this) are all counting THE USC out too soon. They have Oregon State and Stanford for their upcomming games. If (Notice I didn't say when) they use these 2 gimmies to get their offensive act together they could win out.

Remaining games after the gimmies

Oregon which will probably end up 10-2 ranked in the top 20. Then Cal which would end up 10-2 ranked in the top 20. Then Notre Dame who would end up 10-2 ranked in the top 20.
Finish up with the win over rival UCLA who should be 7-5

Not only would USC make it into the big game I predict they would be BCS #1. (Is this what has your panties in such a wad? If so keep reading) There is a better chance of that happening than Florida making it to the big one. Maybe the sarcasm was lost on you here?

Of course they will lose to Stanford and blow my whole theory Yeah, this is the comment of someone claiming SC WILL win out

Another post from page 3

"I am not saying it will happen but it is very possible. SC has enough talent to win out this year IF, I'll say it again, IF they start playing consistantly."

Page 4

"Just remember, your heard it here first

Of course if USC's remaining opponents fall apart that might not hold up."

And another

"And every game the team plays together is more time the coaching staff has to asess strengths and weaknesses and make adjustments for it. If the SC rookies are as good as the hype the only thing that is keeping them from performing is inexperience.

I think your problem is you think I am saying THEY WILL win out. I hope they do, I think the raw talent is there and the conditions are favorable for them to pull it off. They have 2 games that should be a cake walk. Then they play 3 games against teams that progressivley get better although I am not sure if ND or Cal is the better team."

Where am I claiming the NC? (By the way, like most of you OSU fans have) Hell, I didn't even dispute it when someone said Arkansas would beat SC if they played now.
Old 10/20/2006, 04:54 PM

Oh,

And about #1.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying USC should jump OSU if they win out, I am saying they will. When I say "should" I mean it as in deserve it and I don't think they do. It just shows the computers have too much of an effect on the rankings. Using computers to remove the bias from the voting is a nice idea that doesn't work, they can't score lucky wins or blown calls.

It might be interesting to try to use the computers to weight the 2 human polls. Something like using a formula based on strength of schedule to multiply the score a team receives from the poll voters.
Old 10/20/2006, 07:38 PM
Registered Member

What are the odds that the BCS system will change significantly when the contract is up?

Since it's been around there's been wayyyyy too many disputes about a system that was supposed to end disputes. LSU/USC, Auburn getting left out, potentially this year, "weak conferences" still getting an automatic invite, the field being weighted for ND to end up in a BCS game, etc etc etc. Doubtful that it'll be a full-fledged playoff, but there's a good chance for some changes in the system when the contract's up (I think 2008).
Old 10/20/2006, 07:39 PM
Registered Member

but the thing is, even if usc finishes the season undefeated and beats osu in the computers, osu's computer rankings won't be low enough to get passed up...usc can pass wvu cuz they play a terrible schedule...osu does not
Old 10/20/2006, 07:40 PM
Registered Member

yeah, that crap with nd is stupid...they shouldn't be guaranteed crap