Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum

Old 08/20/2007, 11:40 PM
Registered Member

Clown fish breeding log ( I hope )

I finaly am going to try to raise some fry. Mommy is a true perc and Daddy is a Ocellaris. Both are about 3 years old. The last hatch all I did was extract from display tank, just to see if I could do it. All went well. I now have 10 gallons of rotifers going that I feed paste to. BBS and selco are on the way as well as the book clowfishes. I really dont know what I am doing, I have read every forum on the net about raising them and feel I have a good idea on how to do it. Now comes the hand on part. We will see. I will try and do a daily update with pics so everyone can follow along and see my mistakes. More for later, here is some pics...Pugi

day 1
Old 08/20/2007, 11:42 PM
Registered Member

day 2
Old 08/20/2007, 11:42 PM
Registered Member

day 3
Old 08/20/2007, 11:44 PM
Registered Member

day 4. This clutch was down a little in count this time only 350 eggs...Pugi
Old 08/21/2007, 01:15 PM
Registered Member

Day 5. Crazy day, looks like one of my rotifer tanks started to crash, I think it was over populated but I am not really sure. I did a 50%waterchange/harvest on both rotifer tanks we will see in the morning if it worked. When I removed the water out of the display tank for the rotifer tank I drained the sump to low and left the heater exposed. Not thinking I added more water right on heater and broke the hot glass. I just bought the heater 10 days ago...OH Well. And to top it all off my BTA decided to move, he is about 3/4" from last nights location. Hope this does not screw the clutch up now that it is below rather than the side of the BTA...Pugi

Old 08/21/2007, 02:22 PM
Registered Member

wow what r u going to do with all those babies?
Old 08/21/2007, 02:28 PM
Premium Member

What size is your display tank ? Is this the second batch of eggs ?
Old 08/21/2007, 02:29 PM
Registered Member

Well if I actually raise some I will find homes for them. Not in it for pofit, this is a fun project for my sons and I. I hope they learn a bit about the food chain and how nature works. Myself I just enjoy the challenge...Pugi
Old 08/21/2007, 02:36 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by agsansoo
What size is your display tank ? Is this the second batch of eggs ?
The display is only a 55g. This is the second clutch since I have owned them. I got them in a rescue of a 55 that was being torn appart. Both the fish and the BTA were in bad shape. Now they are very happy and in great shape. From what I was told they have been spawning for about a year to year and a half. Pugi

Old 08/22/2007, 10:33 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Pugidogs
The display is only a 55g. This is the second clutch since I have owned them. I got them in a rescue of a 55 that was being torn appart. Both the fish and the BTA were in bad shape. Now they are very happy and in great shape. From what I was told they have been spawning for about a year to year and a half. Pugi
That's great ! I hope you have better luck than me. LOL My hardest thing is getting the fry out of my display tank. I see you have placed a tile next to the anemone, and some eggs are on the tile and most are on the rock next to it. Did they lay their eggs on the tile the first time ? Also do you have a plan to catch the fry that hatch from the rock ?

Andy
Old 08/22/2007, 11:00 AM
Registered Member

Day 6, I am doing another 50% harvest on the rotifers today, they seem to be OK. Should know in the morning for sure. Today you can see a pupil in the shiny eyes. Getting closer. Pugi

Old 08/22/2007, 11:10 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by agsansoo
That's great ! I hope you have better luck than me. LOL My hardest thing is getting the fry out of my display tank. I see you have placed a tile next to the anemone, and some eggs are on the tile and most are on the rock next to it. Did they lay their eggs on the tile the first time ? Also do you have a plan to catch the fry that hatch from the rock ?

Andy
Andy, The first clutch was all on the rock, I put the tile there for the second clutch, It kinda worked in that Mommy laid about 1/4 of the eggs on it, I will have to cover the rock they are using with it next time. The first hatch all I did was remove the the fry with a flashlight taped up with a small 1/16th cut through the tape. Not to much light. And a small glass bowl. It took about 1 1/2 hours to get them. I estimated about an 90% retrieval rate from the display tank. I have some plans to make a snagger but have not had time. I think on this hatch it is flashlite and bowl again. Hope to get the eggs all on the tile next time, that would save some lives and time...Pugi
Old 08/23/2007, 11:15 AM
Registered Member

Day 7, Took a count today, looks to be about 275 left. Its getting harder to get Daddy off the nest, must be getting very close. Last nest Daddy spent the day of the hatch fanning the eggs all day, I don't think he even took a break to eat. I will be watching him closely....Pugi

Old 08/23/2007, 11:27 AM
The Incredible Mr. Limpet

What other tankmates do you have? if so do any of them try to bother the clowns?

