Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/28/2006, 12:46 PM
Premium Member

First of all, I believe we are arguing two separate matters. Originally, I thought the whole argument was about photoshopping pics of the micros. Clearly, this was not the case. I personally observed the micros in question and they were every bit as colorful as the pics had shown. As to the other matter of selling micros that have changed colors, I cannot comment on this as I have not seen the original colonies in over a year. I will say that Michael has never lied to me or mislead me. He's always been honest and forthright with me.
Old 07/28/2006, 01:42 PM
Registered Member

Can you post pics of your own frags, Sang?

Can you sell me that 2nd watermelon chalice frag you have, Sang?

Peace,

Chip
Old 07/28/2006, 01:48 PM
Premium Member

I'll try to take some pics once the lights come on later tonight. Is this what you want, Chip?
Old 07/28/2006, 02:56 PM
wears sex panther

I don't think anyone was arguing that they were originally photoshopped, just pictures of very stressed and bleached micros. The photoshop argument came in when arguing as to whether the pictures of the colonies currently would be unscrupulously altered to make them look like the originals, basically just paranoid musings at the beginning of the thread, but since neither Michael nor reeffarmers will provide any pictures whatsoever, it's a very moot point

There are no facts, only interpretations

-Nietzche
Old 07/28/2006, 03:10 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Maximus
I'll try to take some pics once the lights come on later tonight. Is this what you want, Chip?
Is that the baby one? I don't want to take your big frag.

Peace,

Chip
Old 07/28/2006, 05:58 PM
Goniopora Aficionado

Quote:
Originally posted by organism
I'm very much willing to bet though, that as they changed in your tank, they also changed in his, which is very much what has happened. I do not doubt that you saw fully colored colonies, but I do doubt that they were fully colored any longer than yours were, and advertising them as such after the fact is where the misrepresentation came in.
As he says below in his email to microbubbles, he has experimented with those colonies and sends out the ones under the vho's because that is what people are EXPECTING. Of course, the customers are expecting them to look like the advertised photos.

Quote:
Originally posted by microbubbles
i know what corals are in my tank, and i'm fully aware of the fact that colors change under different lighting schemes and different water parameters. i have experimented w/ all of these colonies in 3 different tanks in my home, and on several instances they have taken on personalities of their own. however, when returned to the tank with the vho's they have eventually regained their original coloration. and when i send them out, i send out the ones that sit under the vho's because that's what people are expecting. Mike Bae
Also, as microbubbles says in his post in this thread:
Quote:
Originally posted by microbubbles
I've been to Mike Be's house and I've seen these corals in person-
when I saw the pink floyd and pink lemonade, they were fully open and the colors looked pretty close to the ones on frags.og. he had them under purple vho's at the time, way up high in the rockwork.
"Way up high in the rockwork"..............what does this tell you?

When these things are put together, along with peoples testimony who bought some of the corals, it says that someone is purposely stressing the corals with their lighting to obtain some unnatural/unhealthy coloration and then turning around and selling them at a very high price as if they are a rare or exotic "limited edition" with a fancy name.

Old 07/28/2006, 06:32 PM
Registered Member

Since SniperSPS tanks crash, I wonder what the going rate of the Watermelon are going to be.
Old 07/28/2006, 06:57 PM
Moving Along

Well, 5 pages later,all kinds of poopoo slinging, a handfull of friend's vouchers but not one pic that can verify the corals true color to coraberate the one that was advertised. Not that I was holding my breath after seeing the pic that was advertised.

Hell, not even an unbiased stranger saying "heres my frag Ive had for over 3 months and it looks pretty damn close, see?"
I agree with the above post on how educational this is.And for maddness's post:, I dont know where its headed but the more I learn,the more sickend I become.Not to say there arent some stupendous people out there that are a real credit to both industry and hobby, but theyre definately only one side to that coin, unfortunately for me and you pal.

Sad part is it only takes one bad apple to ruin it for the bunch. This whole micromussa affair reaks of last years acan craze, and all the shady activities that went hand in hand with such crazes.

Has anyone approached reeffarmers asking for a current pic of there colony?If so what was the outcome?Tounglashing, or cold shoulder?

