Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge

Old 12/20/2007, 08:56 PM
Registered Member

BOOM!!!

think it'll fit in my trunk?

“The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.” - Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 12/20/2007, 09:04 PM
Premium Member

These are the subs I ordered.

Old 12/20/2007, 09:04 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drauka99
BOOM!!!

think it'll fit in my trunk?

Uhhh. . . . What?
Old 12/20/2007, 09:49 PM
Registered Member

those look nice... duel voice coil... you gonna run then sealed? ported??? bandpass?? ( SP ?) i like bandpass the best.. the best of both worlds.. solid bass with travel... man.. this brings me back to all those speaker boxes i made... 3/4'' mdf ( medium density fiberbord ) carpet.. silicone.. ( i use to buy those "speaker box" carpet .. man.. then one day i walked into a auto store and grabed a roll of dashbord carpet.. almost the same.. and cheaper...

ps.. out family thumper is a 2000 z71 silvarado pumping 2800 watts.. 2 10'' HX2 ( wanted 12'' but no space, only available space was under the bench ... thats why we had to make our own box.. a 1 cu ft sealed box...) on 1 mono blocks pumping 1000 each and the 5 1/4 and 4x6 plates ( both infinity ) are powered by a hifonics.. then to go deth with the chirping.. a pair of infinity 1'' tweeter.. ( those rock!! chirp like crazy for $100 )

Happy thumping

YzGyz

2nd best way is to learn from ones own mistakes but the best way to learn is from others...

thx to Randy and so many other for making reefing that much easier
Old 12/20/2007, 10:10 PM
Premium Member

I picked up a Q logic dual 12" box for $50.00 at Frys. It can be ran sealed or slot ported, so I'll try it both ways. I like band pass also but for regular rock and roll the frequency response is lacking. My favorite tune with the band pass is "Block Rockin Beats" from "The Chemical Brothers" Thats the tune that pinned my fuzz buster to the windshield and prevented my vocal cords from making their own sounds!!! I ordered a 2200 watt RMS mono amp to run them and a 4 farad cap.

I also like a good set of mids and tweets so we will see how the factory stuff (seperate full range and tweets in my 2007 Fusion) will make out when I can turnt he bass off to them. I think they will be ok. I had the Cadence subs recommended to me over the Pioneer Premier TSW3001-D4. I hope I made the right choice.
Old 12/20/2007, 11:45 PM
SpEd Man

For some incredible low bass listen to the beginning of Metallica's The Struggle Within! It doesn't sound very loud, but your guts shakin let you know there's some bass going on. Nothing Else Matters hit pretty good too.
Old 12/21/2007, 12:10 AM
Registered Member

I think you should be fine. I had 2 12"s in my car(s) for a few years. Not sure of the DB but they were 600 Watts each
Old 12/21/2007, 12:33 AM
Here comes the Gators

Sherm71tank, what brand of sub is that? How many watts are rms does each 12 get? Your 12s won't do anything to your windows especially with only a 50 dollar box .

I had one Kicker L7 15. Man that thing was loud and I was only giving it about 800 watts. I can't imagine it at around 2000! I am now about to install two L7 15s. All I need is my box.

What gauge wiring are you using?

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

Anyone that thinks the SEC isn't the best conference is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 12/21/2007, 12:52 AM
Premium Member

It's a Cadence sub. Each 12 is rated at 800 watts rms although I did alot of shopping and found subs rated much higher with significantly less construction. The 50 dollar box at Frys is 3/4" mdf throughout and is at least as good as the Q logic Best Buy sells at 180.00

crab0000 thanks for sharing but anything metallica did after and justice for all is suck ***.
Old 12/21/2007, 06:42 AM
Registered Member

I heve two 15 's in a vw bug .... i've never broke any of my windows.
Old 12/21/2007, 01:03 PM
Here comes the Gators

Quote:
Originally posted by sherm71tank
It's a Cadence sub. Each 12 is rated at 800 watts rms although I did alot of shopping and found subs rated much higher with significantly less construction. The 50 dollar box at Frys is 3/4" mdf throughout and is at least as good as the Q logic Best Buy sells at 180.00

crab0000 thanks for sharing but anything metallica did after and justice for all is suck ***.
Never heard of Cadence before and I have been into car audio a couple years. I checked the sub you bought out and it seems to be pretty decent. If you give it the proper amp, it should wang in your car. What gauge wiring are you using? 1/0? 4?

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 12/21/2007, 01:16 PM
Premium Member

I ran 4 gauge. I hadn't heard of them either. I had a chance to get the Pioneer Premier TSW3001-D4 12's for less than the Cadence but was told the Cadence subs were made better and under rated.
crab0000, I'm just messin' around!
Old 12/21/2007, 02:19 PM
Dumb Hobbiest

I ran 4 12" Kappas in my Grand Cherrokee. Never broke any glass but it did crack one quarter panel!

I think my hearing suffered as well.

We used to put in the bass test db cd in and roll the windows up and see who could last the longest sitting in it!
Old 12/21/2007, 02:47 PM
Premium Member

Old 12/21/2007, 03:30 PM
SpEd Man

Quote:
Originally posted by sherm71tank
I ran 4 gauge. I hadn't heard of them either. I had a chance to get the Pioneer Premier TSW3001-D4 12's for less than the Cadence but was told the Cadence subs were made better and under rated.
crab0000, I'm just messin' around!
No problem; I don't really like any of their stuff after the Metallica CD either.
Old 12/21/2007, 03:34 PM
Here comes the Gators

Anyone heard of Steve Meade? Man, that guy has 4 18 fully loaded BTLS. 20,000 watts and it is just plain nasty. Type his name in youtube and you will see a ton of videos of him.

