Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge

Old 01/08/2008, 10:57 AM
Registered Member

what can i expect to pay for a new roof?

this place is 11 years old now and i have GOT to put a new roof on this year. this will be the first one.

it's a 16' x 80' mobile home. gary's brother, who has a home improvement business, will do it and i know he won't charge me as much as he would another customer but i want to be fair so, given the fact that i will just use average-priced materials, what can i expect to pay? i know it varies from location to location so i just need a ballpark figure.

i'm not going with anything fancy, i have another very important expense this summer...gary's headstone. i priced memorial benches yesterday and they are upwards of $2,500. i know that's what gary would have liked to have so i'm prepared to spend whatever i have to.
Old 01/08/2008, 10:58 AM
Registered Member

Re: what can i expect to pay for a new roof?

Quote:
Originally posted by Nina51
what can I expect to pay for a new roof

money

“The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.” - Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 01/08/2008, 11:04 AM
Registered Member

Nina, to do that roof here on Long Island, if it's just two slopes, no dormers or complicated valleys, would cost almost $10,000.00. That's on Long Island. You should be able to get it done for 3/4 that or perhaps less.

"If anyone offers you pigeon milk, say no thanks." - Fat Man.
Old 01/08/2008, 11:06 AM
Guardian of Little People

Nina, call the local lumberyard and ask what the going rate is per square for roofing contractors in your area. Each square is 100 sq ft of roofing area, so your home would be about 13 or 14 squares (assuming some waste).

I would imagine your home would be a fairly easy job, since there won't be any severe pitches or unusual shapes to the roof.

Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant
Old 01/08/2008, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by batguano
Nina, to do that roof here on Long Island, if it's just two slopes, no dormers or complicated valleys, would cost almost $10,000.00. That's on Long Island. You should be able to get it done for 3/4 that or perhaps less.
Jim, I think the prices are substantially less in this area. I would be surprised if it was half that cost.

Old 01/08/2008, 11:27 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by batguano
damn 'er, jim! hold on while i pick myself up off the floor. not that i need a reason NOT to move to long island but you just gave me one.

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianD
Nina, call the local lumberyard and ask what the going rate is per square for roofing contractors in your area. Each square is 100 sq ft of roofing area, so your home would be about 13 or 14 squares (assuming some waste).

I would imagine your home would be a fairly easy job, since there won't be any severe pitches or unusual shapes to the roof.
thanks, brian. yes, this would be as easy a job as there is. just 2 slopes, nothing fancy. gary has a brother who has his own business but all of his other brothers could do this work in their sleep. i'm sure they will all get together when the time comes and i'll have a new roof at warp speed without having to sell my soul to the devil to pay for it.
Old 01/08/2008, 11:32 AM
Registered Member

Yes, living on Long Island is just ridiculous sometimes. When Summer comes and we're lying and the kids are playing on white sand beaches it's all worth it. If you have people, use em! Have Gary's brothers do it, you know that they will want to and you'll have a great time while they're there.

"If anyone offers you pigeon milk, say no thanks." - Fat Man.
Old 01/08/2008, 11:41 AM
Team RC Member

In Oklahoma, it was 5000.00 in 1995 to do a 2500 sq foot flat roof. You're about half that, I think, and if it is a mobile-style roof it might be a lot less flashing around pipes and other costs. If framed-in and shingled, different: if you opt to build a frame and shingles for gosh sake get the right pitch to the shingles: I had a major problem with one house that they didn't---get the right pitch, that is. Shingles work because they are pitched to shed rain like a duck's back. Less angle, water stays longer, and you get leaks.
They also make a real neat material that is like a rubber mat you cut to fit and lay down first, and on a narrow-ish flat roof, that stuff is great. We had all sorts of trouble on one section until we had that put on, and zero leaks after that.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 01/08/2008, 11:44 AM

Wow, I can't believe something is actually cheaper in Illinois than other states. I guess it is because everybody and their brother around here is a roofing contractor.

Old 01/08/2008, 11:52 AM
Dino - Victim of Women

Quote:
Wow, I can't believe something is actually cheaper in Illinois than other states. I guess it is because everybody and their brother around here is a roofing contractor.
I think its the same around here too! A couple years ago we completely redid our one barn and I think it was only like $5 or 6,000 after everything was said and done, and that's with materials, equipment (had to get a lift as about half of the roof is at a 75 degree slope and between 12-35ft off the ground), and labor.