-Justin
Old 07/28/2006, 09:02 PM
Registered Member

check this out
sorry for sneaking in
http://www.reeffarmers.com/limitedpinklemonade.htm
We retired this coral in the summer of 2006 primarily because it color patterns morphed while in captivity and it no longer appears even remotely close to the images here. Apparently that has been a problem with some Micromussa corals
Old 07/28/2006, 09:11 PM
RC Sponsor

Location: Fringes of the REEF and cultural desert Arkansas, USA
Yes I had requested Pics from Reef farmers but I have still recieved no reply...

I was just at that link the other day and the lemonade was not retired then... they must have just retired it this week.

It now says "Retired Summer 2006" well there is a vendor saying it does not look this way anymore and at least kind of attempting to be forthright?

In a way??

I wonder about the Floyd?
Old 07/28/2006, 09:21 PM
Registered Member

Mysterious Tank crash at the last minute and reef farmers retired the coral???

hmm...

Pictures of someone's dead frag tank and an unplugged chiller?

Amazing coincidences...
Old 07/28/2006, 10:25 PM
Registered Member

i'm the one who took the pictures, with my camera, and my amateur skills. it was because i expected a backlash if i sent you pics directly from mike. o-ring and miguel- you guys have an open invitation to walk up to mike bae's house, straight from the man himself and you guys can take all the fancy pictures you like. in the mean time, don't you dare try to say i've set up some elaborate ruse.

here's some more directly from mike's mouth, er, keyboard?:

O-RING/picard/whatever: still can't substantiate the claim that i'm in talks trying to sell the pink lemonade to your "friend"? then just sit there and be quiet, because your word is about as good as dirt. seriously kid, anytime you're in la... let's have a very long talk about your issues with honesty, your passive aggressive tendencies and your utter inabilty to let things go without a dirty last word or sucker punch. i promise you, no, I SWEAR TO YOU, that you will walk away a remarkable change. you may even be able to finally join the human race. keep hope alive.

organism- don't you go and throw RC's user policy to shut mike up. i'm almost certain that you have VERY LITTLE clout here. my understanding is that you're lucky to even be here. didn't you just barely fly under the radar to avoid those sweeps when RC was booting price fixing/gouging micro sellers left and right? so are we to think that that makes YOU legit by some measure? and don't tell me you weren't hawking thos same "bleached" corals for MONTHS. cause i seen you do it. and with all your expertise, you're telling me that YOU DIDN't KNOW? wait, weren't you the same guy selling like 2 or 3 polyps of a pink micro on ebay for 800 bucks or more? your site and company was BUILT on selling these "bleached" micros... you think just because you've SOLD THEM ALL, aka "not selling them anymore" that that absolves you? if you think about it, you should also be nailing yourself to a cross, right after you assist these kind people in doing so to me. let me ask you- why so much love for the guy who screwed you so hard selling you thousands upon thousands of dollars in "bleached" micromussa? i mean he's practically got his hand in your bung and controlling you like a sock puppet. did he make things right for you? maybe he let you go in 50/50 on a few japanese or taiwanese shipments? get a spine man. i'm pretty familiar with the tactics. admit it, he's probably on the phone with you coaching you on what to say as you type this drivel up. in any case- FYI, I HAVE ABSOLUTELY ZERO PROBLEM WITH PERSONALLY REPORTING YOU TO FISH AND WILDLIFE and reporting your doings so that they keep a watchful eye on you and your tendency to import and sell smuggled livestock from illegal collecting zones (maybe even your special friend(s) hiding out in the shadows). don't play the moral card to carry out your dirty little agenda. it doesn't suit you.
done. really.
Mike Bae
btw- thanks to anyone speaking up on my behalf, a special thanks to microbubbles especially, mark, sang and john.

Last edited by microbubbles; 07/28/2006 at 10:39 PM.
Old 07/28/2006, 10:43 PM
Registered Member

Oh Avedis/Michael Bae...

Caring what you think about me $0.00
Threatening people in public $1.00
Attacking everyone for asking for proof $5.00

Admitting you are selling bleached corals through admitting someone else also does it - PRICELESS
Old 07/28/2006, 10:50 PM
RC Mod

This seems to have gotten out of hand. Closed so everyone has time to do a waterchange, and maybe forever.

Move on, nothing to see here...........