I have a pair that are a few years old and when they start cleaning a spot and doing the wiggle thing other fish come in and bother them so much they stop.
Old 08/23/2007, 11:35 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by D-Rod
What other tankmates do you have? if so do any of them try to bother the clowns?

I have a pair that are a few years old and when they start cleaning a spot and doing the wiggle thing other fish come in and bother them so much they stop.
4 green chromis, pink striped prawn goby, 6 line wrasse, coral banded shrimp, hermits and snails. Anything that gets close to the anenome with or without eggs Daddy will flat thump. He may be small in size but he is a mean SOB. He rules the roost as long as Mommy lets him ....Pugi
Old 08/23/2007, 12:59 PM
10 & Over Club

Those eyes are reflecting quite well in that photo. Odds are good that tonight is the hatch. Good luck with them

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 08/23/2007, 01:19 PM
Premium Member

D-Rod,
I have a spawning pair of maroons. Nothing gets close to their anemone with a challenge from the larger female. If I place a coral too close, she'll attack it too. I have caught our cleaner shrimp eating hatched baby clowns in the display tank.
Old 08/23/2007, 01:39 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by billsreef
Those eyes are reflecting quite well in that photo. Odds are good that tonight is the hatch. Good luck with them
Bill, Temps in the tank have not been consistant with me dropping the temp from 83 to 80 over a couple days to get rotifers ready, then my heater broke, with the new heater it was about 78*. So it is hard to get a read on it. Hopefully the next clutch it will be constant so I can start to learn their spawning cycle a little better....Pugi
Old 08/23/2007, 02:04 PM
Registered Member

Question for the experts, When co-culturing rotifers in the larvae tank is it still a good idea to gut load the rotifers before adding? Pugi
Old 08/23/2007, 02:22 PM
Premium Member

I say yes. Though I'm far from being an expert. Bill is the one to answer this question !
Old 08/23/2007, 02:40 PM
10 & Over Club

Definitely make sure those rot's are well fed and gut loaded when you put in the rearing tank. No point in adding starved food. You want maximum nutrition available at all daylight hours

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 08/23/2007, 02:46 PM
Registered Member

Will do, thanx guys!!! Like I said sucsess or failure we will see it all here. I am sure it will help, looks like my book " clownfishes will be here tonight...Pugi
Old 08/24/2007, 10:19 AM
Registered Member

Day 8, Still waiting. I was all ready and shut off the pumps and checked after a while and nothing. Maybe tonight? Any guesses? Pugi

Ever get the feeling you are being watched.

Old 08/24/2007, 07:55 PM
Registered Member

Have you tried this site from the Houston club? It's what I've been using as a guide, and I think I'm finally getting the knack of this. www.marshreef.com/files/raisingclownfish.doc Currently have 8 survivors from my first attempt that are 64 days old, and approximately 40 from the last hatch that are 22 days old. Instead of using a tile, you might want to try a small clay flower pot. My pair seem to like it because they can better guard the eggs. Once you know what night your eggs hatch, you can be fairly sure all others will hatch after the same number of nights. With my pair, it's the 6th night. If you have any questions, let me know. I'm no expert, but I think it's starting to fall in place for me.

Good luck !!!!!!!

Last edited by tedr; 08/24/2007 at 08:27 PM.
Old 08/25/2007, 11:01 AM
Registered Member

tedr, thanx for the help. Quick update, last night only about 15 hatched, I scooped them up and put in larvae tank. Took a quick look at rotifers and they crashed again!!! I would say 90 to 95% floating on top. Did a 50% water change on the rotifers in hoping I will have some for in the morning, I am sure the rest of the clutch will hatch tonight. The 15 I got last night were dead this morning, I dont know why. Frusteration is starting to set in!!! Pugi