Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > SCUBA/Snorkeling
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/15/2005, 12:16 PM
Premium Member

Steve, needless to say those are some awesome pics.
Do you mind if I use one of the trigger pics as my avatar?

Also thanks for the info. I am a couple of years away from planning a dive trip of a lifetime and that region is on top of the list. I now have some reading to do!
Old 11/30/2005, 12:18 AM
Registered Member

Ritz Carlton going in on Bora Bora? There goes the neighborhood LOL. I love the poshness of the little bungalows over the 5 star resorts any day. I hope the french don't fry their little gem by allowing a crap load of resorts on that island. Awesome pics Steve.
Old 11/30/2005, 04:07 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Great Pics. We sent November of 2003 and stayed at Le Meriden. Amazing and we keep saying it 2 years later. The Viz is like nothing else I have ever experienced. Thanks for sharing the photos.
Old 11/30/2005, 07:17 PM
Registered Member

Actually, the island politics have a ceiling of 1500 rooms...which will now be reached with the new additions. The Ritz, as well as the new Four Seasons, Intercontinental, and St Regis, are all bungalow accomodations.....just a little bigger than the other resorts on the island. My bungalow was about 1000 sq. ft. I hear the Ritz's smallest will be around 1500 sq. ft.
Old 12/04/2005, 11:32 PM
Registered Member

We just came back from Bora Bora in August. Stayed at Le Maitai in the overwater bungalows. The overwaters were exceptional but the other rooms would have been ok if on a budget. Can't wait to go back.

Did you go to the "Coral Gardens?"
Old 12/05/2005, 10:18 AM
Registered Member

We did dive Coral Gardens twice....but, the amount of coral was much better outside the lagoon.
Old 12/05/2005, 02:46 PM
Registered Member

Yes, the coral over by the rays were just awesome as well as out by the motu. Damn I want to go back.

Nice pictures... thanks.
Old 12/13/2005, 11:49 PM
Registered Member

Steve I really love the pics. That purple coral in the second set of pics is awesome! Do you know what species that is? And how would you feel about me doing a oil painting of the diver sarrounded by fish? I could do that for you in trade for a frag from your tank. I'm pretty close to you allthough I have never seen your tank in person. I would love to come over and see it sometime.
Old 12/14/2005, 10:25 AM
Registered Member

You're welcome to visit anytime. There is a local club here (PNWMAS) which has this months meeting next Sunday the 18th. Sometimes meetings are at my house.

That purple coral is an encrusting montiopora.

The oil painting sounds interesting. I would have an interest.
Old 12/14/2005, 02:18 PM
Registered Member

Ya I have been on the PNWMAS board. I'm not a member of the club however as of yet. I'm robz on that board. I was the one who called you the aquascape Jedi on the post for Randys new 300 gal. tank. I hope you diden't take offence to it. I was just trying to throw a little humor in there Anyhou I am an aspireing part time artist and am always looking for really good underwater pics to put on canvas. I think the pic of the diver is a great shot and if it is someone you know then it would be a really great surprise. Sometimes it is hard to find a way to get your art into peoples homes, so if you are really interested I would be glad to paint that for you. Let me know for sure, and I'll get started. I can go as pretty big on the canvas, so kind of think about how big you would want the painting to be, and let me know. Thanks for your interest Rob.
Old 12/14/2005, 11:50 PM
Registered Member

Actually....the diver is my other half.....but, she is very particular about artwork in the house. Pretty much all our paintings are originals from well known artists....some of whom have pieces in the Hermitage (sp ? basically the Russian Louvre)......she has a few connections in the art world from her days of working with a well known local gallery. All our paintings/portraits coordinate with our home colors......so, a diving/fish theme will not fit in.....but, there are other possible locations....let me think about it.
Old 12/15/2005, 03:14 AM
Registered Member

Wow sounds like she is a huge art buff. I thought that was probably your other half. I can understand your hesitation. I am not a professional artist by any stretch of the iminagiton. However would not have said anything if I thought I could not give a good representation of the shot. I'm sure you have tons of great shots from various locations. I have done some landscape paintings as well as realism. Christian Lassen is one of my favorite artists and is basically the reason I started painting. After a trip to Lahina in 96 with my wife we stumbled on Lassen galeries and I was amazed at his work. I have actullay only been painting for 2 years so I am still learning a lot of techniques, and experimenting with new mediums. I could e-mail you some of my work so you can get an idea of my talent level. Thanks again for all the great shots of your vacation. The sunset shot with the overwater bungalows is a real gem too.
Old 12/15/2005, 10:45 AM
Registered Member

I've seen Lassens work several times while in Lahina too. I think he is also in Laguna beach. I'll think about it....can you PM me with anticipated canvas size ???
Old 12/15/2005, 09:35 PM
Registered Member

You have PM Steve.
Old 12/17/2005, 12:26 PM
Premium Member

We visited several islands last year. Riatia was my favorite. The shallow water snorkeling is unbelievable. Lots of clams and coral everywhere. If you are on a budget there are hotels to stay at that are not near as pricey as the overwater bungalows. Of all the islands we visited Bora Bora was for sure the most expensive. Everyone should save their money to go. The water clarity is amazing. Even if all you do is snorkel there is plenty to see, do make sure you have at least a shorty or you will get cold before you finish seeing all you can see.