"And who could have ever guess that Dino is apparently the smartest man on the planet?" - jgoodrich71
Old 01/08/2008, 12:17 PM
Premium Member

We had a new roof put on our last house about three years ago. Don't remember the sq. ft. (house was a 2400 sq ft tri-level), but it was lightweight tile, four slopes, three dormers(sp), lots of vents, two chimneys. That cost us about $11,000, and this is California. I'd have to think you could git 'er done for substantially less.
Old 01/08/2008, 12:24 PM
667 (Evil and then some)

I'm with Sk8r, my parents' roof job was $6,000 but that was a fairly large house with a couple of pitches on the roof and it included a tear off.

I would think a mobile home roof would be on the order of $2,000 to $3,000 without the family discount.
Old 01/08/2008, 12:31 PM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

Nina, shingles here one state over are $33 per square. You are looking at 13 square or 14 at the most to do your roof. If you only have one layer of shingles on it right now you can shingle over top of those but only if there is one layer and there should only be one since you say the home is only 11 years old. The basic minimum life of shingles is 20 years so you should only be looking at $500 at the most for materials.
Old 01/08/2008, 12:56 PM
Registered Member

there is only one layer of shingles since we bought this place brand new but gary always said even with one layer, he would do a tear off so that's what i'm planning.

shingles here are between $40 and $60/square. the higher end ones are "architectural" which i don't care about so i'll go with mid-priced ones. i mean c'mon, this is a mobile home out in the middle of nowhere and the only people who see it are me, gary's family and the 2 or 3 friends i have who drop in occasionally. the vacuum cleaner salesman who gets hopelessly lost doesn't count. so, i don't care about looking fancy, i just want functional.

gary's brother is checking in to prices for me as i type. i'm guessing you, mutt, aren't far off in your estimate. i love that his brothers are all eager to help. i know i won't get gouged and i won't have to dicker. i'll just have to make sure there's plenty of heineken iced down for the end of the work days.
Old 01/08/2008, 01:19 PM
in the bathtub

Nina materials will be about the same wherever you are. Labor is the variable for differing cost by geography. If you have just one layer I would leave it on and save some labor/back haul costs. As far as tearing it off I believe Gary was just being a perfectionist, many men are when it comes to building things.

Ed: "I hate to tell you this Dr., but there aren't any fish in that river. In fact, there isn't any river."
Dr. Lao: "That's ok. Me no use bait."
Old 01/08/2008, 01:24 PM
Team RC Member

Timberline is a good type.
In Oklahoma, where I had roofing done, they say 4 layers is as much shingling-over as you ought to do: when you hit a potential 5 layers of shingles is time to strip it down and do-over.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 01/08/2008, 02:08 PM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

Tearing off the one and only layer of shingles is not necessary and is truely a waste of time and money. Standard practice is to layer over the first layer of shingles.
Old 01/08/2008, 03:30 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Fat Man
Nina materials will be about the same wherever you are. Labor is the variable for differing cost by geography. If you have just one layer I would leave it on and save some labor/back haul costs. As far as tearing it off I believe Gary was just being a perfectionist, many men are when it comes to building things.
oh fatmanmysweet, if you only knew! gary was the epitome of perfectionist. nothing, and i mean nothing, inside or outside this place is anything but perfectly level and i haven't come across anything i could undo easily. if it required 2 screws, it always got 4. if it required a little of this or a little of that, it always got extra.

yes jeff, i know it's standard practice to shingle over one layer but since labor won't cost me as much as it would if i hired outside the family, i want to do this the way gary would have done it. don'tchya know, he IS gonna be supervising.
Old 01/08/2008, 03:32 PM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

LOL!!! Gotcha.
Old 01/08/2008, 03:35 PM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

I've got a 1400 square foot house. I paid $16,000 (but that was for tile)

Nuclear winter solves global warming.
Old 01/08/2008, 03:40 PM
Medieval French Monkey

Nina, do you have a flat roof, or does it have a pitch to it? If it's flat, you might want to consider one of those seamless rubber-type roofs instead of shingles?

(Not that I'd really know....this discussion is way too butch for me).
Old 01/08/2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by beerguy
I've got a 1400 square foot house. I paid $16,000 (but that was for tile)
I paid $18,000 for my first house.

Old 01/08/2008, 03:49 PM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

Quote:
I paid $18,000 for my first house.

You live in a soybean field.

Nuclear winter solves global warming.
Old 01/08/2008, 03:51 PM

Only every other year.

Old 01/08/2008, 03:58 PM
Registered Member

Just had a 24 by 58 foot mobile home done including one layer of tear off plus the dumpster to get rid of everything ,and a 30year timberline shinglle with ice gaurd done for 3000 dollars.Shop around a bit because if you pay more than 4000 in my opinion your being ripped off