Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/26/2006, 03:05 PM
Registered Member

i know okiebones has 2 of these morphs. the floyds andthe lemonade and they are about the same as yours are!!they are not the advertised colors AT ALL!!i think the original pics were bleached corals just my 2 cents!i agree that this name = dollar thing is out of control!!
Old 07/26/2006, 03:21 PM
Waste Management

Wasen't this thread just closed (LOL)! Who cares if people like to give there color morphs funny little names..Big deal. The Zoa people sure do seem to be having fun with it . It's a whole different ball game when you get a coral that is pic misrepresented. After looking at the pic of the Pink Lemonade is that even the same coral as the one belowe it? I mean the original is Pink & yellow the second pic is Red, Purple, teal with green eyes???
Old 07/26/2006, 04:46 PM
Registered Member

I've been to Mike Be's house and I've seen these corals in person- he lives about a mile or two away from me. I know he got 86'ed here a long time ago and he's trying to get back. In my experince, he is a pretty staright shooter and isn't the type to screw people. when I saw the pink floyd and pink lemonade, they were fully open and the colors looked pretty close to the ones on frags.og. he had them under purple vho's at the time, way up high in the rockwork. I will call him and see if I can get a reply and pictures.
Old 07/26/2006, 04:46 PM
wears sex panther

Quote:
Originally posted by DonavonsReef
After looking at the pic of the Pink Lemonade is that even the same coral as the one belowe it? I mean the original is Pink & yellow the second pic is Red, Purple, teal with green eyes???

That's the sad part, they are the same exact coral for sure, but guess which pic gets more $$ per polyp...

There are no facts, only interpretations

-Nietzche
Old 07/26/2006, 04:48 PM
wears sex panther

Quote:
Originally posted by microbubbles
I will call him and see if I can get a reply and pictures.

personally, I'd believe nothing less that proveably recent pictures, but that's just me

-Nietzche
Old 07/26/2006, 05:26 PM
Registered Member

Why don't we wait and let the guy reply? let's give the guy a chance to speak before assembling the lynch mob, huh? I left a message about 30 minutes ago. Anf again, let me be clear when I say I've seen the corals on more than one occasion when buying other frags.
Old 07/26/2006, 05:27 PM
Registered Member

and I'll see if I can take the pics myself then.
Old 07/26/2006, 07:14 PM
Registered Member

this was emailed to me from mike earlier today:

well, i don't know what to say other than CORALS CAN CHANGE COLOR, PEOPLE. it is nothing new. take the purple monster- in some cases, it is pure purple and looks absolutley lovely. the owner will get many requests for a frag, and by the time the same frag (which has 100% of the same genetic material as the parent colony) finds its way into another's tank... whethre it be immediately or several months down the line... the coral can be almost toally brown. does it mean it's not a purple monster? you people have been in this hobby long enough to know that nothing is absolute in terms of color/morphology. i went through 2 tank crashed from the time i received these micromussas and they have gone through several changes within my own tanks... but today, they pretty freaking similar to the day they got them. i have them in a 90gallon with approx 200watts or actinic vho's and i've found them most conducive in bringing back the colors i had when i received them. i know i make a point of mentioning this to each and every person who buys a frag.
now, let me give you a quick break down on what happens during the fragging process- the micros (pink floyd and pink lemonade in particular) tend to excrete/expell xooanthellae once i dremel them away from the mother colonies. it's a stressful process. what that means is, they lose the very thing that gives them these unique colors. however, the loss is not permanent and the colors eventually return in a matter of weeks or short while beyond that. also, the shipping process causes considerable stress as well. this gentleman went ahead and threw them under halides (400watters, if i remember correctly?) and to me... that wasn't the smartest move. he emailed me several months after the fact and then stated the corals no longer look anything like what he remembers, and sends me pictures. with the exception of the oj (which looks like it took a terrible turn and possibly never recovered from the stress, in my opinion), i told him, although they've shifted considerably, they do look great (given the circumstances). i explained to him what kind of lights will bring about the same colors and what he can do to get them back there. i extended an earnest apology and made a point to offer some form of reparations when he began to attempt to strongarm me to send him free packages on my dime and throwing idle threats and wild accusations at me. then he goes ahead to try to crap on my name on frags.org and cries to you guys on rc.
in the case of the piece of work who started this thread- when he received his corals, they were exceptionally stressed. i recommended the lugols and strontium dip because he informed me that the corals were receeding and looked like they were not staying entirely attached to their skeleton. once again, stress. i recommended placing the corals under actinic lights to recover and
with that said, i have received a 2 or 3 notices from former buyers about color shift... and while i am sorry, i know what corals are in my tank, and i'm fully aware of the fact that colors change under different lighting schemes and different water parameters. i have experimented w/ all of these colonies in 3 different tanks in my home, and on several instances they have taken on personalities of their own. however, when returned to the tank with the vho's they have eventually regained their original coloration. and when i send them out, i send out the ones that sit under the vho's because that's what people are expecting. in anycase, becasue of the high dollar amount and the unusually volatile nature i've heard of the pink lemonade taking in other tanks, i have not sold a frag in months, despite many inquiries each week.
when i get home, i will take pictures of my pink lemonade and pink floyd so you people can see for yourself what it looks like in my tank. actualyl check that. I will take them in front of microbubbles and send them along with him, w/o resizing. or if he prefers, he can take the photos himself.
and Organism- do you know me? what's w/ the personal vendetta to attempt to villify me? i know you and i got the micros from the same place and maybe what YOU ended up with was bleached, but maybe that's something you should take up w/ the supplier, instead of this passive aggressive displacement, and trying to make me look bad? or maybe you're speaking on his behest? or maybe by knocking another seller of micromussa, maybe you think it'll ramp up your own business? either way, i implore you reefers on RC to look at motives instead of taking their statsments for face value.
Mike Bae
Old 07/26/2006, 07:39 PM
RC Sponsor