Another tip. Go to the Tahiti Air website and sign up for flight deal notifications. There are some on right now, of course from LA, that get you there and back for $400 or less. My husband and I are getting up in years so the stop in LA gives us a chance to stretch or legs before the longer leg of the trip.
Old 12/18/2005, 01:02 PM
Registered Member

We stayed at the intercontinental Bora Bora 1/05 (which I think is now the "old one" as the new one there is completed) and it was pretty nice - I agree with what steve says - the resorts are not what I would call five stars by other standards but are nice - we stayed in an overwater bungalow and the snorkeling all the way out to the break was great (roughly half mile and was not deeper than five feet) tons of maximas embedded in rocks but not a great amount of SPS
Old 12/18/2005, 04:32 PM
Registered Member

Dolt....that hotel was taken out by a freak high swell this past September. All the over water bungalows were destroyed. The swell came in at 10pm.....imagine the guest's tryig to gather their belongings in the middle of the night and trying to reach shore as the water was inundating their room. The hotel is being reconstructed and is to reopen maybe in June 06.
Old 12/18/2005, 06:45 PM
Registered Member

wow - I was not aware of that - kinda scary - maybe I will rethink staying in overwater bungalows in the future! We had also been in bali just a few months before the first bombing a few years ago hanging out in those same areas - maybe bad luck follows me! (or maybe I am lucky to have avoided two disasters?)
Old 12/28/2005, 12:04 PM
Registered Member

what kind of water temperatures do they usually have there? after seeing your pictures i may have to try and make that the destination for my honeymoon which will probably be in march or april of 2007 but my other half will not be happy if it is cold. is the snorkeling just as good as the diving or is most of the good stuff below snorkeling levels. thanks and great pics
Jason
Old 12/28/2005, 12:50 PM
Registered Member

water temps are 78 - 80. Snorkelling is very good to great there.....much better than Hawaii.
Old 12/28/2005, 01:07 PM
Premium Member

I agree. The shallow water snorkeling is great there. I think the water temps when we were there in late August was around to 84. There is a inlet between Riatia and Tahaa where the coral heads are so close to the surface that you have to be very careful to not touch them. We got there by boat but there is a resort within swimming distance of this inlet with the over water bungelows, not sure which one it was but it would not be hard to figure out. From what we learned, while checking out several of the islands, there is good snorkeling at all of them. The people are friendly and will tell you where to go.
Old 12/28/2005, 01:13 PM
Registered Member

i figured i would try to stay at least 5-7 days but may be shorter just because i would have to go all out for the wife and have the overwater bungalows. where did you guys look for the flights and were you able to get like a packaged deal or did you try and book a flight first and then the hotel since i looked at one point and the there were no flights when i was looking at a specific day to book a room. thanks
Old 12/28/2005, 01:40 PM
Registered Member

It usually is best to go through a travel agent who specializes in the South Pacific. There are lots of transfer that need to be accounted for and they're used to dealing with them. For example, for our trip there we had....flt from LAX to Papeete...transfer to hotel until morning flight to Bora Bora....then transfer back to airport in morning.....then flt to Bora Bora..... then boat transfer to hotel on Bora Bora....and then the same going back. Here's a great website/forums on Tahiti

http://www.tahiti-explorer.com/cgi-b...ultimatebb.cgi
Old 12/28/2005, 01:50 PM
Registered Member

Thank you very much for the help now i am just going to have to save up for the extra costs of this trip but it will be well worth it. as long as i can find a baby sitter for the tanks and nothing dies this time. thanks again and any more information would be greatly appreciated.
Jason
Old 12/28/2005, 02:09 PM
Premium Member

If you go to Air Tahiti Nui's website there will be some package deals there for different numbers of days. You also might want to look at the Princess cruise lines site. They have a 9 and also an 11 day cruise around the different islands. You can have advanced reservations on the different islands to dive or snorkel as well as many other activities. It is not very expensive considering you get all you want to eat on a cruise and they can also arrange your air too.

The Air Tahiti flights are only on certan days on those days there are two that leave LAX each day in the afternoon. The returns are late in the evenings with you arriving in LA in the morning of the next day.

I have found some fair deals on packages on Travelocity as well.

It is not like going to a third world country where you are in danger in Polyniesia. It is easy to get around you just need to factor out where you want to go and how you will get there. You will most likely have to spend the arrival night in Papeete unless you are going to Moorea. It might be possible to get there the night you arrive. Not sure about that however. There is a ferry that goes over but I don't remember the scheduled times. I am sure if you go on any of the Tahiti info sites you can find that out.

If you are not a seasoned traveler you might want to stick with a package or cruise so that all the details are worked out for you. Keep in mind that Bora Bora is very expensive compared to the other islands which should be factored in on meals as well. I am fairly certain there are over water bungelows on all of the islands but that is easy to research.

I am sure you would both love it there.