Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers

Old 07/25/2006, 10:06 PM
RC Sponsor

Location: Fringes of the REEF and cultural desert Arkansas, USA
Angry Pink Lemonade, Pink Floyd, OJ Simpson

I have collected Micros for 2 years and many of you are far more knowledgeable than I so I ask to see if any of you purchased the Michael Bae / ReefFarmers Pink Lemonade, Pink Floyd or OJ Simpson??? What colors have you ever been able to see with them because the frags that I received 6 months ago from Michael Look NOTHING like he or Reef Farmers advertises? Greatly misrepresented... I have Been told by Michael to immerse them in Stronium dips / Iodine dips/ and that my lighting is all wrong.... He has lead me in a continued circle of "Oh they just morph into different things" BS But no lighting I can think of will make them look the way the sales pics look. OK So I still think they are beautiful micros, they just are NOT what I paid for...

I requested some colony pics from Reef Farmers and have received no Response and Also from Michael but he never seems to be able to come up with anything but these sales pictures?? Michael Bae Was communicating with me telling me more things wrong with the morphing of these colonies and told me that if I would buy some more from him that he would give me free frags... Upon telling him that I did not wish to purchase additional frags he has ceased communications with me. Very reputable Reef Keepers tell me that these Micros were Bleached to obtain these colors and that it simply is bad business?

80 Gallon / 2X 250 watt Radium 20K MH with 4 X 110watt VHO

Does anyone have any pics of their colonies of these morphs? I would really like to see if ANYONE has a coloniy that even partially resembles what these people are pushing???

ADVERTISED Pink Lemonade

REAL Pink Lemonade

ADVERTISED Pink Floyd

REAL Pink Floyd

ADVERTISED OJ Simpson

REAL OJ Simpson

Last edited by ReefDoctorMicromussas; 07/25/2006 at 10:20 PM.
Old 07/25/2006, 10:24 PM
Registered Member

IME corals can morph into different colors depending on conditions. I have a coral that is purple in one tank and bright green in another.

As for those pics yours look better IMO. The so called "sales" pics look like corals starving for light to me. my advise is to never expect a coral to look like it does in a pic. I always find myself taking pics saying damn tha t looks better then the coral itself
Old 07/25/2006, 10:30 PM
Registered Member

also another thing I noticed is your pics are fully expanded polyps, the others are retracted and can show a little different coloring
Old 07/25/2006, 10:33 PM
RC Sponsor

Thank You Maddness I dooooo really love the micros they are JUST soooo Different than what was advertised I felt "Scammed"... Order a Cadillac and walk away with a Lincoln. I too have micros that look differently under different lighting and in different tanks just not this drastically I really think that these were perhaps Bleached? or had some other "UNNATURAL" LOL alterations
Old 07/25/2006, 10:35 PM
Registered Member

Yes but the cadilac isn't 12 different colors

I doubt Tyree would alter his photo's at all if he is personally taking them. He is an honest cat IMO
Old 07/25/2006, 10:35 PM
RC Sponsor

Yes,

Michael had me soak the Micros in Stronium and Iodine to room temps to get them to pull in but really the colors were still the same just retracted

Excellent point though
Old 07/25/2006, 10:38 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by doctor64776
Yes,

Michael had me soak the Micros in Stronium and Iodine to room temps to get them to pull in but really the colors were still the same just retracted

Excellent point though
Never heard of a stronium dip but I do know stronium levels need maintained in the tank or it could cause polyp bailout in acans/micros
Old 07/25/2006, 10:40 PM
RC Sponsor

Yes Tyree = Honest cat

But also probably Michael = Honest Cat.... Just when these pictures were taken the micros had been.... "Altered" Tyree was supposedly given this colony by Michael... I would really love to see the colony now? after the Bleach has worn off... I politely requested pics but have gotten no response... I bet Tyree is a busy guy

I dont even think that Michael did it to them I bet they came into the country this way

My Issue I guess is that these pictures are still being used to sell these corals... These pictures cant be matched Because probably the colonies do not look this way anymore... They look like my colonies
Old 07/25/2006, 11:29 PM
Goniopora Aficionado

Re: Pink Lemonade, Pink Floyd, OJ Simpson

Quote:
Originally posted by doctor64776

-I have Been told by Michael............that my lighting is all wrong.

-But no lighting I can think of will make them look the way the sales pics look.

-Very reputable Reef Keepers tell me that these Micros were Bleached to obtain these colors and that it simply is bad business[/IMG]
I know absolutely nothing about micros specifically, but to me it looks like bleached coloration due to too strong of lighting. Maybe that is why your "lighting is all wrong"? Yours isn't strong enough to bleach them out.
Plus, in the ADVERTISED photos, the polyps look all drawn in and stressed. In the REAL photos they look inflated and healthy.
Old 07/25/2006, 11:58 PM
why can't i love???

your pics look like the healthy version of those micros...and they are really nice btw.
Old 07/26/2006, 12:02 AM
Sannin

corals are nice but all the names are getting rediculous.
Old 07/26/2006, 12:51 AM
Moving Along

Quote:
Originally posted by tetra
corals are nice but all the names are getting rediculous.
Agreed :/

Btw, what the hell did OJ do to get a coral named after him

-Justin
Old 07/26/2006, 03:18 AM
Premium Member

Yeah, they looked bleached in the sales pic. They always have IMO. Still, I think your "after" pics look a ton better, especially that Pink Lemonade.