Location: Fringes of the REEF and cultural desert Arkansas, USA
Micheal,
Great to hear from you again LOL.

Your good name will be all put right... Your current pictures of these colonies will prove all of us to be wrong... Have you read the posts of others whose colonies look just as mine do? I also have recieved PMs from more who do not wish to enter this frey. I look forward to seeing the pictures of the current colonies as I have so many times requested...(Please as Miguel requested Use the Tupperware symbol to identify them as current) Your version of our contact is actually quite similar to mine just from your clouded perception... I actually Identified you as a stright shooter earlier in this post just misguided by some old pictures... I do believe that they may have looked like this after treatments prior to you recieving them but you continue to use these pics to sell your wares. Yes on your dime... You took me for $630.00 and continue to misrepresent at least 3 over priced micros that in no way will ever appear as the pictures unless they are treated in some Unnatural way. Most of us here fully understand "excrete/expell xooanthellae" we also understand lighting and shipping stress...This is one reason that I waited for them to heal after shipping as you had requested. You state " and when i send them out, i send out the ones that sit under the vho's because that's what people are expecting." I contacted you the very day they arrived because they were in no way anything close to what you had promised LOL I thought that you had shipped me the wrong package. I have been in contact with you both before and after the sale when they arrived so unhealthy and then continued contact with you guiding me in the many ways to restore that unique color combination. My contact with you was not out of the blue but simply following up as you had guided me to do... or perhaps forget to do? In many cases of slight color shifts yours is a rational explaination... EXCEPT in this case where the only real resemblance is possibly morphology but in no way does color bring creedance to these pictures... My lighting is as it always has been 2X250MH X4 hrs per day with actinics 4X110 VHO 11 hours per day... this is definitly more light than you have them under but as you requested I also had moved them to my PC tank for 3months which was only 90watts of PC 12 hours per day

You got me But I'll work hard to see that others do not fall prey... Better Idea why not just use accurate and current pictures that actually resemble the coral that you are selling as other reputable sources do. Your Micros are actually quite stunning in thier own right, just sell them for what they are NOT Pink, Orange, Yellow

Last edited by ReefDoctorMicromussas; 07/26/2006 at 07:51 PM.
Old 07/26/2006, 08:57 PM
Goniopora Aficionado

I think part of the problem is that buyers and sellers alike, either don't know, don't care, or get confused as to what a healthy and a beautiful coral is. The 3 ADVERTISED photos posted at the beginning of this thread contain images of corals whose colors may appear "beautiful", but are they "healthy" colors?
Maybe there are absolutes to coral coloration...........
Quote:
you people have been in this hobby long enough to know that nothing is absolute in terms of color/morphology.
Mike Bae
Old 07/26/2006, 08:58 PM
Moving Along

This is all alot of blowing smoke and splitting hairs. Yes we all know stress will make them expell there xoozanthella and lighting presents different color intensities within said coral, but why keep and advertise pictures of corals in that state?It would make sense to say "and this is what it will look like when its shipped to you.."and post that yellow and pink color. But those are MAJOR color shifts.

This is getting to be all to common of a practice im learning through my own experiences as well regarding online purchases of corals. I too was in a very similar boat.Bought a coral becuase of the blues,purples, and reds and green and got lavender and mint.Hmm maybe we should trade doctor64776

Bottom line,Im looking at a very stressed micro thats pink and yellow, but the healthy version shares no coralation. Dont take pics of stressed corals and name them accordingly to there most stressed state.Wait till they plump up and appear to be healthy then name it if you must to a true account of the colors of the coral.

