Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Tampa Bay Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/11/2008, 05:52 AM
Premium Member

Friday vs Sat meetings

I know we agreed to give a try to the Friday night meetings. Reason i bring this up again, I would love to attend all meetings, but its turning out to be difficult to make these Friday meetings. I personally work an hour from home, and by the time i get home and wife gets home and take care of the kids and all else we do on a daily basis it gets late and dark fast...and then trying to find a place u never been becomes more difficult. As much as i want to see Rogers and Pedros tank...i just dont see how i could make it there without me and my wife leaving work early.

Just my two cents worth...i am not crazy about the 2 o'clock time on sats, but at least there is no pressure to get home and fight traffic to go back out again.

I think if the turnout isnt high again like we have been having...Sues, Mikes, etc... then we rethink Saturdays again!!!

Thanks for listening....hope someone will take pics tonight!

Sorry Roger that the wife and i wont be able to get there.

Ben
Old 01/11/2008, 06:57 AM
Premium Member

Same here. I would love to see Rogers tank but it is impossible to fight with the traffic after work and try to pick up some food before getting there ... etc ... I am not going to be able to go.
Old 01/11/2008, 08:18 AM
Premium Member

I agree, I will almost never be able to make Friday meetings. I am usually taking my kids to a friends, mall, movie etc.
Old 01/11/2008, 08:43 AM
Registered Member

Its also hard on me and steph. She works at the base and that an hour on a good day to home. Then its jump back in the car and leave. And for the most part we will more than likely be late anyway. Its hard to make it if you work normal hours unless you happen to live near the meeting. Im going to give it a try tonight. I dont know if we will be making many friday meetings tho.
Old 01/11/2008, 10:07 AM
Registered Member

Same here - I'm going to try and get out of work early. I hope for the best.
Old 01/11/2008, 10:11 AM
Registered Member

It is one of those "you can not win" situations.

What I see is that on Friday night, you have people that would be rushed, late, what have you.

On Saturday afternoon you have anyone with kids running into all the scheduling difficulties of having kids and their schedules to deal with.

Then you have the rare third situation, I can not make either day. That is me this week. I am typing this from Jacksonville, and I have no idea when I will be home.

Personally both suck for me, but at least with Friday it is only a pain for me and I am not disappointing my two kids because Daddy is missing their important stuff.

What can we do to make everyone happy???? Tough Question. We are not ruling out Saturday meetings, in fact, April will be on a Saturday, and we will have at least one guest speaker, a raffle, maybe more.

Currently we are looking at Friday nights for Feb and March.

We are open to suggestions. Every time I have polled it the group was evenly split,

I wish I had a magic answer, but I do not, sorry.

I Brake for FRAGS!
Tampa Bay Reef Club
Old 01/11/2008, 10:16 AM
Premium Member

What about saturday morning? we can at least try and see if we get more people.
Old 01/11/2008, 10:44 AM
Registered Member

Aside from Saturday afternoon, the only viable option I could see is Saturday Evening. If it had to be a weekend, maybe Sunday evening would work, not sure about that either. But, by 5pm Sunday all I want to do is relax, and getting up for a TBRC meeting, remembering to forget raffle tickets, and everything else is far from relaxing.

Monica, Tampa's geography and their farm from perfect road system makes any time a difficult time. I really do not think we can find a day that makes everyone happy. Maybe we do an every other month thing rotating between Friday and Saturday. That would at least give the largest number the biggest opportunity to at least attend some meetings.

No decisions will be made here, the Board will have to discuss all of this. Of course if any of you are interested in being on the board and helping to guide the club along, please let us know. We have a Treasurer position open, and we are able and willing to create positions to help fill the needs of the club as we go along.

I Brake for FRAGS!
Tampa Bay Reef Club
Old 01/11/2008, 11:02 AM
Premium Member

I think alternating could be a good idea...at least i can go to the sat meetings, and when a meeting is close by i may be able to get to a friday one as well.
Old 01/11/2008, 11:43 AM
Registered Member

I agree it sounds like the most fair way to do it for everyone.
Old 01/11/2008, 01:38 PM
Membership Director/TBRC

Wanna try Saturday at my place for Feb? What time would be best?
Old 01/11/2008, 01:43 PM
Registered Member

Sure let's Try Sat for Feb. 2pm or 5pm?

I Brake for FRAGS!
Tampa Bay Reef Club
Old 01/11/2008, 02:00 PM
Membership Director/TBRC

I'm ok any time.

Members you decide, but after 10AM and before 9PM. Please;-)

Last edited by plc001; 01/11/2008 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01/11/2008, 02:43 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WarDaddy
Sure let's Try Sat for Feb. 2pm or 5pm?
both are good for me...glad u are willing to switch Pedro!
Old 01/11/2008, 05:19 PM
Registered Member

saturdays.. fridays are impossible.. good post ben
Old 01/11/2008, 05:55 PM
Registered Member

as the only single guy in the club, I don't really relish getting together on either Friday or Saturday night! But you can't please all of the m people all of the time...

I have a Temple Terrace movie discussion group that meets on the second Saturday of each month at 3 to 5 PM...
Old 01/11/2008, 09:18 PM
Premium Member

I like 10 - 10:30 am
Old 01/11/2008, 09:41 PM
Registered Member

I was really looking forward to making it out tonight but by time I got home, fed the kids, and was ready to it was 7pm. The drive would have been another 40-45 minutes for me to get there.

I vote for Saturday morning and around 10am would be great. This way you still have the rest of the day to catch up on other things.
Old 01/11/2008, 10:52 PM
Premium Member

Well,
It was a great meeting tonight. Roger's tank is beautiful. We all must go back again next year for another meeting as he traded in all his softies the other day and is only doing sps and it would be great to see how much they have grown by next year.

We discussed the meeting day and times as well and we would like to try a Saturday night at 6pm. Would everybod be willing to give that a try at Pedro's next month? I have not discussed the March meeting with our host yet and I am hosting the April meeting which I think will have to start at an earlier time as we have so much to do with a frag/equiptment swap as well as a speaker and raffle. Not to mention all the food we will have to eat!

Pedro I believe is going to start a poll so everybody vote please!

Sue
Old 01/11/2008, 10:54 PM
Registered Member

5pm-7pm for me

Don't keep track of how much money you spend on your system. You will enjoy it much more that way :-)
Old 01/11/2008, 11:02 PM
Premium Member

One of the Atlanta clubs I was in had them at 10:00 Sat morning. The meeting was done by noon and the rest of the day was open to spend with the family. The other club held their meetings on a Tuesday night at 8:00pm. That allowed traffic to die down and not rush everyone.
Old 01/11/2008, 11:08 PM
Premium Member

The problem with that is most of our meetings go over two hours and people like to linger and stay longer sometimes. If it was a Saturday night most people can treat it like a night out once a month without the kids or with if needed) and not worry about what time to come home unless they have to work the next day.
Old 01/12/2008, 12:05 AM
Membership Director/TBRC

Here it is:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1291974