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 12/22/2007, 12:24 AM
Registered Member

HUM REEF

.. that super loud!!! 15'' in a hatchback type is killer.. you really feel your chest pumping then.. ( watch that though guys/gals.. it feels good ( onw of those hurt soo good) but that means its getting closer to stopping your heart i heard...)

J BLAZE

how do those kappa sound?? the review and spec seem really nice but i have yet to hear them.. i love there mid and hi range stuff... i have yet to hear mid and hi range like the infinity kappas... ( next up are the kenwood exalons sp? ) can you compare them to anything els? in the type of bass it plays?? ie.. kicker solo bericks are more solid... audiobahns are more hollow and traenling like.. and jl are inbetween .. semi solid and traveling.. ( at least the w5 are)

ahh cadence... i know those look somwhat familiar.. those where "the trucks" first upgrade speakers.. till we blow them out.. they are purdy nice.. clean hi imo... and yes.. there spekers look really nice.. all shiny chrome like... gain.. im a infinity guy though.. dads house audio system has a pair of Infinity Ovature 3 series (SP?) powered by Carver preamp and amp ( they where re-bought after a switch in ownership.. John Caver ( i think that his name)... bought it back and changed it to Sunfire...

YzGyz

2nd best way is to learn from ones own mistakes but the best way to learn is from others...

Old 12/22/2007, 12:35 AM
Premium Member

Bob Carver. My Buddy has Bob Carver Signature audio and it's seriously sick.
Old 12/22/2007, 12:52 AM
Registered Member

yeah.. they look plain with the two metal handles.. but if you even trid to pick one up.. CRAPPPOOLAA.. they are heavy...

but if you think those are nice.. you should look are the Krells.. or tha Mac's.. those are nice.. glowing green with needles!!! friggin odd combo but nice.. they pulled it off with old school needles and futuristic look..

YzGyz

Old 12/22/2007, 08:30 AM
Dumb Hobbiest

Love the Kappas. I ran them with 2 sets of Kappa 6.5" Component sets. The subs were in a sealed enclosure with 1 cu ft per sub. They had a very tight bass and hit hard and low. I never had a problem with them.

The only subs I had to compare to were a Polk DB and a Alpine type R, both were 12's and both sounded nice.

I am pretty brand loyal to infinity. I have a 12" reference in my standard cab chevy truck being pushed by a 200 watt MTX amp and it hits very hard as well. It is plenty of bass for a bass head in the small cab truck, and too much bass for non heads!

The kappas would hit very cleanly with little input to them as well.

I will have to find a pic of them.
Old 12/22/2007, 10:03 AM
Here comes the Gators

sherm71tank, how many cubic feet is your box going to be?

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 12/22/2007, 10:06 AM
Dumb Hobbiest

Oh, My reference in my pick up is only a 10" and it does the job great.

I have tried many different type boxes, and I prefer sealed enclosures. As long as they are sizes right for the sub, and you give the sub rms watts on the higher side of its range, I don't think you can beat them.
Old 12/22/2007, 10:08 AM
Here comes the Gators

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Blaze
Oh, My reference in my pick up is only a 10" and it does the job great.

I have tried many different type boxes, and I prefer sealed enclosures. As long as they are sizes right for the sub, and you give the sub rms watts on the higher side of its range, I don't think you can beat them.
A bigger, ported enclosure is going to get louder and lower everytime over sealed.

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 12/22/2007, 10:15 AM
Dumb Hobbiest

Ported enclosures take a little more "knowledge" to build right, with port tuning and all, take up more space, and sound 'sloppy or loose" imo.

But, it really depends on what you are going for, what music you listen to, etc...
Old 12/22/2007, 10:18 AM
Dumb Hobbiest

From Crutchfields website,

"Sealed boxes: For deep, precise bass
A sealed box is an airtight enclosure housing your subwoofer. A sealed box is best for any music that demands tight, accurate bass. Expect flat response (not excessively boomy), deep bass extension, and excellent power handling. Since a sealed enclosure tends to require more power than a ported box, use an amplifier with ample wattage for optimum performance.

Ported boxes: For forceful bass
Ported boxes use a vent (called a port) to reinforce low bass response. You get more output than you would from a sealed box at any given amplifier wattage. Some people prefer the sound of ported boxes for rock, heavy metal, or any hard-driving music. Ported boxes can deliver deeper bass than sealed boxes, though they need to be much larger than sealed enclosures to accomplish that.

The Q-Logic ported boxes we offer come with pre-cut port holes (sealed with a plastic port plug) and trimmable ports.

Bandpass boxes: Maximum slam!
Bandpass boxes are a special type of ported box designed for maximum slam. The woofer is mounted inside a dual-chambered box (one chamber sealed, the other ported), with the sound waves emerging from the ported side. The sound that comes out of the port is extra loud within a narrow frequency range.

Because bandpass boxes are super efficient within that range, they tend to boom. Their aggressive sound is great for rap, reggae, and hard rock. Not all subwoofers work well in bandpass boxes, though; consult our product information or call a Product Advisor to be sure. "