I can completely relate to your frustration as like I said its happend to me.

Take this for example:

Almost makes your mouth water doesnt it? Well, it did mine. Enough to buy it.

Here it is in my tank:

Big difference eh?You may say well Justin, you know how different lights will yadda yadda...And this pic is from another online vendor who actually took a true account of the same coral I have and have seen in other tanks with different lighting which amazingly have a similar appearance to mine:

Point is, look at the dang pics yourselves guys. Stop the sensationalism! This will only help the community as a whole and stop the animosity and everyone will be happy. Trust me, if the pic the doc posted was on a websight for selling is it that hard to believe that people wouldnt be buying it up anyway?Cmon now

-Justin
Old 07/26/2006, 09:06 PM
Registered Member

hey doctor4776...
why don't we hold off on basically calling people a thief until we get some pictures huh? i'm setting something up with the guy now. you seem pretty hell bent on making a guy look bad who can't speak for himself. just wait it out. and i'll make sure i'll put today's paper or something in the pic... just like kidnapping proofs of life :P i have no idea what the heck my tupperware trick is.
just take a back seat and let's try to get to the bottom of this.
Old 07/26/2006, 09:33 PM
RC Sponsor

Location: Fringes of the REEF and cultural desert Arkansas, USA
Micro Bubbles Its all cool
Let me actually emphasize That I do not believe that Mr. Bae is a thief... He sent me some very nice corals... they are simply misrepresented.
If I had my way in a perfect world he would continue selling his morphs... Just with pictures of what the corals actually look like or I guess at least similar. I understand color shifts and lighting that is acceptable, even normal when we purchase corals simply by a picture... But these shifts are simply not natural and we all can see this. I really had not wanted this to become a bash session. What I did want was to Firstly, bring light to this subject and get Mr. Bae to respond to my issue and concerns Secondly, to see if others had had the same experience with these morphs, in this wish my vindication has been a success. I do respect your desire to defend a friend or aquiantance as you have and I anxiously await the photos that you are assisting in acquiring for all of us.
Old 07/26/2006, 11:04 PM
Registered Member

Dude, i was almost one of the victims of Michael Bae, when i finally told him why i wont be buying it (fellow reefers told me to avoid at all costs) he started cursing at me and sending me nasty emails of which i still have... We will never get to see those pictures, microbubbles, in the last post were you reiterated Mr. Bae (Avedis) you said pictures should be up soon, its been a few hours, no pictures...

Is he toying around in photoshop? I mean you would need a couple of hours with that software to get Mr. Bae's "old" pictures to look like the "new" one's he is about to (hopefully) take. So i will take a back seat with the doctor and wait and see your so called proof, and i will know if it was modified, if the picture is taken in the tank please be sure to take a picture of rocks/coraline/other corals just to make sure there are no color adjustments...
Old 07/27/2006, 12:12 AM
Registered Member

I inquired about his micros once buy decided against it b/c I didn't have the $$$. But anyways, I always like to see my corals in person before buying to avoid such problems. it'll also cut down on stress from shipping. I know a lot of people live far away from reefers so thats their only choice. I guess i'm lucky i live in so. cal.
Old 07/27/2006, 12:26 AM
Registered Member

Donovans reef alluded to the fact that they were deflated, a friend in the biz says that its common practice to wave a hand over them, and lords. As they draw in the colors get more intense. Anemones are similar. I think this acounts for the not so hot look of the originals, just not the bleaching/coloration issues.
Old 07/27/2006, 01:54 AM
why can't i love???

how about pics? that would really clear this up. i bet they look more like the docs do than the original pics posted.
Old 07/27/2006, 04:46 AM
Registered Member

i just got back from mike's place, after hanging out for a couple hours and you guys aren't going to believe this.
you ready?
when i called again later today mike was pretty distraught. he told me his tank holding almost all of his acan lords and micromussas crashed. TODAY. i went over to confirm and wow, it was terrible. his water was 94 degrees and the culprit wasn't a blackout. it was his DOG. this puppy english bulldog chewed the hell out of the power cord of the chiller and everything in his tank was stripped to the skeleton and hanging by mere filaments. every single polyp. i've been through a tank crash, but just considering the dollar amount here, it was one of the worst things i've seen yet in terms of reeftanks. give me a little bit and let me get the pics out of my camera, hosted and linked to rc. btw, any of you SOB's who are thinking "serves you rights" or "bad things happen to bad peoples" or "good riddances"- from the bottom of my heart, i hope you guys are next- because of all the jerk reefers that i've met, mike was one of the few that i'd actually want to hang out and have a few beers with and just talk shop. not to mention that he had a habit of pulling out the dremel and cutting me free frags after beer 6 or 7. because seriously, it seems to me that a lot of you people look for the worst in people and really need a hug or something.