The OJ however.......I bet the real OJ is out there, and you sould never stop looking.
Old 07/26/2006, 05:39 AM
Registered Member

I also bought the Pink Floyd which looks exactly like yours. I know I have read somewhere that alot of the pinks will turn red.

When I received the Pink Floyd it did not even look Michaels pictures. Non the less your pictures make the corals look much better IMO.
Old 07/26/2006, 07:01 AM
RC Sponsor

Thanks alot for the compliments guys... I agree they are really nice micros I would really still like to get some Yellow ringed Pink mouthed morphs LOL I prob should not have started the thread with a frowny face BUT instead used a Questioning face. You all have valid points

It is good to hear another reefer that bought the morph has ended up with the same color pattern and that it is not just me I would stilll really like to see some pics of colonies
Old 07/26/2006, 07:25 AM
Premium Member

Re: Re: Pink Lemonade, Pink Floyd, OJ Simpson

[/QUOTE]
Plus, in the ADVERTISED photos, the polyps look all drawn in and stressed. In the REAL photos they look inflated and healthy. [/B][/QUOTE]

I agree with John Kelly, Yours look better so if it was me I would be happy
Old 07/26/2006, 11:01 AM
Registered Member

Looking at the pictures, it is obvious that the BEFORE pictures are bleached out micros. The AFTER pictures are more then likely the color of the morph. They look better, but still they are not what you paid for them.
Looking back, I believe when these micros and some red lords were coming into the market, they were being pass on as pink, when they were indeed a bleach/starving red.
Old 07/26/2006, 12:15 PM
RC Sponsor

Thats really what I think now .... But when I bought them I was just too lamer to know that . I thought that I was buying Pink,,,, Pink and yellow rimmed and even orange frags

Caveat Emptor

Both sellers are still useing those photos for sales though and that is just .... well

Fraudulent and Misleading
Old 07/26/2006, 12:31 PM
wears sex panther

I think what it comes down to is, are they being advertised as "pink when bleached under high lighting" or "pink"? because to me, while it's in the eye of the beholder as to which one looks "better" or which ones "may look like that under certain lighting", those are certainly not the advertised micros, and are undoubtedly not worth what they're being sold for. come on guys, let's be reasonable here, if you bought a pink micro, and it turned red, you didn't buy a pink micro, you bought a fraudulently advertised red micro, no matter if it's nicer or not. If it was me, I'd be really, really ****ed. also, all this talk of those vendors being "honest", you know what honest people would do? They'd post pics of how the micros look under regular reef lighting and unstressed, that way people can decide whether to buy their (in my opinion) overpriced red micros or not, because honest people aren't out to make a buck selling corals that 9 times out of 10 will look completely different once they go back to their non stressed colors, corals that, in all probability, look nothing like that even in those vendors tanks anymore

just my 2 cents...

There are no facts, only interpretations

-Nietzche
Old 07/26/2006, 01:06 PM
Registered Member

I can't speak for the other two but the pink floyd I have looks pretty much the same as your picture. (red instead of pink)
Old 07/26/2006, 01:11 PM
Premium Member

i agree completely with organism and about the names and limited edition, thats b... because who can garantee that the fishermen out there are not gonna find some huge colonies of the pink floyd, o.j or whatever funny names, what then ? are they no longer L.E.,
c'mon guys, thats all market tools to increase the prices, they are beautiful corals and no doubt they are not common but those sellers dont build the corals so who can guarantee me that i have a L.E and tomorrow the market is not gonna be full of the same s..., and about the misleading in colors you just have to look in ebay, sometimes is really offensive. ok guys have fun.

enrique
Old 07/26/2006, 01:18 PM
Waste Management

Purple Lemonade,
Red Floyd,
Blue J Simpson

Never buy Micros when all you have to go by is a picture with retracted polyps, the color will always look more intense.
Old 07/26/2006, 02:00 PM
RC Sponsor

LOL Love the new names

I am still kinda chuckling I sent this post to Michael Bae to get his input... Maybe he could post some pics of what his corals mother colonies actually look like LOL With todays Newspaper in the background ah Hhahahaha.
It is good to hear that the others who were scammed in this have colonies that look the same as mine.... Pretty but not at all like the pictures... I really knew that it wasnt just my lighting / tank ect... My other micros vary some with lighting and mood but not like this

I totally support MARKETING new names, hype and all of that. It is a part of any hobby LOL Nascar, Baseball ect .... But when you hype you should still be honest <---- there is the key to hype

Thanks guys/gals for the input and responses
Old 07/26/2006, 02:16 PM
wears sex panther

lol, actually I was thinking the same thing, get a picture of the colony, in a tupperware container, with the day's paper on the bottom, that way no one can shop in an old picture, since I doubt they'd have taken an old one in tubberware... either way it's a moot point, there will be no colony pictures, because the micros obviously don't look like that anymore, if they ever did for longer than a few weeks, and it's in the "honest" vendors' best interest to keep the original pictures in order to be able to get pink micro prices for red micros

There are no facts, only interpretations

-Nietzche
Old 07/26/2006, 02:47 PM
OSU Who?Catch Me If U Can

the names people come up for corals now days, I am not sure to shake my head in disgust with the names they are given or the people who give them the names. I have Ridicoulous Ruby Red Acan Lord with Green Meanie Stripes, oh I am aksing a bazillion dollars a head so if interested PM me. They are nice micros but everyone now days seems to care more about the name given to the coral rather than what it looks like.