Captainpicard- i just read all your correspondences w/ mike and it looked like you were just as much at fault as he was. both of you were insulting each other like kids, but i think YOU were the one talking mess about his family, sexual orientation and god knows what else. also, it seemed like HE was the one who didn't want to sell to YOU. correct me if i'm wrong... and he asked you repeatedly not to contact him further and you kept trying to get a last word in. pretty juvenile crap, if you ask me. i don't remember who started with the cursing, but seriously- you were saying some pretty gnarly stuff man.

doctor- i read the same of all your recent correspondences and it seemed to me that mike was willing to help you out in anyway, which you were open to... and then within a day you seemed to go bipolar on him. why didn't you wait to see what he was willing to do for you? his take was that he was out of town for the weekend. either way, i guess it matter little to none at this point. and i agree with everyone who says that your micros look amazing, even in the state that they're in. btw, mike says to leave them under uri actinic vho's, at the proportion that he uses and see what ends up happening. that goes for the 2 others that spoke out against him in this thread.

but for the record- i think it's safe to say that this discussion is over. i will post in a few or maybe tomorrow. it's 2:31am and i'm tired of mediating this poo-flinging war that doesn't even involve me directly. you guys have a good night and i hope you people remember that fish tanks are meant to remove stress.
Old 07/27/2006, 08:42 AM
Psuedo Member

what...you couldnt take a picture of the tank crash? too difficult?

I bought the pink lemonade micro frag from a gent in Conn. that had purchased from Bea over a year ago. He didnt like the color it had become (orangeish, greenish) so I bought it off him. Nice piece but just a Doc says...not yellow and pink. Its just sad when people see a way to rip people off and go for the throat. I know one seller that doesnt photochop her pics and thats JenDub. Best bet for sellers so that people dont get a linch mob after you...dont "misrepresent" your product.
Old 07/27/2006, 09:08 AM
why can't i love???

wow. tank crash at the perfect moment. now no one will ever see pics of these items...ever. it sucks if it's true but it does seem that the timing could not have been better.
Old 07/27/2006, 10:26 AM
Goniopora Aficionado

Quote:
this was emailed to me from mike earlier today:

.....but today, they pretty freaking similar to the day they got them. i have them in a 90gallon with approx 200watts or actinic vho's
Mike Bae
Quote:
his water was 94 degrees and the culprit wasn't a blackout. it was his DOG. this puppy english bulldog chewed the hell out of the power cord of the chiller and everything in his tank was stripped to the skeleton and hanging by mere filaments. every single polyp.
How does a 90g tank rise in temperature and crash so quickly with only 200w of vho's? Surely the house or apartment isn't that hot?
(doh!)
Old 07/27/2006, 10:29 AM
Registered Member

So I'm looking at ordering some micro's from a guy on Frags.org. Boker something with some numbers. I like his stuff better than anyones on there personally. Can anyone here recommend him?
Old 07/27/2006, 10:50 AM
wears sex panther

I'd have to say that that is the most conspicuously good timing that I have ever, ever seen. What's the probability of that, like 1 in 100,000? Good thing Tyree, honest vendor that he is, is going to be forthcoming with those pics of his colonies, right?

-Nietzche
Old 07/27/2006, 11:33 AM
Registered Member

this is a little fishy if you ask me!!i would love to see the pics of the (crashed tank) it just seems convienent ?
Old 07/27/2006, 12:13 PM
Registered Member

Microbubbles... or Avedis aka Michael Bae, whichever... First off this person never backed anything up when i asked him to, i kindly spoke to him on the phone asking him to show me updated pics of the colonies and he never did saying he didnt have a camera, then he sends me horrible and nasty emails that i found rather funny (just shows me who i am dealing with). I was the one who said go away but anyway that story of those emails going back and forth and about me questioning his sexuality is as obsurd as his corals looking anything like the picture and as unbelievable as his name is Michael Bae.

I have seen numerous coral morphs, changes in them and have never witness such outlandish changes in their spectrum, i have bought micro's from many people... The doctor being one of them and funny... it still looks like its picture ,every color and i have a completely different lighting sysytem. On that note i have never seen anyone of Mr. Bae's micro/acan's looking anything remotely close like the picture in 9 different tanks, so am i to believe that these heavenly colors only exist in his tank that has now crashed???

And still no pictures... and like i said before - We would of never seen them anyway, crash or no crash...